• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball VS Conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cynthialee said:
Well if they had a thing back in the day, but only a few people used it....How does that not make it HC/PC?

How many people have to use a thing and for how long before it can considered apropriate to the time period?

I say if it can be shown that even one person did something in a certain way a number of years ago, it should be kosher to that time period. Does not matter that EVERYONE else in the world never heard of it and wouldn't recognise it and did things completely differant. Once an idea is born and can be proven when it was first used, then it should be considered correct to the time period.

If even one person used an imitation powder way back when, it is correct to the period from that day it was first used and on. If even only one person ussed a cloth patched Picket in the first year it was thought of, then from that day the first person used it and on it is correct to the time.

So, how many people have to have used a thing before it is kosher to the time perod? 1? 100? 10000?

There is a difference between something being developed and being actually used.
The electric car dates to the 1830s-40s. The patent for an electrified rail for electric railroads dates to 1840 in England. But I doubt a Chevy Volt is acceptable at a rendezvous to run ice to the campers...
If you read my posts you will understand this.
The Picket requires a starter. It was pretty popular with LR target shooters until faster twists and PP bullets were developed but the best of these used a 2-3 strip patch that required a false muzzle equipped with a guide starter ( or piston starter they are also called) AND a piece of carefully fitted steel that holds the strips of paper in place. Not something for hunting. The fact that the rifles were very heavy is a factor too. The False Muzzle was actually developed for the picket because its so hard to load. This difficulty makes it a major PITA as a hunting bullet, no matter what Ned Roberts wrote. If you damage or loose any of the accessories then the gun is a round ball gun until the necessary parts are replaced. So Picket rifles generally used BOTH the RB and the Picket so the owner could hunt with it too. The picket hung on with with the 200 yard offhand shooters in "Schuetzen" after it died out with a longrange shooters.

"Naked bullets" were not used because its difficult to keep it on the powder since it has no bore friction to speak of. Load a 54 maxi in a rifle and the drop it muzzle down on a pine board just one inch of drop should move the slug off the powder. At the very least this will cause a flier on the target. At worst barrel damage.
This is not as important today if the shooter does not ride a horse or carry the rifle muzzle down. But they will slide off the powder if the rifle is carried muzzle down a friend has told me. Don't believe me? Do some testing.
Does anyone not wonder why the Civil War Cavalry was not equipped with a Minie ball carbine? It was found to be unworkable. This is all written down, from the time, if people want to look for it. BTW the smoothbore carbines would also unload themselves in a few miles when used by the cavalry. At least according to the officer who wrote the letter quoted in "Firearms of the American West 1803-1865". Yes folks there was a reason the Hall then the Sharps, then the various breechloaders were favored for cavalry use. They tried to make that minie ball shooting Pistol Carbine work but it failed in field tests in the late 1850s.http://firearmprofessionals.com/2011/12/springfield-1855-pistol-carbine/
They did make more of these than the experimental Carbine.
What about inlines?
There were inline flintlocks made for Royalty and as "Master Piece" guns in Europe in the 18th century. So if you put a wood stock and a patchbox on a Knight inline does this make it traditional? Breechloading flintlock rifles were EXTREMELY common, almost the norm in England circa the 1730s. Virtually identical rifles were used in very limited numbers in the American Revolution. But find one in 1812 or 1830. They did not work all that well and the disadvantages outweighed the advantages so the design died out.

