• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Wall Rack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once upon a time, I had several of my cap & ball pistols hanging up on the wall in the back room of my house.

C-and-B-guns.jpg

They hung there for several years and were a pleasure to look at.

Then, one night a Anal orifice broke into my back room and used one of the back packs I had hanging there to tote off almost every one of them.
Over 12 of them were stolen. :cursing:

That was about 2 years ago and although I gave the police all of the stolen guns serial numbers, I have never got one of them back. :(

I do have a safe for the more expensive firearms, but most of my black powder guns are on plain racks.
To deter slimy goblins from relieving me of my prized possessions, I put a steel door at the entrance to the stairs that lead to my man's cave.

The door frame is installed with 3 1/2 inch safety lag bolts into support members in the wall. The bolts require special tools. And there are a lot of those bolts.
The hinges are on the inside.
The locks are dead bolt units.

Yes, a professional slimeball could get in, but it would take time. They want in and out.
9zttob.jpg

Ron

Very nice looking job on the doorway. :thumbsup:

Having said that, and not trying to rain on anyone's ideas about security, let me point this out. Just take a sheetrock saw and cut a hole into most peoples secure rooms. Bypass the doors and gates. :shocked2: Just the point of view from a carpenter.
Dogs stop burglars. Walls not so much.

RonRC said:
I do have a safe for the more expensive firearms, but most of my black powder guns are on plain racks.
To deter slimy goblins from relieving me of my prized possessions, I put a steel door at the entrance to the stairs that lead to my man's cave.

The door frame is installed with 3 1/2 inch safety lag bolts into support members in the wall. The bolts require special tools. And there are a lot of those bolts.
The hinges are on the inside.
The locks are dead bolt units.

Yes, a professional slimeball could get in, but it would take time. They want in and out.
9zttob.jpg

Ron
As a Professional trained by our .GOV that would take under 1 minute to breach.

I keep mine in a good safe that will keep me and ones trained like me 15 minutes or so to do.

Nothing is un-open able but time delayed is what counts.

Yes and you can probably bash a hole through the wall with a kitchen chair. A chainsaw or a Chevy pickup will get you inside most any house without much time wasted too. My gun area is very secure but primarily to cover me for liability. I realize that you can not stop a determined individual nor can you use deadly force in VA to protect your property.

Have to wonder if said AO had no idea these were cap and ball guns. Might have though he had a revolver
Bonanza only to find out they are probably not worth much in the hot gun market.

One thing I would suggest for those hanging rifles for fairly long periods of time: turn them around every few weeks. I just bought a little Winchester .22 which has nice, even brown on the one side and UV sun bleaching on the other. Either it was on a sun facing wall or in a pickup truck rack for a very lengthy spell. My daughter proclaimed it "two-toned". :wink:

I would love to see a pictures of a false gun wall. Paneled like the rest of the room, touch latches etc. Push on the wall and it pops open. A Sherlock Holmes sort of secret wall.
Had to put in a safe in a mansion years ago. Hid it under the vanity in the bathroom. Covered by a raised panel door with no apparent hinges to tip off the crud out there. How do you open it you ask??? :confused:
On the wall next to the vanity was a plain old regular looking light switch, mixed in with all the other fan/light switches in a gang. But when you flip the right switch it turned off the 500lb + electro magnet so you could open the door! :haha:

The flesh side of me likes the idea of a spring detonated Claymore facing outward as the door opens how ever the spirit side of me, having the last word concerning such matters, would hate to stand before my creator and try to justify taking a persons life for the sake of a few earthly treasures.

When I started at the PD City Hall & the PD were located in Saunders home which he deeded to the city along with his extensive gun collection. Every room and wall had secret compartments where he stored most of his rare collection, along with a vault built in the basement where his shooting range was located. http://www.carrollconews.com/story/1388524.html

My experience with the gun safe was back in '80 when we were living in Florida and on vacation up here in Arkansas. The safe was a Tredlock Security Vault and weighed 600 lbs. I had 500 lbs of lead in the bottom and countless boxes of ammo.

