• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball VS Conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that's what I said, Stump. The most accurate load is the way to go. While I've killed a couple of deer at 100yds + & -, My average shot is more like 30 yards. Prb is all I use and I have no complaints with the terminal effects.

BrownBear said:
Goodenuff to settle the question once and for all for this Westerner. The rules started changing when folks moved west, and holding to Eastern standards today won't change the history of the West.

Didn't try and don't have to. There is nowhere in the U.S. the round ball didn't precede the conical. The Promyshlenniki (Russian fur hunters in America) in the Northwest with smoothbores. The Spanish/Mexicans carrying escopeta in the Southwest (California, Texas, ec.), Tulle fusils of the French voyageurs spreading West off the Ohio, Red and Mississippi Rivers. All smoothbores shooting round balls. Even shorter range than the round ball shooting rifles that came later.

Having shot elk and deer w/ both PRBs and 410 gr Buffalo Bullets, my preference is the PRB. The elk and deer shot w/ both travelled less than 50 yds after the shot, but the reasons I prefer the PRB is the lower mid range height when zeroed at 100 yds and because the mid range height is excessive w/ the BB at 100 yds, the zero has to be 60 yds.

Another reason for going w/ the PRB...conicals in a clean bbl move off the powder charge and have to be checked a few times while hunting.

Both the PRBs and conicals will do the job...it's mainly a matter of personal preference....Fred

I have barrels that are 1/28 twist for conicals and 1/70 or 1/66 twist for round ball. I hunt only deer during our flintlock only season here in Pennsylvania. I have used both for deer and I prefer the round ball.

I don't like the possibility of a conical moving off the charge so I don't use them; it's just not worth the risk; one mistake and serious injury could happen. I don't the need extra power or range that a conical can provide. Rather than use a 400 grain .50 caliber bullet I would prefer a 279 grain .58 ball.

I guess I just like patching the round ball for my flinters and I sure like shooting them more than a conical anyday.

I like the extra horsepower that comes with conicals,but I'm hunting with a .45 TC Hawken for BIG CDN deer that can top 300 lbs on the hoof and having recently moved from the east coast to Alberta,hoping to scratch elk off the bucket list this fall.
.45 PRBs are only 130-140gr range whereas .45 maxis are 250gr and I've been VERY impressed with the way 325gr .45 Buffalo Bullets thump eastern whitetails DRT!!.....wouldn't hesitate or think twice about using them for elk.

And fwiw,I haven't found a projectile that this lil 1:48 TC barrel doesn't like from .445 PRBs to 250 maxis to 325 BBs,they are all Minute of Deer Heart accurate @ 100yds.I use PRB for plinking,small game and coyotes,conicals for deer and larger.

hanshi said:
From what I've seen, conicals penetrate better than prb but don't expand nearly as well as prb. Take your pick...........
........,,PRB are traditional and proven, cheaper, recoil less, give higher velocities, expand very well, penetrate much better than you'd expect and drop deer quickly, maybe even faster than conicals.
Maybe you otta have a look at this?
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...d/253379/post/937476/hl//fromsearch/1/#937476

Now....what was that you were saying about PRBs maybe dropping deer quicker than conicals? :yakyak:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all conicals move off the powder. Poor fitting conicals can move off the powder. Paper patched conicals don't move off the powder. Ron

I use a 409 gr paper patched bullet in my 45 hot rod hawken. In Idaho we can't use that bullet for elk in a muzzleloader. I can use it in a 45-70 to kill an elk but not a muzzleloader. The minimum cal for elk hunting is 50. I wish they would go with bullet weight instead of caliber. Ron

Paper patched is the only way I will load a Hornady Great Plains bullet in my rifle for hunting. I wish they fit snug right out of the box but they don't. I have the same barrels as you have and the accuracy is fantastic with the 385 and 410 .50 caliber bullets.

If I was set up to size conicals for my barrel it would be fine and paper patched with one wrap on a clean barrel fit great. I just don't need them here in PA where the round ball and flinters reign; and besides my barrels shoot some of the bad bullets that we don't talk about real well and they will never slide off the charge.

I turned back to the round ball after messing with the conicals for a while; but I can't see the need for flattening stuff at close range.

Good luck to you and your son this year Ron; look forward to your posts. :thumbsup:

Not all conicals move off the powder. Poor fitting conicals can move off the powder

Bingo. Worked up loads for my .50 TC New Englander. The 370 grain TC Maxi-Ball is too loose. The 320 grain TC Maxi-Ball is a very tight fit: Got to pound on the short starter to engage the rifling. It fits tight all the way down the bore. That bullet will not move off the powder in my gun.

