• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED What’s available left handed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitzitfish

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve been shooting/hunting my entire life with right handed everything. I’ve never had a LH rifle of any sort and I’m really wanting to get something left handed as I get older. Not sure what I’m after whether percussion or flint (Never had a flint and want to learn). I think if I go flint I’d like left to keep it on other side away from my eye. I’m kind of a newbie to ML and learning as I go. Just looking for a “beginner” something in left hand. I do have several TC and CVA in caps so I’m not a complete newbie. Just interested to see what some forum members might have that could put me into a left handed shooting setup? Ive been a forum member for a good while and I mostly read posts and learn from the great amount of information from the members.

I’ve been shooting/hunting my entire life with right handed everything. I’ve never had a LH rifle of any sort and I’m really wanting to get something left handed as I get older. Not sure what I’m after whether percussion or flint (Never had a flint and want to learn). I think if I go flint I’d like left to keep it on other side away from my eye. I’m kind of a newbie to ML and learning as I go. Just looking for a “beginner” something in left hand. I do have several TC and CVA in caps so I’m not a complete newbie. Just interested to see what some forum members might have that could put me into a left handed shooting setup? Ive been a forum member for a good while and I mostly read posts and learn from the great amount of information from the members.
Iv been eyeing up the investarms gremmer either in kit or complete but on muzzle loader.com they have in left handed and in different calibers, .50 and .54 I believe. From what I can see it’s a nice rifle for the price, Italian company but from my understanding not pedersoli. That’s an option and in .54 whoohooo you can’t go wrong!

FYI, the Investarm’s ‘Gemmer‘ Hawken Rifle kit is available in .45 to .54 caliber and as flintlock or percussion rifle, $619.

Nice looking piece! Well, it should be, as they made the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

C015EC93-9507-4243-88CE-1646AE231A36.jpeg

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/left-hand-investarm-gemmer-rifle-kit-50-cal-flintlock-ia3420k

Just interested to see what some forum members might have that could put me into a left handed shooting setup?
I may have a lefty flint 45-cal SMR with an outrageous tiger-striped stock for sale, but someone else has 1st dibs and is looking at it soon. But it is 2.5X the price of the kit above.

I do have several TC and CVA in caps so I’m not a complete newbie ...
Just to be aware ... once you go flint, you might just sell off all those cap guns! :ghostly:

Not trying to talk you into something you’re not comfortable with. But I am a south paw myself and shoot right handed flinters all the time. But but! That Gemmer hawken kit is quite intriguing I think she’ll be my next go to. I can’t imagine what a cheek piece must feel like..? Haha!

FYI, the Investarm’s ‘Gemmer‘ Hawken Rifle kit is available in .45 to .54 caliber and as flintlock or percussion rifle, $619.

Nice looking piece! Well, it should be, as they made the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

View attachment 288191

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/left-hand-investarm-gemmer-rifle-kit-50-cal-flintlock-ia3420k
I built a lefty percussion 50 caliber version of this. Pretty nice kit and gave me something to do when I couldn’t sleep.

Several BP pistol and revolvers work just fine for people so handicapped.

Hahaha I wouldn’t call it handicapped but I will say being left handed I’ve had to adapt to a right handed world and I’ve made it work for 50 plus years. I’ve never had a left handed gun and not sure that I could even use it after all these years but I sure want to find out

Nothing like flame and hot gases shooting across your face with a flinter just inches away, similar to shooting a AR with gases, debris and brass moving across your face. Handguns fired at arm's length are way different.

Last edited:
I'm a lefty but have LH and RH rifles. RH percussions don't bother me at all and I have them in T/C and Lyman. I also have LH Lymans/ Investarms in both flint and percussion. There are LH flints available used and you might keep an eye out here on the forum for one. I wouldn't hesitate to get a good used condition LH flinty. I also have a custom LH lancaster rifle with a Chambers lock and Rice barrel and it is a definite step up. While I use RH caplocks I don't think I would do as well with a RH flinty but others have no problem with them. Your overall best bet IMO is a custom or semi-custom LH flinter but I would advise getting a good used one , possibly a production gun first if you are more budget minded. You can always move up later.

