• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

revolver holsters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave said:
My concern is that you'll order the cheap one and get the one for the smaller-framed revolvers, and then have to send it back.

I was also a little worried.... mainly because I had to explain to the guy what size a Dragoon was, and that it was a SA BP revolver.

I did in fact visit the hunter holster website (huntercompany.com) before I talked to Cabela's. I looked under their "Western Holsters" link, but didn't see anything. I just found out their 1100 series is under their "Hunter Holsters" link.

mykeal,

I think that we're both right! This company's holsters tend to be more barrel-length specific and run a little "loose" at the cylinder area.

The main thing that I was trying to tell Bender is not to buy the holster for the "Army" that was in the link that he'd posted. From the looks of the thinness of the example in the link, I think that it's for the smaller-framed 1860 Army.

Of course the whole matter would be alot easier IF both Cabelas as well as the Hunter Company would just list the revolvers that the various designs would be good for, by name of revolver and barrel length! But then you & I don't own the Company! :wink:

If we weren't so far away, I'd take you for a drink!

Dave

smokin .50 said:
mykeal,

I think that we're both right! This company's holsters tend to be more barrel-length specific and run a little "loose" at the cylinder area.

The main thing that I was trying to tell Bender is not to buy the holster for the "Army" that was in the link that he'd posted. From the looks of the thinness of the example in the link, I think that it's for the smaller-framed 1860 Army.

Of course the whole matter would be alot easier IF both Cabelas as well as the Hunter Company would just list the revolvers that the various designs would be good for, by name of revolver and barrel length! But then you & I don't own the Company! :wink:

If we weren't so far away, I'd take you for a drink!

Dave

Well, then you won't mind if I take a minute to step over to the cupboard and pour myself one.

You are certainly right about the Army holster, and the thickness. A Dragoon will absolutely eat a thin leather belt and holster alive, even if the holster is sufficiently long and big around to hold the gun. In very short order it will be worse than no holster at all.

Horsehide is the best material, of course, and thickness is very important. I finally had a holster made for my Dragoons this last summer. Cost $160 for the belt and two holsters, one for my Dragoons and one for a c&b SAA. The belt is by far the thickest one I own, and it's really held up well.

Dave said:
Of course the whole matter would be alot easier IF both Cabelas as well as the Hunter Company would just list the revolvers that the various designs would be good for, by name of revolver and barrel length!

LOL, I said the exact same thing to the cabela's guy... I was generally complaining about the lack of size info, what style/types of revolvers would fit, etc.

Bender: Almost-authentic holsters for percussion wheelguns are really easy to make, if you have access to oak- or vegetable-tanned skirting leather. This is the kind of leather that is easily form-fitted when wetted. I hvae made a dozen or more such holsters over the years, and gotten compliments on them, and I "ain't no artisan," believe me. I make a rough pattern using a manilla folder with the revolver on the fold of the folder and tracing the contour with an inch or so of extra. Cut the pattern out, then hold it around the revolver to make sure it is a reasonable fit. Then trace the pattern on your skirting leather and cut it out. Wrap your revolver in plastic wrap, dip the leather in lukewarm water to thoroughly wet it, then fold it around your gun and start shaping it with your fingers, the firmer/closer the better. Once who have the leather following the countours of the gun, pull out the gun, adjust the main seam to make sure it is straight, and let dry. Once dry, you need to attach your belt loop, depending on the style holster you have chosen.I make it easy on myself, using copper rivets -- two at the top of the loop, then fold over and tack the bottom with rivet No. 3. Then you can glue the seam closed with Duco or better, Barge cement. If you want to try tooling, do this before gluing the seam, as you will want to unfold the now-stiff holster and rewet the leather where you plan to tool. Once the glue has set, trim the excess leather along the seam, mark your stitch holes (easiest with a wheel from Tandy) and poke them with a diamond- or triangle-shaped needle. I usually apply finish about here, but others may do it earlier in the process. Sew with saddle stitch, round and burnish the edge and off you go. Sounds harder than it is.

Bender,

How's it going in the search for the holster?

Reason that I ask is that I bought a Tripple-K Holster for the 1858 Buffalo revolver with 12" barrel for just $20.99 plus tax! It looks just like my other 3 holsters, all with the retaining strap that goes through the trigger guard! And for $21.00!

Hope that you've found what you're looking for!

Dave

I'm working on a Dixie order. Got a few small items in my cart so far. Was considering adding this to my cart:
[url] https://www.dixiegunworks.com...af8f902f915d978d79b24&keywords=hl0401&x=0&y=0[/url]

I'd prefer the open top style, with the strap thru, but the dixie one is ok.

I never heard of triple-k, but I went to their website and looked around (is[url] triplek.com[/url] the right website?). Don't see any dragoon-sized holsters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought this one for my Walker. I will let you all know what I think when it arrives.
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...1&subId=6&styleId=20&partNum=HOLSTER-M-W[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cabela's is like Sears, they don't really make anything, just put their name on it and sell it! I think that's the case with the Dragoon size, or you'll have to get the Hunter Co. one.

TripleK makes one for my new Buffalo. Cabela's had three of them in stock on the shelf a few days ago when I went to the PA store. The Buffalo has a 12" barrel, so it's odd that I'd find so many in stock! The Dragoon is more popular than the Buffalo, so a holster shouldn't be that hard to locate, provided you talk to somebody that knows what you're looking for and that has a brain. :hmm:

Good luck with the order.

Dave

Bender,

Yeah...I figure for the price you cant go wrong! I like the look of it too.

Before you decide on cheap, take a look at The Gun Works site and check out their early Slim Jim holsters. Not cheap but really snazzy! :wink:

I just bought this one for the 1858 target model from Cabelas for 20 bucks. As configuration for it and the pistol are not PC, I bought it just for carry, and not to mention, the price was certainly right.

Cabelas # is: 21-0083

i212561vr01.jpg

TANSTAAFL said:
I just bought this one for the 1858 target model from Cabelas for 20 bucks. As configuration for it and the pistol are not PC, I bought it just for carry, and not to mention, the price was certainly right.

That looks exactly like the one I ordered from Track of the wolf. And for the same price shipped. Mine too is just for carry purposes.

That looks exactly like the one I ordered from Track of the wolf. And for the same price shipped. Mine too is just for carry purposes

Are the snaps brass or chromed, and how did it fit?

TANSTAAFL said:
That looks exactly like the one I ordered from Track of the wolf. And for the same price shipped. Mine too is just for carry purposes

Are the snaps brass or chromed, and how did it fit?

Sorry should have been a bit more complete in my info.....I ordered it 3 days ago. Not here yet but I will let you know when it comes!

TANSTAAFL said:
OK, my first order from Cabelas with the holster is due here about the 11th.

Mine arrived today. Nice snug fit. It is not formed to the gun at all, but that will come with time. The leather is real stiff so I might wet it a bit to help form it. All in all it seems pretty good for the price.

Nice firm fit on the holster which is good, but I found that the outer finish cracked slightly when I jammed the walker into it. I applied some mink oil to the outside to soften the outer finish and that worked quite well. Very happy with the fit. :thumbsup:

Be interesting when mine arrives, states it is made for the target model, the regular 1858 holster at Cabelas is 18.00, versus the $20.00 for this one. The target holster appears more slender than other one and will be a tight fit, maybe too bloody tight.

i211074sm01.jpg

Remington Leather Holster Reg Price:
$17.99

i212561sm01.jpg

Army Target Black-Powder Holster
$19.99

Latest posts

Back