• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renegade 54 cal first shoot, plus remington 1858 shoots.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my new (80's made lol) Thompson center renegade in 54 cal out to the range today, as well as my new (2016 made lol) pietta 1858 army, and had a blast, pun intended. Was surprised the renegade fired, being that I was sure something would go wrong. Cleaned that gun for weeks as the barrel had so much rust and I only have so much time between work. Fired a few caps at grass to check if it was blocked still (windy but it still moved it), and after 5 caps it seemed to work. I have over 1000 CCI #10s so I tried those on it. Failed to ignite the first time but went off the 2nd strike, this happened about 3/6 shots. No biggie, as long as they work, but it definitely could mess me up on a hunt. Used 60-70 grains of Triple 7, didn't go higher as I want to conserve it. OK groups with a slightly pitted barrel, but I didn't really have much time to test as I only had 45 mins on the range (class was going on when I arrived and they closed at 6pm). Shot 3 cylinders worth through my 1858, before it fouled up pretty bad and also I was on a time crunch haha. Used .454 prb and Burts Bees lip balm for my first cylinder over the ball lube. After that, I just used dry wads and nothing else. Did 40 grains of triple 7 on the first cylinder, then used 30 grains of pyrodex fffg on the other 2 cylinders worth. Shot much better with that. Although my groups weren't the best, I'll come early next week and actually try. Overall very fun first day with BP, and I didn't blow myself up! (yet). Cleaning was equally fun and relaxing although I don't have a proper sized nipple wrench for the 1858, and the nipple won't come off of the TC. I'm worried more about the TC as whoever had it last, took p*ss poor care of it. I cleaned them to the best of my extent with old cotton tshirts, ballistol, windex, soapy burning hot water and my proper tools. Took me about an hour and a half for both guns total. Also, I do have a dedicated Nipple wrench for my revolver and one for my rifle coming in from ToTw. On one final note, I didn't dry ball, even in a hurry, which is good because I don't have a ball puller either yet, lol! Also have that on the way from ToTw. Just wanted to share my first venture into the Holy Black hobby. Yakoke and chi pisa la chike!

Does the Renegade have a standard nipple on it? If so, it is not uncommon to experience misfires and/or hang-fires some of the time when using 777 substitute powder. I experienced several misfires and hang fires with 777 and a standard nipple on my New Englander in one range session. That's never happened before and never happened since with black powder. I'm sure a different nipple would have prevented that.

Secondly, the proper size cap might have prevented the issue.

Also, if there were any wet residue in the flash hole/breech area that too, can cause a misfire or hang-fire.

It would be interesting to know the results if you were to try some black powder with the same caps and/or some #11 caps. That would tell the story.

I had two Renegades that were built in the 80's. One would shoot a round ball well, the other one I couldn't hit the side of a barn with. However, it shot a Maxi Ball very well.

Does the Renegade have a standard nipple on it? If so, it is not uncommon to experience misfires and/or hang-fires some of the time when using 777 substitute powder. I experienced several misfires and hang fires with 777 and a standard nipple on my New Englander in one range session. That's never happened before and never happened since with black powder. I'm sure a different nipple would have prevented that.

Secondly, the proper size cap might have prevented the issue.

Also, if there were any wet residue in the flash hole/breech area that too, can cause a misfire or hang-fire.

It would be interesting to know the results if you were to try some black powder with the same caps and/or some #11 caps. That would tell the story.

I had two Renegades that were built in the 80's. One would shoot a round ball well, the other one I couldn't hit the side of a barn with. However, it shot a Maxi Ball very well.
I need to get some #11 caps and true black, but there's none local and I didn't want to spend too much on hazmat fees, but I'll have to check that out. I have triple 7 and pyrodex. The nipple wouldn't come off with what seemed to be a good wrench, but I have a new one coming in so hopefully that'll work. There was some gunk in the nipple previously that I couldn't reach prior to shooting, but it cleared with the cap testing. I'm sure I just need the #11 caps and a new nipple, I just got to get that old one off. Like I said, the previous owner didn't care at all to clean it. It must've fired it once or twice and then hung up or something, because it was well rusted and needed some TLC, but I got most of that cleaned. I just gotta stop being stingy, haha. Another issue, I think, is the side screw on the part with the nipple is busted, as no slot screwdriver works. I don't know what happened to it and I don't know what it's for, but hopefully it's not too important. I designated this a project gun, so work is expected. All else fails I'll buy a new barrel. Proper powder and caps are on the to-do list.

