• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rough out or Grain Out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m7bacon4

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Folks I'm currently in the process of making myself a pair of leather pants, and considering I'm poor and can't afford brain tan I am faced with the dilema of wether to put the suede side out or the grain side out. I am leaning towords rough out for the sake of at least appearing more authentic, but am wondering if there is any reason not to do this.

Thanks in advance

I'm in the same boat and did suede out for the same reason, seems like I've heard it actually sheds water better that way too.

Not gold thank god...kind of a nice medium brown color...definatly not HC either but at least not as obnoxius as gold

You can rough up the "hair side" à la Ben Hunt. He used hacksaw blades, but other people use wire brushes, sandpaper...

I found brushing the flesh side takes some of the chrome tan look away and makes it look a little more like braintan.

I would have to give my vote to the grain/smooth side out.

I make a lot of things "rough-out" and after a short time the leather will take on an almost polished glossy look.

The men of old would have had nasty "Black" bucksins in just a few weeks. After a generous application of Dirt,Blood,Fat,Food,Grease, and campfire ash.

I normally do the smooth side out. That way I can waterproof and wax as well as show off the grain. Makes cleaning easier.

Back