• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKhuntsman

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I was browsing the local shop today and had the opportunity to look at a 45 cal Brock and Chambers full stock 44" barely with a curly maple stock. Honestly I've never seen one and know absolutely nothing but it was well put together, tight fitting, and fully functional. They had it listed for $750 it sure is pretty but I hate to buy blind without any background. does anybody have anything they can tell me about it I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can find Brock and Norris out of the UK but they are flintlock usually. It's tagged as Brock and Chambers so does that mean Jim Chambers did a conversion to percussion. I'm thinking it might be a hell of a rifle but I still don't know.

If you can use a rifle I think you should buy it. Not a lot of risk there. Any thing well fitted with a good maple stock is worth more than that.

Look at Jim Chambers website and try to match style and/ore details to see if it might be from his parts. I think most guns built from Chambers kits are flintlock but he does sell percussion parts too. Chambers sells Rice barrels.

Last edited:
My speculation is that it is a rifle built by a contemporary builder named Brock using Chambers parts. If that is the case, then the parts are worth more than the $750. Any marking on the barrel?
It was engraved pretty shallow and sadly I didn't pay enough attention but I'm going to go back and look at it again today.

If you can use a rifle I think you should buy it. Not a lot of risk there. Any thing well fitted with a good maple stock is worth more than that.

Look at Jim Chambers website and try to match style and/ore details to see if it might be from his parts. I think most guns built from Chambers kits are flintlock but he does sell percussion parts too. Chambers sells Rice barrels.
Thank you I will look into it a little more

Went back to look at the rifle the barrel stamp says P. Brock Ackerman so it's a custom gun no other markings on the barrel. I think the shop or previous owner might not have known much it apparently came from and estate. The bore is clean no rust or pitting rifling looks good. There are no marks on any of the locks or guards to distinguish parts. The gun has been shot some and well cared for. It definitely does not look like a kit of any kind fit and finish is outstanding.

Unfortunately no I have not bought it yet. I am slowly talking myself into it I haven't seen anybody else look at it and she shop owner says he hasn't had any interested parties yet. I might have to sell one of my other less desirable rifles or pick up some extra work to justify it to my wife. I've run out of room to hide it lol and I'm not sure how I'd hide a 5' long rifle anyway.

Odds are higher everyday that I will just bite the bullet and pick it up. Not tomorrow though gotta work in the other direction but maybe on Wed. I still don't know much about it but everything points towards me desperately needing this rifle in my collection.

Time for a best price/low ball discussion. Ask what the best they can do. Hem and haw a bit, then offer less. Do not seem desperate. If rejected, walk away and see what response is. Worst case, no deal. Otherwise, need to find a way to I get by security detail at the house. Home field advantage, so on to our own to figure out.

What he said. Wheel and deal. I've never been to a gun shop in my life where the price on the tag was the price. They account for that in their pricing. Then there is always the possibility of layaway if he offers that. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Yeah no layaway on used black powder rifles at this one I already asked.
Lowball. They want $750. Show 5, maybe 6 Franklins at most if in love in front of them and let it play out. Tell them that’s all you have. Then walk towards the door. Again worst case no deal. Can address in another say. But you may be surprised what actual foldable cash will do.

Back