• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

remove or not remove barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my rifles are held in place with a key as on my GPR or plains rifle. My early Virginia rifle has a barrel that is pinned in place, so to remove it for every cleaning would be wholly impractical.

my lyman rifle barrel is very easily removed and I always take it out. Regards Browndog

My Traditions is also keyed, and thus very easy to remove so I do. I used to use a tube made of fish tank air tubing over the nipple. Worked slick, but occasionally popped off spilling fluid all over the gun stock. This is what i would use for any pinned barrel rather than fully removing the barrel.

I do it both ways but removing the barrel makes it easier to keep the stock looking good. However I only remove the lock a few times a year. Geo. T.

My Derringer rifle is keyed, but the breech plug is threaded into the barrel. Its easier to leave the barrel in the stock than to remove the keys and the tang bolts to remove the barrel. I don't think it is necessary to remove the barrel for cleaning.

I will remove the barrel on my patent breech Hawken rifle.

Patent breech with keyed barrel - remove

Breech plug with pinned barrel - don't remove

My flintlock has a pinned barrel, so I leave it "in-the-stock" and clean it very carefully.

My two Hawkens have removable barrels held in place with a "key". I removed these rifle's barrels for cleaning.

Whether you remove your rifle's barrel or not depends on whether it is "pinned" in place or is easily removed by simply removing the wedge-shaped "key" which holds it in place.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I remove the barrel on all of my muzzleloading rifles to clean them.

This includes more than a few pinned longrifles I built.

9311830838_3224fc4b43_b.jpg

When removing a pinned barrel it is necessary to use another pin that is smaller than the one thru the barrels underlugs and yes, you have to be careful not to damage the wood.
This is not the huge task some make it out to be though. It just takes being careful. :)

Zonie said:
I remove the barrel on all of my muzzleloading rifles to clean them.

This includes more than a few pinned longrifles I built.

9311830838_3224fc4b43_b.jpg

When removing a pinned barrel it is necessary to use another pin that is smaller than the one thru the barrels underlugs and yes, you have to be careful not to damage the wood.
This is not the huge task some make it out to be though. It just takes being careful. :)

Yeah, you have to clean them right pinned or not.

PS,
I'd like to be included in your will even though you're left brained.

The very last day at the GAC Gettysburg reenactment was interesting 5 minutes after the las battle(Picket's Charge) I rain as if the world was on fire. We had to walk 2 miles back to Confed camp in it. All muskets were drenched. We packed up that night in the rain and drove home. I got home 14 hours later and went to bed after setting up wet canvas--To make a long story short. If your long gun was out in the rain pull everything from the stock Because it sure is wet and may be rusty. It took me over 5 hours to clean up 2 muskets. Rust was visable under the barrel bands and on the underside of the barrel. There was even mositure in the locks.

Nice rifles!! :bow: I remove my barrel 3 or 4 times a year just to make sure everything is alright, cause one time I pulled it I had a couple of spots were rust was trying to take hold. Cleaned it up an put some gun wax on the underside, so far so good. :thumbsup:

Pinned barrels; NO. All others; usually. I only remove a pinned barrel when there is any kind of work needed.

InvestArm .54 caliber Hawken with breech end hooked into the tang and a single brass key holding the barrel through escutcheons: Remove barrel to clean. I know every inch of that rifle, as I built it from a kit from Dixie Gun Works.

Pedersoli .50 caliber Kentucky Rifle with barrel held to stock by pins: Keep the barrel in the stock to clean.

Both methods work fine.

Latest posts

Back