• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reworked old gun of mine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I built this gun well over 10 years ago, I'm sure. Probably close to 15. It's the only gun I have of my own! (at least that's actually together and functional!) Since I made it, I have reworked it twice already! This it the third and last time. It is not my finest work, but at least I took care of some of the more egregious errors and it's tolerably passable now for me. :wink:

It was too fat around the breech tang and below the lock panels, so I flattened that off, cleaned up the carving some (it still ain't great), reworked the nose of the comb a little and added carving there, filed the triggerguard a little, fixed a few spots here and there and restained and finished it. It now has one application of linseed oil, with many more to follow.

RW6_zpsc8b6b8a6.jpg

RW1_zpsef8bf02f.jpg

RW2_zpsf8e43f41.jpg

RW5_zps31f0af95.jpg

RW4_zps11d60c13.jpg

RW3_zps6eaab364.jpg

It's a .54 smoothbore gun, made when the "smooth rifle" was all the rage (still is, I guess) and I wanted to shoot patched round balls from it... :hmm: I need to see how it will do with shot, since that's what smoothbores are for!

A big, meaty gun, and somewhat heavy. Big sculpted cheekpiece and heavy mouldings. The downturned lock makes for some quirky wrist architecture, but it's a quirky gun. The lock is a somewhat modified Chambers lock, that at the time, was being assembled by "R&R Lock Co." And by the way, I greatly prefer the original tumbler and sear over the Siler set they use now!

Certainly nothing to be ashamed of...Looks great to me. I especially like to see you have the patch box cover lined up correctly...Toe just below center line and the butt end slightly above
center..
Wulf

I'd say your baby turned out very well! You are the only person who has to be happy with it!! :thumbsup: :wink:

A very sweet looking rifle Chris! Do you have any before pictures of what it looked like? I am glad that I am not the only one who has "gone over" an earlier build. I reworked a rifle that was one of my first builds from a blank from probably 12 or so years ago. It seems that we pick up period correctness over time and once in a while under all of the excess wood find something a lot better underneath! :wink:

I MAY have some "before" pictures that will show differences, I'll look when I get home later. I've often looked at pictures of old guns of mine and wished I could have them back just so I could rework them and thin them down!

Back