Edit: I should add that I had one random #11 cap from some unknown company lying around, from a snail capper I bought from a guy and he forgot was in it. It didn't even go off and seemed to be loose, so perhaps a dud.

I have over 1000 CCI #10s so I tried those on it. Failed to ignite the first time but went off the 2nd strike, this happened about 3/6 shots. No biggie, as long as they work, but it definitely could mess me up on a hunt.
This is just about guaranteed to happen when the caps are too small. The first strike seats the cap on the nipple which can't be done by hand and the second strike ignites the now seated nipple. Except for the fact that the nipple won't come loose, the solution is simple. Put a number ten size nipple on it or chuck a #11 in a drill and spin it against a fine file or fine sandpaper glued to a flat stick. Intermittently test fit a cap until it slides completely onto the nipple.

If unstucking the nipple results in damage to the breech threads, a nipple with .255 x 28 threads is available and will fit when the breech plug is re threaded for it.

Seems like you are off to a good start 👍

This is just about guaranteed to happen when the caps are too small. The first strike seats the cap on the nipple which can't be done by hand and the second strike ignites the now seated nipple. Except for the fact that the nipple won't come loose, the solution is simple. Put a number ten size nipple on it or chuck a #11 in a drill and spin it against a fine file or fine sandpaper glued to a flat stick. Intermittently test fit a cap until it slides completely onto the nipple.

If unstucking the nipple results in damage to the breech threads, a nipple with .255 x 28 threads is available and will fit when the breech plug is re threaded for it.

Seems like you are off to a good start 👍
Thanks, I'm probably gonna put a smaller nipple on it if I can get the danged thing off, haha. The Gun is a project gun, so I expect to have to upgrade stuff. I have 2 new wrenches coming in from ToTw so hopefully the rifle one helps. These are all expected issues so I won't complain, I'm still having fun regardless so that's what matters. Safety too, of course, but not everything fun is safe ;)

Thanks, I'm probably gonna put a smaller nipple on it if I can get the danged thing off, haha. The Gun is a project gun, so I expect to have to upgrade stuff. I have 2 new wrenches coming in from ToTw so hopefully the rifle one helps. These are all expected issues so I won't complain, I'm still having fun regardless so that's what matters. Safety too, of course, but not everything fun is safe ;)
I'm gonna start making my own #11 caps soon, costs nothing to make not including the few tools needed, that'll solve the one issue, hopefully.

I need to get some #11 caps and true black, but there's none local and I didn't want to spend too much on hazmat fees, but I'll have to check that out. I have triple 7 and pyrodex. The nipple wouldn't come off with what seemed to be a good wrench, but I have a new one coming in so hopefully that'll work. There was some gunk in the nipple previously that I couldn't reach prior to shooting, but it cleared with the cap testing. I'm sure I just need the #11 caps and a new nipple, I just got to get that old one off. Like I said, the previous owner didn't care at all to clean it. It must've fired it once or twice and then hung up or something, because it was well rusted and needed some TLC, but I got most of that cleaned. I just gotta stop being stingy, haha. Another issue, I think, is the side screw on the part with the nipple is busted, as no slot screwdriver works. I don't know what happened to it and I don't know what it's for, but hopefully it's not too important. I designated this a project gun, so work is expected. All else fails I'll buy a new barrel. Proper powder and caps are on the to-do list.

Edit: I should add that I had one random #11 cap from some unknown company lying around, from a snail capper I bought from a guy and he forgot was in it. It didn't even go off and seemed to be loose, so perhaps a dud.
Leave that little side screw (ALONE) as it is not supposed to be removed ,the guy who owned it before you didn't know that either . /Ed

Kroil, applied liberally, and a day or two of patience.

40+ years ago I bought a set of nipples from Uncle Mike's for my ROA. They were for #11 caps AND worked with a normal nipple wrench instead of that horrid Ruger hex wrench. I liked them so much I bought two more sets. Look for nipples that will fit #11 caps for your pistol. They are a lot easier to find than #10.

Good Luck!!

Kroil oil works !! I put it down the barrel and thru the touch hole on a barrel to remove the breach plug let it sit a couple of days, reapplied and another day later removed the plug. The barrel looked like a sewer pipe.
Concentrate oil near the nipple area and let it work.

Kroil oil works !! I put it down the barrel and thru the touch hole on a barrel to remove the breach plug let it sit a couple of days, reapplied and another day later removed the plug. The barrel looked like a sewer pipe.
Concentrate oil near the nipple area and let it work.
Bob Hoyt is the only one removing breech plugs from my guns ,some are not removable and the ones that are require the tools to do that . And the best part guessing if you got a non removable one , or not!

Back