• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

information on Lock Manufacturers ????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a similar book or reference guide to lock manufacturers such as the "American Gunsmiths;" which would provide information on Flint and percussion lock manufacturers. I have seen names given here for people that provide locks for different rifles being built. I would like to research lock builders when the only thing I have to go by is the name stamped into the locks. If an older gunsmith their name might appear in the "Gunsmith" book but if they only built locks more research is needed. Especially if they are a 21-century manufacturer. Regards, ZEE

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll just have to wait until I come across a given lock "name" & ask here about who built it. There is a lot of knowledge floating around here. WZ

That's a good question. I've not seen a book dedicated to lock makers and origins but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and hopefully it does. Most 18th century colonial gunsmiths imported locks from other countries by the barrel, Germanic, English and French makers.

You probably know this but for contemporary Lock makers you can download a copy of Track of the Wolf's catalog. It's very good reference with full color pictures and some details on where the original locks were produced and when.

Doubt there will ever be a book just lock makers. Just a few I can think of offhand from the time I started back in the 70's. Robbins, Hadaway, Hamm, Brooks, Alan, Siler and there are more. Some of the locks that they made are still being offered today by other builders some died with the original builder. The experts today will tell you that the geometry of the locks these guys made is all off. Well I never cared for geometry when I took it in high school. All I was interested in was a lock that did what it was supposed to do.

That's a good question. I've not seen a book dedicated to lock makers and origins but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and hopefully it does. Most 18th century colonial gunsmiths imported locks from other countries by the barrel, Germanic, English and French makers.

You probably know this but for contemporary Lock makers you can download a copy of Track of the Wolf's catalog. It's very good reference with full color pictures and some details on where the original locks were produced and when.
I didn't know...so I'll now check it out at TOW. Thanks

Hatchet-Jack,
Thanks for the TOW suggestion. While I've owned a B/P revolver since my teen years I've only within the last 9 months or so started down the rabbit hole with a renewed interest in shooting B/P. I am well into my seventies so it's taken a while; but Iam making up for lost time...LOL Now up to a half dozen Rifles from .36 Cal to .50 cal. I have used several suppliers for the basics including TOW but didn't realize how vast the supplies from TOW where until I checked out their catalog from your suggestion. So, Thanks again. WZ (Also, need to find a decent avatar and nick name ....they just listed my business info when I joined.)

Last edited:
Doubt there will ever be a book just lock makers. Just a few I can think of offhand from the time I started back in the 70's. Robbins, Hadaway, Hamm, Brooks, Alan, Siler and there are more. Some of the locks that they made are still being offered today by other builders some died with the original builder. The experts today will tell you that the geometry of the locks these guys made is all off. Well I never cared for geometry when I took it in high school. All I was interested in was a lock that did what it was supposed to do.
Thank you for your reply. I have seen several of these names mentioned here. WZ

Hatchet-Jack,
Thanks for the TOW suggestion. While I've owned a B/P revolver since my teen years I've only within the last 9 months or so started down the rabbit hole with a renewed interest in shooting B/P. I am well into my seventies so it's taken a while; but Iam making up for lost time...LOL Now up to a half dozen Rifles from .36 Cal to .50 cal. I have used several suppliers for the basics including TOW but didn't realize how vast the supplies from TOW where until I checked out their catalog from your suggestion. So, Thanks again. WZ (Also, need to find a decent avatar and nick name ....they just listed my business info when I joined.)
You are very welcome and I'm always happy to help other folks out. It's never too late to rekindle an old interest. Glad you are with us!

The names of the guns maker will often appear on locks , The rest seem to go on styles and the maker or assembler like Herman Stone of' Locks & Stuff 'used to offer they went on the inside unseen .ditto Mack Vance might have just MV . All original locks are any ones guess who actually made them. but the old adage "Nobody made nowt,& them what did made it in Birmingham" hold true in many cases not just Brum but all the ' Black country' region .According to quality required Josh Brazier & Stantons being notable for top end work Ketland made all sorts and all Ive seen where excellent but like any market you got what you paid for .And a lot got put out on piece workers . I doubt much' BEST' crossed the Atlantic its all down to market demands .Or was . I used to import US made locks too England there wasn't the manufacturers like Siler & L&R in my times but I had some good locks made for me in India . Sure the springs need balancing & other tidy ups but I used & sold a lot in a market not then available nor for other than flint shotguns was there much demand .( Bader /Shaw?)12 bore barrels I used mostly before I went to NZ made Hawkins barrels .All brass mounts being locally cast for me .Later spiced up with Side plates & Escutions from Reeves Goering ..I've strayed from locks but they are all related .
Rudyard

Is there a similar book or reference guide to lock manufacturers such as the "American Gunsmiths;" which would provide information on Flint and percussion lock manufacturers. I have seen names given here for people that provide locks for different rifles being built. I would like to research lock builders when the only thing I have to go by is the name stamped into the locks. If an older gunsmith their name might appear in the "Gunsmith" book but if they only built locks more research is needed. Especially if they are a 21-century manufacturer. Regards, ZEE

Maybe not what you’re seeking but ‘British Gunlock Makers‘ by Tony Gibbs-Murray was published in 2020 in an edition of 150 copies - and sadly now sold out. It‘s the result of many years of research during the author’s retirement. Five chapters introduce the subject, then approaching 200 pages provide a comprehensive directory of those involved in the trade, including Filers, Forgers, Makers, Suppliers, and the period that they were working. A further eight Appendices provide supplementary information. This sits nicely alongside Nigel Brown’s three volume directory of ‘British Gunmakers’.

David

IMG_2972.jpeg

That looks a useful reference .Bailey & Nie's 18th & ninetieth c 'English Gunmakers 'gives usefull bits about lock makers .
Regards Rudyard

Not that Im aware of. Most of those who did produce locks in the 21st century are gone or retired. Theres a few still doing it. ALR would be a good forum to research those.
Dear Poker Found you ! Did you get that info on the Dahomey musket arm of the' Amazon 'female warriers involveing Sir Richard Burton who visited the Kingdom of Dahomey circa 1860s giveing his opinion of there value .Presumably you now have good pics .of your musket Mine had a round brass wrist escution, it being much rusted I loaded 1 dram of powder to the same of sawdust & held it like the African's do or did probably got SKSes now ! .I contacted 'Old Coaster' in the UK who worked through West Africa in the 60s Pic would be nice .
Regards Rudyard

Back