• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging brain tanned elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever notice how buckskins won’t let heat out on a warm day but won’t keep it in on a cold one? Mystery of life I guess.
Buck skin is magic hot when hot, cold when cold and turns to snot when wet.
Indians bought cloth as soon as they could get it. During the rendezvous period ledgers are full of trousers shirts and coats.
Russell’s quote about the dress of a mountian er and mentions his antelope shirt, a crude one of his own manufacture. And then only if he was unlucky and had nought a cloth shirt

My brain might be more age-ed than your'n. ;-)

Just tried mink oil on a piece of scrap, no change. Tried Neets Foot oil on another piece of scrap and it's not bad, leaving it in the sun to see how it does. Got some Ballistol on order but it's coming from the Netherlands so not sure when I'll get it. Don't have any Crisco but do have lard. Be nice if I could use something that doesn't smell like a food source to the bears. Smoke certainly qualifies, but no pine here, just spruce, cottonwood and birch.
Find a mud puddle get it dirty/ wet, hang to dry and then shake it out and clean it off, this will give it a used look without the wait.

Latest posts

Back