The disadvantages of the conical outweighed its advantages for all but target shooters. The Flintlock and percussion rifle was still in use in America into the 1920s-30s in some areas for matches and hunting. The ML rifle never went out of use in America. With the Round Ball. Why? Given the sights and the velocities obtainable the round ball was all that was needed. Further it would kill game on 1/2 or less the lead and maybe 2/3s the powder. The Picket shoots best with powder charges that would give many here the "vapors" the rifle I pu together to test oickets in and play with now and then seems to like 80 gr of FF. Its a 40 btw. 80 is significantly more accurate than 70.
So, assuming you attend ML matches, would your match director allow an inline flintlock in matches? Or would it be considered to be too far outside the norm? Not typical of the era.
Should a 1720 breech loader design be allowed in ML matches? People had them in England and they were used here contemporary with the MLs. But are they typical? No.
A traditional ML is something one would expect to see at the time frame MLs were in their heyday in America. The ammunition should meet the same criteria. Was it in use? Was it practical? BTW we have a Picket rifle match at Cody once a year. This year is was won by round ball rifles. Both made by me. The winner beat me out by just over 1/16" on a 20 shot string measure match. The closest picket was a couple of inches behind me. This was 100 yards benchrest and I was shooting a flintlock with barrel sights against peeps and I think a scope of two. What does this indicate? Perhaps a reason the RB was more "typical"?
I try to post stuff that is well thought out and based on fact or historical documentation. I have valid reasons for the things I post. I did not just wake up a few days ago with some dreamed up opinion on ML projectiles.
I have considerable experience and I know others who are long time ML shooters and builders.
You want to look at picket rifles and rifles that later shot "naked bullets" look at "The American Percussion Schuetzen Rifle".

Here is a set of photos, the starter, the bullet swage and the bullets I have shot in the 40 cal I shoot pickets from. I only use the flat point/flatbase design the other does not shoot well. There is a nearly identical bullet to the FP design in the book on Schuetzens. The muzzle has to be turned round to accept the starter with minimum clearance.

GuideStarter.jpg

Without the starter the picket bullets will not stay on a paper plate at 40 yards. Even with a loading rod fit to the bore to center it.
These things are REALLY finicky.
Picketswage.jpg

PicketbulletsLR.jpg

I have thought about shooting a deer with the Picket bullet just to do it. But would have to use the RB for any followup shots got too much work in the starter to pack it out in the field.
And its less accurate then my RB rifles.

So while there were rifles using elongated projectiles in pre-Civil War America the Minie was, as near as I can see, used only by the military, the picket rifle could have been used for almost anything but it is very finicky about how its loaded and uses more powder and lead to do the same thing for the hunter a RB would do. If I showed up at a ML match with a guide starter and a box of picket bullets they probably would not let me shoot in the match even though its far more traditional than the modern naked bullets.
I never used bullets in MLs except as noted. I was shooting a traditional ML before the Maxi and the others hit the market. Being something of a traditionalist I saw no use for them.

Its also amusing to me that NOW with the advent of the inlines and such the T/C Hawken and its various progeny is considered a "traditional" ML. They were considered to be less than that when they were introduced. So the definition of "traditional" changes with time.
One more thing.
The inline dating to the 18th century is one reason the ML seasons need to have their rules rewritten for firearms and projectiles.
I would have no objection to a hunter using a cloth patched picket bullet. I do not consider it "typical" for the reasons stated but its OK if people want to go to that much trouble, noting that the starter costs more than many here would pay for a rifle. Just buying the brass or bronze is going to run 100-150 bucks. I guess if someone wanted to hunt with a Springfield Rifle Musket or a Pattern 1853 Enfield with a Minie this would be OK too. But these and a very few other military rifles were the only place the minie was used in the 19th century that I know of.
But this bullet has so many disadvantages, the traditional design, for the hunter I can't see anyone using it.
But it would be better for the regulation to stipulate the rifle be typical of the era and use a cloth patched round ball.
Then the traditional ML hunters could get their seasons back from the inlines.
Dan

Oh yes and I forgot to mention that Issac Newton experimented with telescopic sights on rifles.
So this means competitors can use a 3-9 variable on inline rifle in primitive matches right? The stuff was all "invented" well before 1800 right?

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Oh yes and I forgot to mention that Issac Newton experimented with telescopic sights on rifles.
So this means competitors can use a 3-9 variable on inline rifle in primitive matches right? The stuff was all "invented" well before 1800 right?

Dan
Why not? So long as the scope is no more powerful than what theoreticaly could be had.