When we returned home we found out burglars had removed the safe that contained 17 firearms, all of my wife's jewelry, gold & silver coins. They also cleaned the house of all the electronics and a very expensive Waterford Crystal collection.

Sometimes a gun safe only provides a false sense of security. My only hope was that the thieves would use a cutting torch to open the safe and hit the 10 pounds of black powder stored in the door shelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a guy that advertises on longrifle.com that forges neat little gunracks, is quite fair in his pricing, and makes one and two-gun racks. I have several of the singles.

Last edited by a moderator:
In AK I would say few home invasions are professional in nature as the risk is usually to high for the reward. A very high percentage of our population are armed citizens as we are an open carry state.
A good safe will almost always stop the amateur burgle which often are kids who don't seem to realize they stand a very good chance of being shot.

Ames said:

Having said that, and not trying to rain on anyone's ideas about security, let me point this out. Just take a sheetrock saw and cut a hole into most peoples secure rooms. Bypass the doors and gates. :shocked2: Just the point of view from a carpenter.

So True, I have three German Shepherds :grin:

Ames said:

Recently our local TV news reported on home burglaries and included the homeowners surveillance videos. Most of them showed the action only taking a few seconds. Several of the videos showed the burglars playing with the dogs. Sometimes its all about the individual dog.

I appreciate the fact that doors and gates, including mine, can be breached. The locks can be picked. Most burglaries around here are drug addicts looking for a quick in-and-out. Anything that causes a delay can deter some of these thieves.
What I didn't note is that there is an alarm on that door that sounds in the house and delivers a message to police when triggered. The alarm is also on the front and back house doors. When it went off accidentally last year, the police were at my house in about 5 minutes.
We have 2 Greyhounds (three until recently) with one who is VERY territorial. However, I don't count on them protecting the house. Like the door, dogs can deter the "casual" goblin. The door and dogs won't stop the determined, professional thief. This past week, a team of burglars broke into a house locally and shot the dogs.

Ron

Ames said:
I would love to see a pictures of a false gun wall. Paneled like the rest of the room, touch latches etc. Push on the wall and it pops open. A Sherlock Holmes sort of secret wall.
Had to put in a safe in a mansion years ago. Hid it under the vanity in the bathroom. Covered by a raised panel door with no apparent hinges to tip off the crud out there. How do you open it you ask??? :confused:
On the wall next to the vanity was a plain old regular looking light switch, mixed in with all the other fan/light switches in a gang. But when you flip the right switch it turned off the 500lb + electro magnet so you could open the door! :haha:

A relative who lives in another city has a really safe "safe room". The door is behind a mirrored wall in the bedroom. Unless you know it is there you would never guess. The door to the safe room is a steel, bank type that would take some time to open with proper tools. The room itself is concrete on all sides and separately ventilated from the main house. It is also underground and stands out from the main house exterior so as to not hint it is even there. He has a large collection of black rifles on the walls. But there is also a large high quality safe in the room for other guns. The safe-safe room doubles as a storm shelter and panic room. I'm sworn to not even reveal the city. Methinks highly unlikely he will ever have a theft problem. I never say never but this comes mighty close.

This past week, a team of burglars broke into a house locally and shot the dogs.

I would devote the remainder of my days to locating these thief's and having a "stern discussion" with them about their ways. Then I would introduce them to my best friend who is always telling me vengeance is His (I would of course make that intro so vengeance could be His undelayed :grin: ). Mess with me or my stuff :idunno: mess with the wife, kids or dogs and :cursing:

Certainly dogs can be shot, however I have nothing that a guy planning to shoot a dog (or even fire a round) would consider worth it (I hope, would seem to be a more "planned" robbery?), the druggies here are the problem and the dogs do real well deterring them. They look out the window barking as these types walk up the street.

Back