• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roller lock ..need someone to enlighten me.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just received my first flintlock which I will be taking pictures and adding further discussion of in the future. However, to begin with I would like to find out more about the lock which appears to have the name "Roller" stamped on it. The first R is half gone but I don't believe it is "Holler". Used Search and noted a reference to a B. Roller on the forum but not much in-depth information.

Last edited:
Bob Roller is a gentleman who has built quality locks, trigger mechanisms and other ML related things since the 1970's. He is not as active as he was in the past , however, he still frequents the American Long Rifle Forum where he is very responsive. If you post photos of your locks on the Gun Building forum (Gun Building) over there, he will probably tell you when, where, why, how, and for whom he made the locks. He'll probably also provide an anecdote or two.

Mike

Bob Roller is a gentleman who has built quality locks, trigger mechanisms and other ML related things since the 1970's. He is not as active as he was in the past , however, he still frequents the American Long Rifle Forum where he is very responsive. If you post photos of your locks on the Gun Building forum (Gun Building) over there, he will probably tell you when, where, why, how, and for whom he made the locks. He'll probably also provide an anecdote or two.

Mike
He also posts on the American Longrifle Forum. He’s held in very high regard by lots of folks!

Bob Roller hasn't made locks for a while. He took L&R flintlock outside parts and made the internal parts himself. The parts he made were very well made. He is still active commenting on the forums.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. I took it off the rifle today to clean and oil. It looks very well made and it sparks great. Now need to find some 4f powder. Will try Bob Roller on the offer forums. So far, this is the only one I have been on. Have A Great Holiday! W.Z

MR. Roller's locks are like a finely tuned Swiss watch, I have one on a rifle made in the early 70s, the friend I got the rifle from said the gun had 50K shots or more during its lifetime. The rifle is a .44, my friend sad he burned a pound of powder a week shooting a 30 grain B/P load, that is a lot of shots over the years.

The gun had been shot so many times that the frizzen was worn almost all the way thorough. When MR. Roller started posting on the ALR site, I asked him if he still had any frizzens for this lock, he did. He said he would like to see the lock and take measurements to compare them with his new out of the box specs. He replaced the worn frizzen, checked my lock and found that the internal measurements hadn't changed over the years.

MR. Roller quit selling locs in the US a number of years ago, he said he got a lot of flack about the price of his hand-built lock from the US flintlock crowd. He said European buyers didn't bat an eye at his slightly more costly locks and gave him as much business as he could handle.

Here is my Roller lock, yours may look similar, mine is stamped "Roller 72" on the inside of the lock plate.

roller lock.jpg

Can't say enough about Bob Roller. He recently repaired a lock for me that he had originally built in the 1980's. All he asked for was $10 to cover return postage. It came back good as new.

Customer service like that is getting pretty rare.

Ipsilanti based, lame,? I think & I visited him briefly once , Ime sure the locks are fine just limited application on style . I don't doubt the quality if I never used one or sold any .
Rudyard .

MR. Roller's locks are like a finely tuned Swiss watch, I have one on a rifle made in the early 70s, the friend I got the rifle from said the gun had 50K shots or more during its lifetime. The rifle is a .44, my friend sad he burned a pound of powder a week shooting a 30 grain B/P load, that is a lot of shots over the years.

The gun had been shot so many times that the frizzen was worn almost all the way thorough. When MR. Roller started posting on the ALR site, I asked him if he still had any frizzens for this lock, he did. He said he would like to see the lock and take measurements to compare them with his new out of the box specs. He replaced the worn frizzen, checked my lock and found that the internal measurements hadn't changed over the years.

MR. Roller quit selling locs in the US a number of years ago, he said he got a lot of flack about the price of his hand-built lock from the US flintlock crowd. He said European buyers didn't bat an eye at his slightly more costly locks and gave him as much business as he could handle.

Here is my Roller lock, yours may look similar, mine is stamped "Roller 72" on the inside of the lock plate.

View attachment 278915
I sold a rifle awhile ago with a Roller lock that had the same stock coloration as yours.

View attachment 278915

Thanks Eric, that's quite a story!

One of my biggest regrets is that I passed on buying a muzzleloading rifle from Bill Decker. He used Bob Roller's locks. He thought they were pretty good once they were tuned up. Of course, that was nearly 40years ago. The drawbacks of having children and no money.

i just sold this gun. it is a TVM 54 with a roller lock that was built for the European market. Bob told me he had no idea how it ended up on that gun. the 3 shot group was shot by me 50yds off hand, amazing what a fast lock can do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
View attachment 279045
White Ash stock?

Bob Roller is an encyclopedia of info, especially with regard to those who have already gone to the happy hunting grounds.

Back