Seems to me that the people in charge of whats legal for a match are just to anal about things that make no sense to be anal about.
If it existed back in the day then it existed back in the day. No amount of justifying this or that can take away from the reality that it was available, if it was available.
Sure maybe it would only be a rich ecentric who could or would afford this or that, but he could have have and thats all that should matter.

(personaly I think it is because some dudes get butt hurt when some one they do not like wins over them with equipment they do not like or could not afford themselves)

Conicals in general are capable of carrying their energy further down range against air resistance than round balls of the same caliber. In some cases, much much further.

Ft pounds of energy, isn't everything in hunting, but it it a fair indicator of the energy at particular ranges. No matter what powder charge is used, a round ball tends to lose a major portion of it's energy by the time it gets to 100 yds. According to the Lyman Black Powder Handbook. A 50 caliber round ball loses approximately 50% of it's muzzle energy by the time it gets to 100 yards. A 54 caliber round ball loses approx. 45% of it's energy at 100 yds and a 58 caliber round ball loses approx 40% of it's energy. A 75 cal. Brown Bess round ball loses only about 25% of it's muzzle energy. (See a pattern here) The energy loss percentage seems to climb even higher when the round ball is launched faster than the speed of sound. (Increased air drag?) For that reason a round ball is pretty much worthless past 150yds. The conical depending on nose shape, weight and length can carry it's speed and energy against air resistance multiple times farther than a round ball. Again there is a slight difference between sub sonic and sonic velocities.

Before choosing a concial, (1) it has to be compatible with your bore (rifling) If it isn't, you can get blow by and accuracy and potential velocity are lost. (2) a short conical tends to destabilize at ranges just past round ball ranges, so it is only a slight advantage in distance. A long heavy bullet will tend to maintain better stability, depending on twist and grip of rifling, but increases bore pressure and recoil substantially. For true long range muzzleloading shooting, a special bore for conical bullets is required. A Rigby style rifle with specially started paper patched bullets. (The Irish used such muzzleloaders at the famous Creedmore match against the Americans in shooting out to 1,000 yards.) (3) even if you could extend your range, are your eyes and sights that capable of fine sighting.

Shooting a conical out of a round ball bore is a sort of comprimise at best. It may extend killing range by a few dozen yards. It won't magically turn a round ball gun into a 200 yd deer decimator.

BrownBear said:
As seen in the photos from Idaho Ron, terrain can add a huge "dictate" to the gear you choose, all within the bounds of history defined here. For longer ranges common to the West, conicals were adopted quickly to take the edge off the Starving Times experienced by round ball shooters who brought their Eastern guns and bullets with them. It's just a fact of the wide open spaces that you're going to go hungry a lot more often with the limited range of a round ball, as amply demonstrated by Lewis and Clark.

Inside 100 yards as I prefer I'm round ball all the way, and fortunately I live in a place where I can usually make that happen. If shots were almost always beyond 100 yards due to terrain, I'd be conical all the way. Documentation describes admiringly that conical bullets were used from a Hawken by at least one shooter in Taos in 1842. And Hawkens were standard with the 1:48" twists needed to stabilize them.

Goodenuff to settle the question once and for all for this Westerner. The rules started changing when folks moved west, and holding to Eastern standards today won't change the history of the West.

This single mention of the elongated bullet is one of the reasons I bought a 48 twist barrel and made a swage for a picket bullet.
But people also need to consider the phrase "The exception proves the rule" since this is the only mention that I have ever seen.

