• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball VS Conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpkiller said:
True enough. Hot air balloons were in use in 1783 so I guess it would be traditional to hunt Elk with a flintlock from one of them. ;-)

now THAT would be an air show!

And illegal, in Kansas any way! :grin:
But wait! Are we going by "traditional" game regs or by current game regs? :hmm:

ooo, good question. now we can get into a heated debate about the HC/PC of balloon fuel. i can see it now, which paper fibers did they use? cotton, papyrus, wood? the possibilities are endless.

I really enjoy shooting PRB because it's easy to load, has less recoil, and is very accurate in the one ML I *had at the time.* I have finally gotten two larger calibers and all I intend to shoot in those is PRB. (I have however a box of .54 GPB and .58 TC Maxi-hunters but that's just by chance).

Greg

Just fer fun.....traditional is a state of mind.

Sometimes i put on my buckskins i braintanned and killed and hunt with my wooden bow i built or the flintlock i built.

Sometimes i lay out the mat and spotting scope and down a deer at 700 yards or more with a gun i assembled and handloaded for.

Taken one all three ways this year.

Just food for thought. State of mind. Not total person.

People can disagree on something without personal offense or insult.
The printed word is a difficult medium. It lacks the facial expressions and body language that would be part of the conversation over tea and crumpets. So its easier to seem too abrupt or unyielding. Trying to post and get to some other chore or job may result in a post that may not be as polite as is intended. The comments and replies may be more cryptic than a verbal conversation might be.
That paragraph is probably the best all around statement I have ever seen on any hunting site ever! well thought out, well written and oh-so-true. Thank you for that :hmm:

armymedic.2 said:
Just fer fun.....traditional is a state of mind.

Sometimes i put on my buckskins i braintanned and killed and hunt with my wooden bow i built or the flintlock i built.

Sometimes i lay out the mat and spotting scope and down a deer at 700 yards or more with a gun i assembled and handloaded for.

Taken one all three ways this year.

Just food for thought. State of mind. Not total person.

Here...Here :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: Lets all enjoy the sport as we see it through our own eyes.

Trailboy said:
Can someone explain the pro's and con's of round ball vs conical.

Distance, accuracy, etc...

Thanks

Tim

Jumping in a little late her but pros and cons based on WHAT?...
To 100 yards and killing game there is very little practical differance. I shoot a .54 with a RB barrel and will but it up agenst most cenerfire guns to 100 yards. Open sights make further shots moot more then not, in real hunting situations anyway...

Now if you are into "long range" target shooting then there is a differant discussion to be had.

Look two things! I am worn out trying to get socks on our roosters! :rotf: And I live in the land of 100 pound deer so I have never considered anything other than a PRB.

Latest posts

Back