One of these days I'll figure out how to do the Paper patch without them looking like :barf: . What I've done with the Minie balls is to wrap them with Teflon plumbers tape. The fit snug all the way down and stay put.

The point of hunting with a ML, to me, is to hunt with a firearm similar to those my forefathers used (my grandfather hunted with a ML as a boy), it allows me to experience things as my forefathers did. I get a higher level of satisfaction from shooting game with my flintlock than with a BPCR and far more than from hunting with a modern CF.

If the first shot is good reloading is irrelevant so lets dispense with that, reliability is not a factor either. So using a HV L.R. "ML" is just like using a modern CF. OK I guess, except in too many states the shooter can use the thing in a ML season.
As I recall all the ML big game seasons were set up through the efforts of people shooting traditional RB rifles. In many cases they had to PROVE the rifles they wanted to use were capable. Many of these seasons are now overrun with "moderns" hunting with the various plastic stocked monstrosities shooting solid copper bullets at 2200 fps with T7 lit with a shotgun primer that were not even a gleam in anyone's eye in 1965. So the ML shooters who got the season enacted to allow them to hunt with traditional ML rifles have lost their season to people who only see it as a way to hunt another season. The hunting pressure is higher, the game more spooked the guy hunting with the traditional ML gets screwed and is little or no better off than if he had no ML season and just hunted in the general season. The "modern ML hunter" could not care less about the history or tradition. They just want the ML to look like and perform as much as possible like their 30-06. So they can hunt the special season with as little inconvenience as possible. This has made a lot on money for the makers of "modern muzzleloaders", various moder bullets, poly sabots, solid copper bullets and semi-smokeless "ml" powders none of which have anything to do with traditional MLs.
How is a 400 gr PP in a ML different than the same bullet in the 45-70?
Its not.
The advantage is in the increased range, assuming the hunter can take advantage of it.
How is a "ML" with a plastic stock, a 4-12 scope and a plastic saboted jacketed bullet that will make 200 yards kills easy different than a 30-06? Its not really, especially from the standpoint of a guy hunting with an iron sighted 50 caliber flintlock. Most game is killed inside 200 yards unless the hunter is some "long range pursuit" Type so a 200-220 yard rifle 90% or more of a 30-06.

This is why ALL the ML seasons need to be primitive weapons, TYPICAL OF 1830 seasons. PP bullets, even the cloth patched Picket was virtually unknown in 1830. People that want to shoot conicals from their ML are simply scamming the system, they want to use the ML season but they don't want to have to bother to stalk the animal to traditional ML range. Then when they cannot use their modern technology stuff they whine about it.
I hunt wide open country too but I am not hung up on how big the horns are. If I see a REALLY big one I shoot him if I can but I have passed old white faced 4 point mule deer to shoot the spike that was with him. I shoot a lot of does when the tags are available.
If I want to shoot something farther than I can with a traditional ML, 150 yards or so, I might use a 45-70 with smokeless but generally I use a Swedish Mauser or a 308 etc but its not really hunting as I hunt with a ML. Its getting the supplies in the freezer to the proper level. Its not the hunting I do for personal satisfaction.

Unless you are VERY good at range estimation, if you intend to shoot even elk at 300 with a BP load you best have a range finder. A big bull with the right lighting can look "300" and be closer to 450.
If someone can find me an account of the naked, paper patched or cloth patched elongated bullet being used for HUNTING GAME to any significant extent in the United States before the cartridge era I would love to see it.
We have letters written to the Sharps Rifle Co circa 1871. Stating how much easier it is to kill antelope and other such game that is hard to approach than it was with the rifles they had previously. Putting 400 gr bullet in a ML backed with 80-90 gr of powder makes it virtually identical to a large capacity 40 to 50 caliber Sharps. So its EASIER. It changes the ML into a breech loader in range performance. Its not traditional.
The simple fact is that the naked bullet is not usable in a ML HORSEBACK. The gun unless carried muzzle up will unload itself (this is documented). The same goes for the PP though it will have a little more bore friction. How did people often travel in the 19th century? How did they carry the rifle when horseback?
The cloth patched Picket bullet simply will not produce consistent or often ANY accuracy without a guide starter which generally adds about a pound the to weight the hunter has to carry and is very fragile, time comsuming and requires careful work on a lathe the replace when damaged.