I do not recall "admiringly" as part of the description but would have to read it again. Its in "Wah to Yah and the Taos Trail" by Garrard IIRC, but I lack the time to read the book to find it,if someone has a citation or a page number it would be a help. It was said it shot a bullet an inch long. About right for 50-54 caliber picket.
I have yet to see a Hawken turned round at the muzzle for a piston starter or fitted for a false muzzle. Even the three pistol grip tang sight target rifles have no provision the picket.
I would also point out that the 48 twist is a RB twist many original picket rifles in the smaller calibers especially are gain twist with an ending twist in the "30s".
The advocates of the modern slug need to step back and look at the question with 19th century eyes or at least in the context of the time.
Lead was expensive, powder was expensive and in the west it was more so.
The picket was not used much off the target ranges for several reasons, its harder to make, it uses more lead and its advantage to the hunter are marginal at best and are offset by the much higher cost of the rifle and the needed accessories.
The naked bullet was useless for general use other than for the military. The PP as well.
So if you REALLY think that they shot picket bullets without a starter, that they used naked or PP bullets in MLs for hunting then do some testing.
Load a buffalo bullet or a Maxi whatever in a rifle then sling the rifle on a saddle horn and ride the horse for an hour or 2-3 days or a week and see if the gun is still loaded.
"Wait mister Cheyenne (Sioux or Blackfoot) my rifle unloaded itself and I need to reload it".
Its a matter of practicality in the context of the time.

Then make yourself a swage or pay someone to make it that will make a picket bullet and shoot it for accuracy with no guide starter, since the western plains rifle is never turned for a starter they apparently did not use them. Shoot some 10 shot strings at 100 yards and see how it works for you.
Find me a Henry Scroll Guard or Hawken or a Dimmick with rifling for a Minie or other "naked" bullet. The RIFLING FORM IS WRONG.
Here is an UNFIRED 1840 Connestoga Rifle Works (Leman) flintlock does ANYONE here think this will work with a minie ball or "buffalo bullet"?
Muzzle.jpg

Lock1.jpg

Here is the muzzle of a silver mounted Hawken Plains rifle made in 1836. Has cloth patch rifling so it could shoot a picket, but darn, it has no provision for loading it.

P1030156.jpg

Here is one of the few guns in the Cody Museum with a guide starter. Its an eastern "Buggy Rifle" with a detachable stock and a guide starter for a picket. But these were apparently not common in the west though Chapman "The Improved American Rifle" tells us they shoot well at long range.
P1030182.jpg

I was taking the photo to reference the tang sighted underhammers and did not take a detail shot of the Buggy Rifle.
The underhammer rifles in the case are apparently all RB rifles or rifle shotgun combinations.
So far as "open country"?
This is pretty open. I have killed 3 deer in the area encompassed by the photo with a flintlock. None were over 60 yards.
P1000851.jpg

Here is one
Swiveldeer.jpg

and another
P1010028.jpg

this one was shot from a spot very close to where the terrain photo was taken.
MasherDeer1LR.jpg

16borebloodtrail.jpg

This her blood trail note the available cover.

Dan

Qu/Bottom line is this. If the RB don't work its either poorly placed or too small for the game being shot.
Dan
/qu
Exactly!
So why is it you seem to have such a problem with me using conicals in my .45 to hunt deer,elk,moose and bears?
Conicals have been around since the introduction of caps approximately,so how are they not hc/pc?

Wutever,I could care less what you think really,I hunt for my own enjoyment and satisfaction.I have absolutely ZERO interest in scoped plastic monstrosities that were created to weasel into existing ML seasons.I use conicals in a .45 for the confidence that ill make clean kills on game that is MUCH BIGGER than Florida Keys deer,Texas WTs,and most of the other 20 sum subspecies of WT found below the 49th parallel.
I'm not looking for,nor do I need 30-06 performance and range.I use an iron-sighted Hawken and adhere to a self-imposed 125yd max range limit,although to date my longest ML kill has been just under 50 yds......and with that said,you can stuff your "holier than thou/lack of hunting skill/get closer to the game" theory.FYI,I've enjoyed a 100%+ success rate on WTs over 30 years,the vast majority of them coming from a province where the annual success rate runs between 15-20% on avg and taken over a dozen animals bowhunting including bear and moose.Further to that,I would guess that at least half of the 50 sum odd bigwoods eastern WTs that I've taken with rifles,shotguns,and ML have been within bow range,and all but 3 long pokes that I can recall were beyond my ethically self-imposed personal ML range limit.
And oh,BTW.....I hunt with a ML these days for the challenge amongst other reasons,and find it to be a lovely compromise between bowhunting and CF Rifles,and there is NO advantage or additional seasons for ML in my home province and only very limited additional opps here in my newly adopted Alberta.That said,I hunt alongside my repeating CF toting buds during general firearms seasons,choosing to handicap myself with a one shot frontstuffer,and somehow manage to put meat in the freezer every year without fail as well as guide a handful of friends and bowhunting clients on successful bear and deer hunts spring and fall......so don't you be worrying about my "getting close" skills.

