• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

replacement nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenl349

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I want to replace the nipples on my Pietta 1851 Navy (.36 cal. mfred in 1994). Which would be the best fit. I get different answers from vendors. track of the wolf says theirs, which takes #11 caps is correct. but always been told #10 caps are best for this model gun. And are there different size nipples that would fit and fire right?

The nipples can be of different sizes. Many factory nipples are sized for the #10 cap.

Track of the Wolf says that their cones fit a #11 cap. I would believe them. If you take a look at Track's web site, you will see many sizes of nipples. Track's description of the nipples will list thread specifics, cone height, and recommended nipple size. They also have the end use specified. There are 4 nipples listed for Pietta revolvers. Two in steel and two in stainless. There are two length of cones and overall lengths. All are sized for #11 caps.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/2
Both #10 and #11 caps have sufficient percussion material to fire right. The #11 caps will be easier to find.

funny thing is i found #10s last week and ordered them--1,000 of em. so i think I'll stick with them for the 1851 since they're just as good.
However, it would be easier to use the same caps for my revolver and rifle.

I've just experienced a bit of a hassle with replacement nipples. I wanted to replace the factory nipples on my Uberti 1861 Navy and ordered a set of Uberti 12X28s from SliXshot. They fit fine. Then I decided to try a set of Treso 12X28s on my other Uberti so I ordered them from eBay. My mistake apparently was thinking that 12X28s from different vendors would be interchangeable. Not so. The Treso 12X28s did not want to screw into the 1861 chamber and I chose not to force them. However, after a little experimentation, I found that the Treso set would fit the other gun and so I swapped them out. Visually, everything looks OK but I'll know for certain next week at the range.

I'm not sure that I understand what the correct threads and length shoud be. Is there a reliable reference for what each type of pistol should use?

To restate the problem I had...I ordered SliXshot and Treso nipples, both listed as for Uberti guns using 12X28 threads. But the Treso nipples didn't fit whereas the SliXshot did in a Uberti 1861 Navy.

This is the Treso tag:

Attachments

• Ebay Treso.jpg
    Ebay Treso.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 61
all my guns are fitted with Slixshot nipples from Badman Bullets.
They go a long way stopping cap jams and are made to work with Remington #10 caps.I have tried other brands and Remington #10 work best.
My recommendation I have no affiliation with Slixshot or BadmanBullets, just a satisfied customer and user.
Bunk

I agree with Bunk about SliXshot nipples and Remington #10 caps.

Not too sure about Treso nipples after my experience with them. Here are pics of two other Treso nipples, both for 12X28. One lists Uberti, the other does not but The Possible Shop states that 11-50-196 nipples are for Uberti revolvers. Why did my eBay order fit one of my Uberti pistols and not the other? Don't know. But I think I'll stick with SliXshot from now on.

Attachments

• Treso 2.jpg
    Treso 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Treso 3.jpg
    Treso 3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 75
It's called TOLERANCE --- thread fit is dependent upon hole size - tap wear for the female side and for the male side it's die wear and diameter of the round stock. In production the manufacture tries to maintain a "nominal" size for both so that the fit is consistent.

Back