I hunt with a ML a lot. If Montana were to consider adopting a ML season I would fight it tooth and nail unless the rules were written in a manner that excluded all elongated projectiles and required a rifle typical of 1830-35.
There are occasional rumbles about a ML season. Not surprisingly I understand this comes from the Modern ML makers hoping to open up a new market.

So... People who hunt with bulleted MLs are not shooting traditional muzzleloaders that would be typical of the era. It requires a level of delusional thinking to come to any other conclusion based on history. But since it loads from the muzzle people can pretend they are shooting a traditional ML, at least if it has a wooden stock.

"Conical" Cons? Higher breech pressure, greatly increases nipple erosion, excess gas escape at the nipple/vent, heavy recoil, stock damage if the shooter tries to make flat trajectory in some rifles. Less effective on game than a RB of the same weight marginal with RBs of the same caliber. Higher trajectory over normal hunting distances when shooting BP.
Advanatage? At 100-150 yards it will make a bigger hole in the hillside behind the animal it passes through than the round ball that passes through the same animal.
I suggest that people read "The Sporting Rifle and its Projectiles" by Forsythe.
Its free online. Its not much for science, internal ballistics etc. but his trajectories and effects on game are easily repeatable today.
His quotes of Sir Samuel Baker are good too.
This should talk the reader to a comparison table on pg 94. http://archive.org/stream/sportingriflean00forsgoog#page/n113/mode/2up
People have to understand the the conical in several forms was being tried on game by 1850 and it was invariably found to at best be no better than a RB and often was seriously inferior especially for heavy game in Africa and Asia.

It has been shown in modern times that a 54 Maxi-Ball is inferior to the 54 rb even on large game like moose. This from hunters in Canada. But this is not something the bullet shooters care to hear.
Bottom line is this. If the RB don't work its either poorly placed or too small for the game being shot.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
:hatsoff:

Though I don't care about the added season. I use my traditional muzzleloaders (usually a flinter) during the regular season.

For years in NY the muzzleloading season was one week - and that translates to two days (Sat & Sun) for most hunters. I wouldn't buy a muzzleoader for two days of hunting. But happily they are OK during the regular gun season.

We only get one season to choose. Archery, ML, Modern. Now you can use a bow or ML during the modern season but you have have a tag for the modern season and hunt only in that season.

We used to be able to hunt all three seasons but that went away when they figured they could make more money splitting them up.

I have not problem with RB. I use a conical for the Buffalo as a need for the added weight for penetration. With that said, my second buffalo was with a hard cast RB in .62 cal. Added weight and hard cast did the trick.

:yakyak: :yakyak: That is what we get every time from you Dan you :stir: . If the world was according to you. Guess what,, It is not and even more, this site does not feel the same as you. Thank God.

Primiteve seasons that limit to 1830. Really? I mean why not 1725? or 1213? I that where your rifle lands? You want to get rid of YOUR competition???

Find you an account of PP bullets that were significantly used as hunting bullet. Guess what we don't have to. We can use them all we want and post it here and the Game department says fine and dandy. The rules here say it is fine and dandy.

I am truly sorry that you feel that you have to spend so much of your time trying to force PRB's down the throats of the people that don't wish to partake in them.

On another note. My son was shooting gallon jugs with his Paper Patched bullets out to 150 yards with cross sticks. I hope he gets the chance to pound one. Ron

When shooting round ball in the .69 I just think of it as a pre-expanded shorty conical. :)

By the way, I think maybe the .678" round ball with LOOB coated canvas is going to work in the Armisport Fremont. Today with Jacks Battle showed promise.

You repeat yourself a lot too.
There is more to hunting that seeing how far away you can shoot something.

I submit I have likely shot more PP than you have.
I understand the bullet very well. I have never shot I know what it will do and how far it will shoot. I have shot a number of animals with them including elk. But a bullet in a BPCR is a different proposition than in a ML. The PP slug predates the metallic cartridge as does the GG bullet.