If you're so into traditional why don't you make yourself a self bow find yourself a Rivercane shaft make an arrow out of it then knap yourself a broad head and shoot a deer from the ground within 15 yards now that traditional.

giotundo said:
If you're so into traditional why don't you make yourself a self bow find yourself a Rivercane shaft make an arrow out of it then knap yourself a broad head and shoot a deer from the ground within 15 yards now that traditional.

That's primative - not to be confused with traditional. Besides; the range of my bowhuntng equipment is no better than what you describe. I'd still need to be 25 yards or closer.

I have taken buck whitetail from the ground - on foot or sitting on a stump - as close as 11 yards. :thumbsup: [/quote]

Cedar or fir arrows, feather fetching, glue on broadheads and recurves are what was used when I was a kid and got interested in archery. I'm not doing it to be "traditional". I use it because I learned with it and like it.

Shoot what you like. It would just seem silly to me to put a rangefinding sight and fling carbon fiber arrows with dad-gum expanding broadheads off the 1966 recurve bow I currently hunt with. :idunno:

:eek:ff

I think if you read my posts I simply pointed out that the "naked" bullet is not a common traditional hunting projectile for ML arms, especially in America and pointed out some well known problems that they can create. Just because someone does not LIKE the information does not make it incorrect.
I consider this to be a public service to people who only read about conicals in the gun magazines or on sites like this where some folks seem to be enthralled with them.
A RB of equal weight will invariably work as well or better than a conical. This has been written about since they came into use. Yes, the British built rifles for conicals. But some of the people who HUNTED and built guns at the time pointed out that they did not work all that well and give examples.
Part of this was the design, bullet noses were designed for what they thought would give the longest range, very pointed. They figured if penetration was good it would kill animals which is true but they were not the "stoppers" that many wanted or needed for some game. Pointed designs, even modern jacketed bullets, and and sometimes will turn rather sharply in striking born or even muscle. I KNOW this. Recoil is also greatly increased in rifles like the TC Hawken. The increased recoil can result in poorer shooting or less practice with the rifle. Neither is good from a hunting standpoint. The increased recoil and longer barrel time can make the rifle more sensitive to holding variations. The rifle will tend to torque more with the conical for example. This is not as pronounced in RB rifles as it is in ML shooting bullets that are heavy for their diameter. It also appears in BPCR, my 15 pound 45-100-530 likes to throw fliers if held wrong and at 500 yards they can be measured in FEET.
I have stated that I have shot quite a few critters with BPCRs using bullets much like those used by "modern muzzleloaders". I know how they work. I know what does not work. I have had experience on both sides so to speak. Bullet design is important. The original Maxi has some issues when used on game I have been told and have read, I have this from widely separated sources. I believe this was why the Maxi-Hunter was marketed.
I have no reason to shoot conicals for a ML. I have a selection of rifles using RBs in sizes that cover the game I might want to shoot to at least G-bear. But I would not hold someone at gun point to make them use a RB if they don't want to. :doh:
People need to have information to make informed choices.
If I state that conicals cause increased nipple erosion, something that is not even arguable, someone will get his back up as if its some sort of personal attack.
If I say they can slide off the powder, something that has been known since the advent of the "naked" ML bullet another poster takes offense. Its a statement of fact based on my experience, that of others and writings of the past. I did not invent this.
So do we NEED to shoot conicals? Not in my opinion. But I don't need to shoot a ML at all its a CHOICE.
If I told anyone NOT to I do not recall it.
People are free to do anything they want.
Having valid information is just an aid in the decision making process.
There is a considerable amount of misleading and false information concerning the RB as a hunting projectile. This is another reason to point out that the RB actually does work so long as its properly sized for the game. Shooting deer with a 36 is not a good idea. RBs over .43 or work fine as has been repeatedly proven.
If the hunter is shooting Moose or Bison then a larger ball is needed. Personally for these I would prefer 58 or larger. However, a lot of these have been killed with the 54 RB both historically and by contemporary hunters.
I list sites where people can down load and read the writings of the past. I quote writing by respected writers and gun makers of the past. I don't make it up. The information can be found in the books cited.
People can disagree on something without personal offense or insult.
The printed word is a difficult medium. It lacks the facial expressions and body language that would be part of the conversation over tea and crumpets. So its easier to seem too abrupt or unyielding. Trying to post and get to some other chore or job may result in a post that may not be as polite as is intended. The comments and replies may be more cryptic than a verbal conversation might be.

