• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

revolver holsters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm interested in a semi-PC holster that would be correct for a 3rd Dragoon. Also one for a Rem 1858.

They don't have to be exactly period-correct holsters, but at least somewhat similiar to what was used back then. Belts too.

I'm familiar with Texas Jack's offerings. What are some other sites that would have nice holsters?

From time to time, there are some great holsters for sale in our Classifieds.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-classifieds/showcat.php/cat/13[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The only period correct holster for a Dragoon is a pommel holster for a saddle. They were not carried in a belt holster.

I got one from Dixie Gun Works - they are well made and reasonably priced - also have belts. I believe they are available in black or black. :grin:

The Dragoon is a big chunck to be carrying at your side.

Oh, and this will be butt-forward unless you're left handed, then it'll be butt rearwards.

mykeal said:
The only period correct holster for a Dragoon is a pommel holster for a saddle. They were not carried in a belt holster.

Sorry. This is incorrect. California holsters were made, as was this one.
Collector's Firearms

Check out Packing Ironfor some more examples. :thumbsup:

I mainly just want somewhere to stick it when I'm at the range with the Dragoon and my other modern guns.

plus... holster rubbing will make the gun a little more "worn" looking. It's too pretty now (new uberti).

Yes, it is quite a hunk of iron. My first bp revolver.

edit: butt-forward on the right side is not what a right handed person wants, is it...?
[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=4126[/url]

Bender said:
butt-forward on the right side is not what a right handed person wants, is it...?

It is the way that cavalry carried a pistol. The left side had the saber. The "cavalry twist" draw does take some practice, but isn't too hard to do safely. Personally I like a California holster built to hang straight up and down. Then I can wear it right hand strong side or on the left side as a cross draw like this one.

45B1.jpg

Doc Arroyo said:
mykeal said:

Sorry. This is incorrect. California holsters were made, as was this one.
Collector's Firearms

Check out Packing Ironfor some more examples. :thumbsup:

Wish you had been with me in '82 when I got dissed at a rondy for carrying my 2nd Model in a holster of exactly that same style. I was loudly and pointedly told that Dragoons weren't carried in belt holsters and to leave it in the car for the duration. Very embarrassing.

shortly after posting my question about "butt forward on the right side", I was reading "Percussion Pistols" by Bates & Cumpston, and they have a brief chapter on the very subject.

Yes, they said it seems wrong at first, but that's the way they did it, and you get used to it, and it works pretty well.

It is not only the way the cav. carried a pistol, but also any civil war officer. They carried their sword on thier left for right hand draw. So therefore the pistol holster was on thier right with the butt forward for that twisted hand draw.
The sword was used more by infantry officers than the pistol. The pistol was a last resort weapon. Thier troops were thier weapon of choice.

I like the California/Slim Jim style for my pistols too. And,now that we have established that Dragoons were carried on belts,any of you guys have a good picture of the belt rig that Gus wore to carry his Walker in Lonesome Dove? I know it was "just a Movie" but both he and Josie Wales wore them in their respective films...

When you look at the holster Doc posted you'll see a small square belt loop/tab- tightly sewn for the belt. The California/Slim Jim type holsters also have the small belt loop/tab. This is because the pistol is carried fairly high in the holster and can get a bit top heavy so the fit between the belt and the holster should be pretty tight.

Some of the Slim Jims were lined with suede. Later on Patten leather was used- I think Hickok used one.

Thanks for the links Doc. I make my own as well and I'm always looking for styles and ideas. I also favor the straight drop slim jim style for the same reasons you do.

the period flap holster linked to in Doc's first post in this thread (post #5) looks like right side, butt rearwards. Either way is fine with me. I'd prefer an open top, not a flap...like the slim jims.

A period belt, and buckle would be nice too...

I suppose a belt is a belt is a belt... just a strip of leather you know...

1840s - 1850s, pre-war.

how's the quality of texas jack's stuff?
[url] http://www.texasjacks.com/GunLeather/DragoonHlstr.htm[/url]

may not be pc, but its not expensive.

a pair of Dragoons being worn by Texas Ranger, John R.I.P. Ford early 1850's - note the holsters and the belt..

john-s-rip-ford-1850s.jpg

great pic!

dang, all my life I've only seen butt-rearwards... hollywood you know...and TV.

in the last 12, 13 years on the internet... I've learned stuff I never knew in my previous 30-something years...

That photo of RIP Ford always makes me think of how different the REAL Old West was from our Hollywood-influenced imaginations. If old RIP showed up dressed like that at a CAS shoot, there'd be some snickering behind his back, especially regarding the hat this "pilgrim" was wearing. In fact, almost none of the hats in photos from that period look anything like what most of us would care to be seen wearing today.

Graywolf,
That is just the sort of picture I was hoping to be able to see.Nice job and thanks a bunch.
Paul

let me get my holster lingo straight...I've been looking around on the web...

"right hand straight draw" means... right side, butt back?

"left hand cross draw" means... right side, butt forward?

etc, etc

Back