• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing rust in the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I used a half inch hand drill to run it. It took quite a few passes & paper changes to grind down the lands and remove the pitting from the grooves."

And presto! You have definitively killed your rifle. I see this idea once in a while. I can not imagine why anyone would think it is a good idea. Short answer never ever spin anything over the lands and grooves of a rifle.

that is what I would try. he is using a pistol load of powder. even the condition it is in I bet with some load development it would shoot a lot better then now
Went today and shot it again, using double the powder charge, 70gr, no improvement, backed it down to 50gr and it got a little better, but not much, at least they where on the paper. The target was at 50yds, one shot in the black and the ones in the white where 70gr, the rest in the black where 50gr.
20231128_161441.jpg

So called Robert Hoyt today, and will be sending it off to him to do whatever he can with it.

"I used a half inch hand drill to run it. It took quite a few passes & paper changes to grind down the lands and remove the pitting from the grooves."

And presto! You have definitively killed your rifle. I see this idea once in a while. I can not imagine why anyone would think it is a good idea. Short answer never ever spin anything over the lands and grooves of a rifle.
You must have missed the part about making it a smooth bore. See post #33

I made the tool to ream it out

Well it took me a while to find it, been years since it was used, beginning to think I had loaned it to someone. It is basically a home made hone.
I used a piece of old CB radio antenna I had, that was damaged in a storm decades ago. It's 3/8 inches in diameter and 45 inches long. I have seen that type of tubing in, I think Hobby Lobby or maybe Home Depot for making wind chimes in 1/4 inch diameter & 36 inches long. Cut a slot in one end and drill a hole for a set screw to clamp the spring & abrasive in. I used crankshaft paper that is sold in Auto Parts stores in several grits. The spring is made from a piece of worn out metal cutting band-saw blade about an inch and three quarters long. To use just compress the spring & paper into an S shape so it will fit into the bore, I used a half inch hand drill to run it. It took quite a few passes & paper changes to grind down the lands and remove the pitting from the grooves. Hope this helps.
View attachment 272708
View attachment 272709
Assumed you were going to describe a process using an expandable reamer and wasn’t expecting the sandpaper on a slotted CB antenna. Curious as to what you found the bore diameter to measure at the breech and muzzle (and any points in between) using the setup you describe?

Went today and shot it again, using double the powder charge, 70gr, no improvement, backed it down to 50gr and it got a little better, but not much, at least they where on the paper. The target was at 50yds, one shot in the black and the ones in the white where 70gr, the rest in the black where 50gr.
View attachment 272822
So called Robert Hoyt today, and will be sending it off to him to do whatever he can with it.
the group in the black at 50 yds is excellent. tweak that some more and it might get better

You must have missed the part about making it a smooth bore. See post #33
Must have.

To make a smoothbore you need to drill out the rifleing. This is best done with a piloted drill. The rifling usually sets up a harmonic vibration that ruins the finish. That needs to be tamed. Then once the hole is round it need to be reamed. Both are done using a lathe, special tools and coolant-lubricant under pressure. The speed and feed is important to getting decent result.

Hoyt does this work all day long. He will do it right.

First of all the rifle was a Spanish Jukar 54 caliber flintlock and the rust/corrosion was so bad that there was not much left of the lands. I didn't think it was worth sending the barrel to Bobby Hoyt, which I have done in the past. So I thought a little experimenting was in order.

The crank shaft paper I started out with was 58 grit so it removed what was left of the lands without any problem. To finish up I switched to 100 grit then Scotch Brite pads for a smoother finish.
Yes, it took me quite a long time with multiple passes both from the muzzle and the breech. I had pulled the breech plug. I was very careful to use a steady stroke both down & back swapping the ends with every in & out stroke. I really can't tell how long it took to get to the groves, as I would work on it in my spare time over a month probably. Before anyone asks when I was finished for the day, I ran an oil soaked very tight patch on a jag down the bore to prevent it rusting and to feel for tight or loose sections. When I was using the hone I used Tap Magic as a cutting oil.

When I was satisfied with the final passes I measured the bore at the muzzle and it was 0.725 so basically a 12 ga. Not happy with just knowing the muzzle diameter, being a blacksmith and regularly forging things to the thickness of a well worn shilling I forged a button to fit snugly in the bore at the breech, it measured 0.736 and I could turn it without any tight or loose spots. I drilled and tapped the button for a machine screw that would fit my steel range rod. Ran the button from the breech turning it every inch to see if the bore was concentric and was satisfied that it was close enough. the button got tight about 2 & 1/2 inches from the muzzle. I thought about using the hone to open it up, then why, I basically had a back bored 12 gauge with a choke. Even though the barrel walls were a little thicker it pointed pretty good but didn't swing as fast as the original Fowler's I have restored.