There are new round ball rifles available for any class game on the planet bore sizes from 25 caliber to 2 to the pound.
The primary problem I seem to see here is quite a percentage of posters buy a used rifle for 200 bucks at a pawn shop, gun show or even less at a yard sale then try to figure out how to use what would have been considered a too small bore size back in the day for large game like elk (from the writings of the time). This is backwards. People need to find out what is needed to hunt the particular game then buy or have built a rifle to match the requirements.

Dan

well put Dan!

the round ball will kill anything on the planet if you use the proper size and powder load. there is no "need" to use conicals unless its just because you want to.

-Matt

Was it traditional to own a specific rifle for every different size species of animal. I mean how many of the old folk had a .36 for rabbit, .45 for white tail, .54 for elk and a .69 for buff. Probably more common to have a .45-.54 and load it according to the intended game.
Another way, yes a RB of the same weight as a conical is more effective due to increased frontal area but penetration is down for the same reason.

arby said:
Was it traditional to own a specific rifle for every different size species of animal. I mean how many of the old folk had a .36 for rabbit, .45 for white tail, .54 for elk and a .69 for buff. Probably more common to have a .45-.54 and load it according to the intended game.
Another way, yes a RB of the same weight as a conical is more effective due to increased frontal area but penetration is down for the same reason.

Think you'll find most had a good smoothbore that did everything for them back then....

The Winchester lever gun according to Hollyweird won the west. But if one really looks deeper, you just might find the double barrel shotgun gave the lever guns a run for their money...

“If you're so into traditional ...”

This seems to be the real sticking point here. :shocked2:
Just what is “traditional” and what is not. :hmm: Add to that fact, that folks are only as “traditional” as they want to be. But are unwilling to let others be as “traditional” as THEY want to be. :wink:

I believe common sense takes over here. If you were a young adventurous man in the early 19th century, wanting to move West and find your fortune trapping etc. You would naturally try to outfit yourself somewhat before your journey. I believe a rifle would be at the top of the list, it would be mine. You take Grandpa's old rifle he gave you and some other stuff you will need for your adventure. I will shorten my story here...You arrive at your destination and realize your .33 cal rifle among other "necessities" in your possession are less than adequate for your new life. What do you do with your Grandpa's rifle once you aquire a larger caliber? Toss it? I would keep it for smaller game,(less lead), as a backup, etc. Do I believe the Mt. Men carried more than one gun? You betcha! Your life depends on it...solely. The same reason I think its H/C for Eastern Longrifles to be at Rondezvous, especially the early fur trade era. I'm with Stumpkiller and Dan, among others. While the modern conical has it's merits no doubt, hunting with them in a "Traditional M/L is like putting socks on a rooster!

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Hot air balloons? Searched for Montgolfier brothers and muskets. Come up with an early 1800's revolt of the prostitutes in London. I tell yah fellas this interseine is pretty scary.

Back