• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rookie's First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDumbAnimal

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I finally got ambitious and decided to try my hand at building. I’ve accumulated a 36” green mountain barrel (straight) in .45 cal, a large siler lock, and a doubleset trigger. I’m going to stock it in cherry and acquire the rest of the furniture as I go. I apologize in advance as this is going to be far from PC/HC and I know that I’m going to have a lot of questions. I have read “The Art of Building the American Longrifle” and have poured over Mike Brooks’ tutorial. I breached the barrel without any problem. The issue that I’m having is locating my double set trigger both front to back and vertically with regards to where it will engage the sear. How far below the sear should the trigger bars sit when they are set and should the sear be set centered in the V between the bars or forward/back. Hopefully pictures to follow as the build progresses. Thanks in advance for any help and I’ll try not to pester to much.

Semper Fi
BDA

Well good luck with your build, I'm also just getting started with my first true build. I've read over Mike Brook's tutorial also many of these folks have suggested getting The art of building the Pennsylvania longrifle, I ordered it from Track of the Wolf and feel it was a good buy.

I don't know where you plan on getting your other parts as you go but you might want to order them plenty ahead of time because some things tend to get back ordered. I had to wait 6 weeks for my stock to arrive and I've been waiting about two months for a trigger guard.

My gun will also be far from PC/HC but I don't plan on making a perfect masterpiece my first go around. Hopefully these guns we are making will be the first of many.

Cheers

"I’m going to stock it in cherry and acquire the rest of the furniture as I go"

I would stock it with a XXhard maple stock...then stain with cherry mixed walnut stain...the consistency of a great maple stock wood is way easier.
The 'trick' is using a small wood chisel, and sandpaper and takeing plenty of time :thumbsup:

best wishes

Thanks MeteorMan, that's exactly what I was looking for and wow, I'm way worse at this searching thing than I thought because that topic should have showed up under a couple of my searches. I'm working with a double set double lever, I'll play around with it but now that I know where to start things should be considerably easier. Thanks again.

Semper Fi
BDA

Back