So while these bullets appeared in the early second quarter of the 19th century or maybe before, but they were specialty use bullets at the time as was the cloth patched picket.
I once built a underhammer to shoot a 520 gr GG bullet 457125. Had Ron Long cut the barrel to a .456 bore to allow the bullet of the thumb started in the muzzle. It shot pretty good to 1200 yards or so but the nipple erosion was extreme. I would never dream of hunting with the thing even with a lighter bullet. It was purpose built for a certain match a friend and I used to attend 25-30 years ago. But given its time frame constraints the rifle was "correct" since the cutoff for firearms technology was 1885.
I am sure some here think I do not understand and have not used cast bullets on critters or anything else. This would be a mistake.
Like I said the slugs are not traditional anymore than T7 or Pyrodex.
Powders similar to Pyrodex are very old. But nobody used them probably for the same reasons they tend to fail today.
But people like to do what they want to do.
My comments, for the most part were meant to show the injustice that the "modern ml" has inflicted on the traditional hunter.

Water jugs at 150? I can and have shot into 6" at 200 with a decent rest and one of my flintlock rifles. I have another that is even more accurate that I am sure will do as well or better with cooperative winds.
As I have repeatedly stated what people shoot for rifles, powders or bullets is of little import to me. But people need to be informed.
History in out context can be very informative.
Like Parkman shooting an Antelope at 204 (?) paces and his guide killing 2 buffalo with two shots at 175 yards in the 1840s. Sure they buff ran off. But they loaded the rifles mounted up and found them less then 1/2 mile away. Given what I have been told by people today and read of the past with similar shots a 300 mag will do little better. Most buffalo hunters using the big Sharps/Remington cartridges thought that 2-3 shots per buffalo was a good average. Some they might only shoot once other several times. Depending on the situation.
Another thing that people do not adequately consider when shooting bullets is that the increased recoil coupled with relatively long barrel times can make consistent holding very critical. I have a Sharps I shoot 100 gr of 1.5f Swiss and a 530 PP from. This rifle is very accurate and will shoot into probably 20" at 900+ yards with iron sights. However, with the heavy slug at 1375 fps it will though serious fliers if the shooter is not very careful with how the rifle is held and shoulders. The first clue is a different feel to the recoil. If it feels "bad" it may be off several feet at 500 yards. This rifle weighs 15+ pounds BTW.

I have shot deer and assorted other animals with BPCR bullets from 180 to 500+ grains, various round ball calibers and some modern stuff. Used to kill 1-3 a year with a 6.5x55 when the season was running down and I was shooting WT does in hay fields. So I tend the yawn a little when people talk about how devastating the things are. They are not. I once launched a Prairie Dog, the parts, 15 feet in the air with a 300-320 gr soft PP bullet from a 450 BPE. But it just made holes in deer and kill them. There was no devastation like one would get shooting a deer with a 140 gr from a 7mm mag or "made a hole I could put my thermos in" as a customer once told me of shooting a deer with an over driven 400 gr Speer from a Shiloh. They should be limited to about 1600 at the muzzle.
You shoot a critter with a decent bullet for the job, spherical or elongated, put it in the right place the critter will die in a reasonable time frame. Miff the shot on an elk like putting one of your hotrod 45 bullets a little too far back and you can chase them for a mile if they get started downhill.
I posted above to inform. The "conical" is not the panacea that many like to think it is. It has serious shortcomings and even some dangers. So things need to be said.
People who want to hunt with a "traditional ML" then shoot a non-traditional bullet need a reality check now and then.
There is no magic bullet.

Dan

Well if they had a thing back in the day, but only a few people used it....How does that not make it HC/PC?

How many people have to use a thing and for how long before it can considered apropriate to the time period?

I say if it can be shown that even one person did something in a certain way a number of years ago, it should be kosher to that time period. Does not matter that EVERYONE else in the world never heard of it and wouldn't recognise it and did things completely differant. Once an idea is born and can be proven when it was first used, then it should be considered correct to the time period.

If even one person used an imitation powder way back when, it is correct to the period from that day it was first used and on. If even only one person ussed a cloth patched Picket in the first year it was thought of, then from that day the first person used it and on it is correct to the time.

So, how many people have to have used a thing before it is kosher to the time perod? 1? 100? 10000?

cynthialee, I agree with you 100% but you about to get into a big fight with the PC/HC boys. I knew this thread would not be good. I am bowing out now. But before I go I would like to say one more thing. The Paper patched bullets were around during the middle 1800's. In my opinion there were a few country boys with whitworth's. The idea that not one of them never made meat is not conceivable to me. You got to remember that a lot of the men at that time in the south were limited in their education. Just because no one wrote about doing it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

PRB vs Conical is a fight that will never stop. For me I am done with this one. Ron

Back