I'm a lefty but have LH and RH rifles. RH percussions don't bother me at all and I have them in T/C and Lyman. I also have LH Lymans/ Investarms in both flint and percussion. There are LH flints available used and you might keep an eye out here on the forum for one. I wouldn't hesitate to get a good used condition LH flinty. I also have a custom LH lancaster rifle with a Chambers lock and Rice barrel and it is a definite step up. While I use RH caplocks I don't think I would do as well with a RH flinty but others have no problem with them. Your overall best bet IMO is a custom or semi-custom LH flinter but I would advise getting a good used one , possibly a production gun first if you are more budget minded. You can always move up later.
I have a number of LH rifles some of which are available. What is your budget range?

Pecatonica has some kits (parts sets) available in left hand. But they take more time and skill to build than the Investarms kits and are more pricey to boot. Only you can decide what will work for you.

Man, lots of lefties out there making the same journey I am. I shot some in the Navy and decided to stay right handed with the M-16 after I tried it left and could feel something grazing my beard. I also have a Navy Arms 1863 Springfield and shoot it right since I don't like the hammer so close to my eye when I tried it left. However I shoot pistol with both hands and am better left. I'm definitely left eye dominant. I just bought an Investarms left hand Gemmer Hawken 50 Cal. I've only put a few rounds through it and need to work on adjusting the rear adjustable Buckhorn sight. I also need to learn the loading cadence on the left. I think I'm going to like it since I keep yearning to get out to the range. By the way, this is a great forum, both informative and motivating.

I may have a lefty flint 45-cal SMR with an outrageous tiger-striped stock for sale, but someone else has 1st dibs and is looking at it soon. But it is 2.5X the price of the kit above.

Just to be aware ... once you go flint, you might just sell off all those cap guns! :ghostly:

Allow me to say that I bought a very good LH FL rifle from the Flint62Smoothie guy and highly recommend him, here I am in Australia and the gentleman went out of his way to make it happen; needless to say though that theres no shortage of Makers and Retailers who refuse business with overseas buyers like myself.

Not trying to talk you into something you’re not comfortable with. But I am a south paw myself and shoot right handed flinters all the time. But but! That Gemmer hawken kit is quite intriguing I think she’ll be my next go to. I can’t imagine what a cheek piece must feel like..? Haha!

Fun tip, sew up a cheekpeice bag with tie strings at each end (a small ring on each makes it easier to tie), you can fill the bag with some shaped polystyrene or hard foam) and viola you have a Lefty cheekpeice !

Nothing like flame and hot gases shooting across your face with a flinter just inches away, similar to shooting a AR with gases, debris and brass moving across your face. Handguns fired at arm's length are way different.

As a Lefty I've been shooting FL's and Percussion ML's for decades with nary a problem, the "flame and hot gases shooting across your face" really dont happen that way, theyre directed parallel but well away from the shooters face.
Sure it takes a little getting used to, but I put it to you that focus and follow through when firing tends to make the make the "flame and hot gases" irrelevant to a Lefty once theyve trained themselves accordingly.

Man, lots of lefties out there making the same journey I am. I shot some in the Navy and decided to stay right handed with the M-16 after I tried it left and could feel something grazing my beard. I also have a Navy Arms 1863 Springfield and shoot it right since I don't like the hammer so close to my eye when I tried it left. However I shoot pistol with both hands and am better left. I'm definitely left eye dominant. I just bought an Investarms left hand Gemmer Hawken 50 Cal. I've only put a few rounds through it and need to work on adjusting the rear adjustable Buckhorn sight. I also need to learn the loading cadence on the left. I think I'm going to like it since I keep yearning to get out to the range. By the way, this is a great forum, both informative and motivating.

I was a forward scout (Aussie army) in the early 70's carrying an M16, being a Lefty I copped an everlasting scar (bugger all of a problem really) on the outer corner of my right eye, have to say a bloke gets use to it and any distraction fades out in a short time. It got so that I'd stick a cut down bit of gaffer tape over the area for Range days (a 2 weekly training ritual), funny though how pealing the gaffer tape took some of my eyebrow off.

Abe’s Arms ( formerly general store) had many left hand rifles in stock last i was there. These included Investarms and a few customs. You can find them online and facebook. Or just call them.

Latest posts

Back