• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revisiting prescription Shooting Glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bring up an old thread but it is the most recent thread I found on this topic.

Being new to flintlock hunting, I would like some recommendations on types of "hunting" glasses. I don't wear glasses except for cheaters so I have to find something that will work for protection while hunting. I tend to fog up glasses very easily, especially when wearing a hat, wrap-around glasses with a hat is instant fog. I guess I am just a hotty!:)

Is it a good idea to wear yellow or copper lenses in low light conditions?

I'd like to find something that is easy to take on and off without losing them.
Jas Townsend, Smiling Fox Forge, and others have period style frames with blank lenses. The thing with 18th century frames is that they have no ear hooks but have loops at the end of the stems to attache a ribbon or string. This was usually used to snug the glasses in place when wearing but obviously can be used to suspend then around your neck. Any good eyeglass shop (not big box stores or eyeglass chains) can put whatever you want for lenses in whatever frames you need them in. This would include a bifocal of a cheater and no prescription I would assume.

@Stone, one of the problems I found when I was experiencing the getting glasses to deal with presbyopia was that the weakest readers generally available are 1.00. You can often find a pair of the 1.00 at the Dollar Store. These will let you know if the power is about right for seeing the front sight. I found that I needed 0.75 power or 0.50 powder to really see the front sight. You can find these glasses on Amazon or Ebay. These are very cheap and really don't provide full safety protection. Otherwise, you need to have a good optometrist to work with you and find the correct prescription lens and set the center of focus so the sight is in proper alignment. I have since gotten lens implants for cataracts and that has solved the sight visibility. However, that cost a lot more than the cheap reading glasses.

@Stone, one of the problems I found when I was experiencing the getting glasses to deal with presbyopia was that the weakest readers generally available are 1.00. You can often find a pair of the 1.00 at the Dollar Store. These will let you know if the power is about right for seeing the front sight. I found that I needed 0.75 power or 0.50 powder to really see the front sight. You can find these glasses on Amazon or Ebay. These are very cheap and really don't provide full safety protection. Otherwise, you need to have a good optometrist to work with you and find the correct prescription lens and set the center of focus so the sight is in proper alignment. I have since gotten lens implants for cataracts and that has solved the sight visibility. However, that cost a lot more than the cheap reading glasses.
I'm not sure I understand how cheaters to help see the sights could be used for hunting? How would you see things in the distance when looking through cheaters?

Yellow is great for low light. Never tired copper so cant comment on that.

I have a pair of Ray Bans that I have prescription and with bifocals on the bottom. They are photo sensitive. I wear them for hunting. For target work, I wear a pair of prescription shooting glasses.

Dont want to lose them? Just pay attention to what you are doing.

Fleener

I use 1X reading glasses to sometimes help me see the sights but if I do not hold my head in the same place using the very center of the lense my groups go to hell. Shooting from a bench and say looking through the top part of my glasses will turn 1" groups into 6" groups.

I'm not sure I understand how cheaters to help see the sights could be used for hunting? How would you see things in the distance when looking through cheaters?
With the low power reading glasses, the front sight will be in focus and the target will be very slightly out of focus. At the ranges game is hunted, that slight out of focus will still allow the game to be seen and the sights aligned to the vital area of the game.

With proper corrective lenses. The front sight will be in focus and the target will be in focus. At the ranges game is hunted, everything will be in focus.

Sean; give up the idea of just "readers" and get proper corrective lenses now. As you age, your vision will continue to digress.
Do let vanity claim your vision now with just bandaid applications.

I don't use "cheaters",,,,, yet. But, I have needed distance correction for a long time, and in the last two years have started to need correction for "mid range." My computer monitor at work, dashboard in a vehicle, pistol front sight. I two of my sets of glasses made up with my mid range prescription in the right lense and distance in the left. Pistol front sight is in focus with my right eye, target/threat area is in focus with my left. Works tolerable for rifle shooting and bow hunting, but, using just my distance prescription is better for those activities (no sights on my longbow).

Back