• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifleman Dodd

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norskie

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Started reading C S Forester's 'Rifleman Dodd' about a rifleman from the 95th who gets stranded behind enemy lines during Wellington's peninsular campaign. Pretty good read, but I notice that Forester never says 'Baker Rifle' but calls the arm a 'long rifle' (a Baker is a relatively short gun). He also refers to its ammunition as 'a half inch sphere of lead' (Bakers fired a 62 cal ball.)
Odd how our knowledge has grown since Forester wrote the novel last century. Perhaps he didn't have our resources.:)

Technically speaking it is not a "Baker Rifle" but rather a "Pattern 1800, 1805, or 1810 Infantry Rifle" It was sized as a "Carbine Bore" defined as 20 balls per pound. The Term Baker Rifle was coined by us moderns because it was designed by Ezekiel Baker.

So, Dodd the shirker turned deserter is glorified by Forester as a man trapped behind lines? Is he caught and lashed by Black Bob for his transgressions?

OK, kidding. I've never read it myself. :v

Larry, a great read...I read it more than 20 years ago...I suspect that Bernard Cornwell's "Sharp" series was inspired by Dodd's adventure...Hank

Cpl Parker, I'm sorry, I must be a bit thick...I didn't understand your question..Hank

Bernard Cornwell patterned his Sharps series after the Horatio Hornblower series. Now, if I were to write one, it'd be called Sharps' Defeat. Sharps goes to Nawlins in 1815 and meets Old Hickory an' he gits a whippun! Then he deserts the army on the first ship back to England and arrives in time to redeem himself at Waterloo. I'd better watch it before my head winds up on a pike.

Title is 'Rifleman Dodd'. I finished it last night. Forester seems to be as racist toward the non-British as any British author I've read. Kinda funny sounding these days.

Remember that he wrote during the war when the British Commonwealth was still a force to be reckoned with. Furthermore, he had to instill the people with pride as they were having their arses kicked by Jerry.

No he wasn't because he kept his rifle and his "duce gear" belt, sword, bullet bag, cartridge box, and powder horn through the entire adventure and returned to the regiment as it marched out from winter quarters at the start of the next summer campaign after the French fell back, reporting in rifle fashion. He was therefore returned to duty and refit for the campaign.

It's an interesting read but if you want to read about the war for real, there are several good journals and books by those who where there.

Cornwell, to his credit, gives full due to Jac Weller's "Wellington at Waterloo" in my opinion the best, and most readable, account. Hank

Back