• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing rust in the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For cleaning ‘pads’, these are THE BEST you can get! They’ll even remove rust without even damaging or removing the bluing or browning, like Scothbrite pads or steel wool will!

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/big-45-frontier-metal-cleaning-pads.167852/#post-2409699
I bought several and have yet to try them. Only one unmentionable needs a bit so next time (right?) I shoot it I will clean it inside and out and see how they work (if they still have any moisture left in them lol)

I can confirm molasses works, although I find with my weaker mix it takes 1-2 weeks & periodic brush scrubbing to remove heavy rust. I use it to de-rust hurricane lanterns that are tin (or lead-tin) plated. The solution will last years if it doesn't mold or ferment.

I have lead lapped moderately pitted barrels and made them shoot and load well. The procedure is not something the average hobbiest can do right. Based on the photos this one is beyond help. Bobby Hoyt is a good answer. They made these rifle in 54, he can do that.

I have an old TC 50 Hawken with hardly any rifling, no rust, I use it for a shotgun with cards made from milk cartons, felt lubed wad, another card, 7/8th oz. of shot, another card on top for 15yds or so. Works great!

Well, spent most of last night, scrubbing out the bore, didn't get it all, but removed a lot, and it left a fair bit of pitting behid, went to the range to shoot it, and it fowled badly, and couldn't even keep it on paper from 50yd shooting off bags. I think the barrel might be toast. Do I have any options to re-barrel it, or should I just sell it as a parts gun, and buy something new with equivalent features. It's a .50cal Lyman GPR.
Have bored out to .54

No but as soon as I can get to the shop and find it I'll take one and post it.

Thanks. I have a TC with pretty bad bore. Its not really in my budget to "Just spend a lot of money and get it fixed by doing/buying ______" If its something I could do myself, or in the shop of a friend with some basic tools and lathe, Ill do it, otherwise its a wall hanger or trade stock. Id like to be able to use it.

If its something I could do myself, or in the shop of a friend
Well it took me a while to find it, been years since it was used, beginning to think I had loaned it to someone. It is basically a home made hone.
I used a piece of old CB radio antenna I had, that was damaged in a storm decades ago. It's 3/8 inches in diameter and 45 inches long. I have seen that type of tubing in, I think Hobby Lobby or maybe Home Depot for making wind chimes in 1/4 inch diameter & 36 inches long. Cut a slot in one end and drill a hole for a set screw to clamp the spring & abrasive in. I used crankshaft paper that is sold in Auto Parts stores in several grits. The spring is made from a piece of worn out metal cutting band-saw blade about an inch and three quarters long. To use just compress the spring & paper into an S shape so it will fit into the bore, I used a half inch hand drill to run it. It took quite a few passes & paper changes to grind down the lands and remove the pitting from the grooves. Hope this helps.
hone 3.JPG

hone.JPG

I have heard of this happening with pyrodex but never seen it. Do you think that is what the previous owner was using?

Back