• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaving pellets in muzzleloader - how long?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eichhoma

Pilgrim
Reaction score
How long do you guys usually leave your powder pellets in the barrel?
When I come in for a hunt I remove the firing cap and leave it loaded....
But if it were to be 3-4 days would you completely unload, clean again and reload then, or would you leave it in?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some guys leave their rifles loaded all season. I however, unload at the end of the day into a stump. At the end of the season I dig out the round balls, and recast them. It doesn't matter what type of rifle that you have, though folks either cover the nipple or plug the touch hole. I wouldn't leave an opening to the main charge uncovered no matter what I was using.

We don't discuss inlines nor sabots, but it doesn't matter, the question is how to protect the main charge, eh?

LD

I never leave pellets in my barrel, because I would never put pellets in my barrel. I’ve seen too many cases were the two pellet charge was fired, and one pellet come out like a tracer because it did not ignite properly. In those situations the bullet normally Lands 50 or 60 yards in front of the gun digging into the ground. Why would you risk that? I’ve never had that problem with loose powder. A plastic tube with loose powder is just as fast as pellets. I don’t see the advantage.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
What's this pellet stuff?

20220729_121418_copy_600x800.jpg

I know for a fact that they can sit loaded with Pyrodex pellets for one year and go off without a hitch.

As an experiment, I left a .54 Renegade loaded with a Maxi ball and 90 grs. of FFG from Goex in my gun room for four years (It is my spare gun) and it went off first try. When hunting I seal the muzzle with electrical tape and a CCI magnum cap that fits snug on my nipple. Never had a refusal to go on the first try. A small piece of old inner tube on the nipple with the hammer down seals the bore if I'm leaving it loaded over night.

Last time I bought pellets they looked like the ones in the picture, never occurred to me to put them in any of my muzzle loaders!!! On a serious note, if you keep the charge dry, weather pellets, powder or substitutes, you can leave it loaded for the season! Loyalist Dave gave good advice. Also, if you have the means, leave secured it outside as to avoid condensation from going in an out the house or other warm place.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpeg
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 0
BTW, I loaded my Hatfield 54 cal with 80 hrs of Swiss 2F and PRB with a 1075+ and cover the muzzle with target tape and a drop of wax over the caps on November 20th. Hunted all season in northern Minnesota, lots of snow and frigid temps, didn’t get a shot. Finally fired it on July 18. Hit a B-16 pistol target [8 in] at a 100 yards, first attempt. If you decide to seal the cap with wax and leave the gun outside make sure you can do so safely.

Smart Pills

As an experiment, I left a .54 Renegade loaded with a Maxi ball and 90 grs. of FFG from Goex in my gun room for four years (It is my spare gun) and it went off first try. When hunting I seal the muzzle with electrical tape and a CCI magnum cap that fits snug on my nipple. Never had a refusal to go on the first try. A small piece of old inner tube on the nipple with the hammer down seals the bore if I'm leaving it loaded over night.
When I had my shop I don't even remember how many loads I shot out from the previous season from customers that didn't know if their gun was loaded or not. I wonder how many shot holes in their floor with an unloaded gun

When I had my shop I don't even remember how many loads I shot out from the previous season from customers that didn't know if their gun was loaded or not. I wonder how many shot holes in their floor with an unloaded gun
Most of those folks should not be let outside, without adult supervision and should never handle any firearm.

Seen a guy put a cap on his gun and fire it in a closet before he got in my truck to go hunting. Actually i was sittin in my truck waiting for him. He came out yelling for me to help him. Dang smoke was every where in there.woke his wife and kids up. All the screaming and yelling. I asked him why he did that his reply was that he needed to have a dirty bore.his muzzleloader was still loaded from the weekend hunt. Needless to say he didnt go hunting that day. Wife put a stop to his hunting.

Back