Funny end to that gun. I thought about using it for turkey hunting. I was at the range to do some test firing. I have a good assortment of felt wads and over powder & shot cards. In my other shot guns, I use an equal amount of powder and shot by volume. I started with 70 gr of Goex ffg powder primed with ffffg and an equal volume of # 4 lead shot. Placed a turkey target out at 40 yards. The pattern was so/so. I increased the powder to 80 gr and equal volume of shot. That pattern was acceptable to me with about 8 pellets in the head & neck area.

While I was out hanging another target someone pulled up and got out of his truck and walked up to the firing area, walking back, I noticed he was looking at the gun and target. I recognized him from some of our muzzle shoots at the range. While I was loading it up he asked about the interesting shotgun and I gave him the cliff notes about it and I accomplished it without $30,000 worth of tooling.

He seemed so interested I asked him if he would like to shoot it. Silly question I know, I also knew he was familiar with muzzleloaders so I handed it to him and the priming flask. He stepped up to the firing line, primed it and steady as rock took aim and boom. He handed it back and said he would go and get the target. When he got back we compared the targets and his had a little tighter spread definitely a dead turkey.

While I was at the loading bench he asked how it shot round balls. It just so happened I had balls & patches that would fit it. He took a regular rifle target out and put it up. When he returned I loaded it up, steped up to the firing line, primed and boom. We could see the bullet hole, a little off to the right and at 2 o'clock. I loaded again, handed it to him with the priming flask. He walked up to the line and again steady as a rock boom. He laughed and said Kentucky windage the shot was 12o'clock right above the ten ring. I told him he was a lot steadier than I so try a couple more shots. This time he loaded it and that shot was in the ten ring, after a couple of more shots which all grouped in the ten ring, he asked me if I would sell it.

He was telling me he deer & turkey hunted but didn't have a flintlock. I told him to make me an offer, I went home with $300, when Jukar's were only selling for about $100, how could I resist, because I no longer hunted and if I decided to go hunting, I had enough guns to choose from.
The last time I saw him at a shoot he told me he took 2 nice toms and an 8 point buck with it. It felt good to make someone happy.

OH and by the way a friend who worked for Wilson Combat took the barrel and using their gauges, confirmed my measurements and said good job. Would I do that again, oh heck no, but I still use the hone to remove rust from any smoothbore I get that needs it, since the Jukar I've used it twice but with Fine paper.
Curious as to what you found the bore diameter to measure at the breech and muzzle

Must have.

To make a smoothbore you need to drill out the rifleing. This is best done with a piloted drill. The rifling usually sets up a harmonic vibration that ruins the finish. That needs to be tamed. Then once the hole is round it need to be reamed. Both are done using a lathe, special tools and coolant-lubricant under pressure. The speed and feed is important to getting decent result.

Hoyt does this work all day long. He will do it right.

You could try a mild rust remover and a stainless steel bore brush. Liberally scrub your bore. Then clean normally. Try bullets if that's your preference and then a patched ball if it doesn't give groups you like. A thicker patch with a slightly smaller diameter bullet (I.e. .485 instead of .490) would be my next attempt. Just remember to SCRUB that bore! After that, reboring or rebarreling would be all you can try. Good luck! I saved an accurate but cheap 50cal that wasn't worth the barrel swap and it shoots as good as ever. Stainless brushes are hard to find but they exist. Good luck and I hope these methods help.

You could try a mild rust remover and a stainless steel bore brush. Liberally scrub your bore. Then clean normally. Try bullets if that's your preference and then a patched ball if it doesn't give groups you like. A thicker patch with a slightly smaller diameter bullet (I.e. .485 instead of .490) would be my next attempt. Just remember to SCRUB that bore! After that, reboring or rebarreling would be all you can try. Good luck! I saved an accurate but cheap 50cal that wasn't worth the barrel swap and it shoots as good as ever. Stainless brushes are hard to find but they exist. Good luck and I hope these methods help.
Your bluing may/will need touching up from the mild rust remover. Still cheaper than reboring or swapping barrels.

Absolutely agree, fast way to ruin a barrel.

After trying Evaporust on some motorcycle parts, I have been wondering how well that would work in a gun barrel. Anybody here try it before? It sure gets steel clean and I can't find any dimensional change.

First of all the rifle was a Spanish Jukar 54 caliber flintlock and the rust/corrosion was so bad that there was not much left of the lands. I didn't think it was worth sending the barrel to Bobby Hoyt, which I have done in the past. So I thought a little experimenting was in order...

Thanks for the information!

I intend to smoothbore a TC barrel thats very badly pitted. Thanks in adavance for any well intentioned suggestions on how to try to work with it, but its way past that stage, its getting smoothbored or junked. To me its not worth paying to get it smoothbored when i can do it myself and make a poor investment into something unsable without much further finacial investment.

I guess Id have to repeat the saying, isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?

Absolutely agree, fast way to ruin a barrel.

So its ruined by making a badly pitted barrel into a smoothbore that shoots good and can shoot shot?

That doesn't sound like a smoothbore to me.

So its ruined by making a badly pitted barrel into a smoothbore that shoots good and can shoot shot?

Latest posts

Back