• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Wall Rack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I honestly don't have a clue as to what forum to post this in, so I'll take a stab and do it here:

Does anyone know where I could find a quality wall rack to hang a single muzzleloader or possibly 2 or 3 muzzleloaders?

Your help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

And moderators, please steer this post to where it should be if it is presently "lost". Thank You

The top rack is a simple cheap one - I have several including the one I built in high school over 56 years ago - that I can't recall where it came from. It holds the guns with the muzzles tilted downward and felt linings that prevent scratching. The bottom are two screw-in holders that are plastic covered.

Here, the deer is doing the job.

004_zpsgbrtxfdz.jpg

I too use the Cash hangers, antiqued. The wood on the wall is from the 1700's.

hanshi said:
The top rack is a simple cheap one - I have several including the one I built in high school over 56 years ago - that I can't recall where it came from. It holds the guns with the muzzles tilted downward and felt linings that prevent scratching. The bottom are two screw-in holders that are plastic covered.

Here, the deer is doing the job.

When pop passed in 2011 I found, at a garage sale the sisters were holding, a gun rack I built in High School shop. Had a 50 cent price. I was happy to hand them there price tag back and reunite with a gift I gave dear ol Dad in the 70's.

rdstrain49 said:

Very cheap to make and doesn't look too bad.

the Ted Cash hangers look nice but, I think I like this one best. simplicity personified. :hatsoff:

Mark, if it were me, I'd get a rack that will hold only one rifle at a time. That way, you can have one out for people to see but keep the rest stored in a gun safe. You see, the problem that I see is that folks like to display their guns because they are proud of them. But, that is just what thieves like. What you have out in the open is what they are going to take. Many folks have had their guns stolen when they were not locked in a safe. If you have only one gun on display at any one time, that is the only one that is in danger of being stolen. If you don't have a gun safe, put that at the top of your "Things To Get" list.

I find that wonderful, azmntman. Finding anything long lost is amazing. I know we'd like to think our wood work is worth more than $.50, Ahem! But I suppose we must be realistic and enjoy a surprising good deal. :hatsoff:

I myself find wall racks to be a "steel me" advertisement in this modern society. Just today I was at a store and the man in line behind me was telling a friend the reason he did not go deer hunting this last year was someone had broken into his house while he was at church and had stolen all of his guns. I myself, prefer the "out of sight out of mind " theory for my guns. I used to have my guns on wall racks but have given the wall rack over to holding my long bows. So far I haven't heard of anyone steeling long bows. Cross bows and compounds yes but not long bows. :hmm: :hmm:

You can buy 2 brass "gun hooks" which have fleur de lis finials or make them as I did. I put sticky backed felt on the inside surfaces so as to not mar the stock. One customer requested these.

2 other customers wanted me to make a rack that was completely hidden behind the LR, except for 2 very small padded pins. I made them out of pine boards which were then stained and finished and they were completely satisfied. I guess they wanted a view w/o interruption.

I keep my few MLers in my shop in full view so they can be appreciated while I'm working on the present build......Fred

I agree that open display of weapons is not a good idea. The wall rack that I pictured was located in my armory. Very secure area, no one and I mean no one was ever permitted in there. The reason for the four gun rack was to hold weapons that were awaiting cleaning. Four, because I rarely shot more than four weapons at any one outing.

The OP asked where to find a rack, not if public display was a good idea. My $.02 spent.

A good point but mine, while displayed, are in a room with no windows and out of sight. It was the best I could do where we currently live. :surrender:

After seeing a lot of examples here (and elsewhere) I must say I like the idea of a couple metal/steel "thingies" holding a single gun up, one at each end.

As an aside, I have TWO LARGE gun safes and they are crammed with guess what....smokeless firearms! The only BP guns that fit are all my revolvers and my Roy Stroh Jaeger. Oh yeah, there's also my TC "Hawken" from the year One tucked back there somewhere too. I just couldn't find suitable gun safes to accommodate my other 3 rifles/fowler with their lllloooonnnggg barrels. Of all the guns I own, they are the oddballs, so they admittedly were not primarily thought of when buying my safes.

The room I wold hang these 3 weapons in would be my library and they would be high and well out of general sight, in other words, if a thief was in my house he'd have a helluva time finding something to climb on to get to these old guns and what criminal nowadays does a driveby with a BP rifle anyway?

And if I was home at the time he'd be bleeding too much from the .45 govt. holes in his carcass to worry about climbing up to grab a muzzleloader anyway, so point closed.

Criminals will usually be in your house for less than 5-10 minutes and will steal anything they can sell for cash. It really sucks that we can't display our guns like we want to, but they are a fast grab item easy to turn into dope or whatever. Until we live in a perfect world, keep your guns locked up. You can always take them out to show your friends. It's tough to lose your prized weapons to a dirtbag.. Geo.

Most burglars are after money and other valuable items that can be "fenced" in a hurry. The "run of the mill" MLers wouldn't be their top priority and if a MLer were to be an expensive original, they wouldn't know it from a cheapy.

Modern guns would more likely be chosen by burglars because again, they can be turned into money more quickly or used by them in their crimes.

If the burglars are specifically after a gun collectors original MLers, that's a totally different story w/ many reasons for doing it.

We might for sentimental reasons place a high value on the average priced MLers that most of us have, but a burglar wouldn't......Fred

Does anyone know where I could find a quality wall rack to hang a single muzzleloader or possibly 2 or 3 muzzleloaders?

"quality" and "nice" are subjective terms. And, keep in mind, a big part of this ml avocation is learning to do things for yerself.
Hangers can easily be made from 1/2"X1/8" soft steel strips. A vise, hacksaw and hammer or vise grips and a drill are all that are needed. Finished price is cheap and accomplishing something by yourself gives satisfaction. My 'making' skills are barely up to moderate levels. So simple and crude work well for me.

Back