• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington VS CCI Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernierod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Are the Remington caps slightly softer and larger than the same size CCI caps??Thanks Ernie

Remington caps are slightly shallower than cci caps and seat better on the nipple. This in my opinion makes them easier to touch off than the cci caps. The guns I have that have a less than top quality lock or main spring I use the Remingtons. The rest I use cci caps on.

Don

I don't know if the Remingtons are softer or thinner, as I don't have any CCI left to compare them too. They do go off a lot easier. I had a number of misfires with CCI's on different guns. All corrected by switching to Remington caps. It seems a lot of folks are saying Remington caps are getting hard to find lately though. I don't know if they stopped making them or what.

they are no longer listed on the remington site or at any of the distributors

That's a scary thought, MEC. I'd hate to be limited to CCI only. I guess it's time to lay in a giant supply if I can find any, and hope someone comes along and makes a good cap soon. I'm surprised that CCI hasn't gotten the hint by now and corrected the problem. They make dang good centerfire primers, though harder to set off than most others.

Dixie Gun Works still has the Remington caps listed on there site. I forget who but I know a few other sites has the Remington caps as well but they wanted you to buy them by the case for about $40-60. At least with Dixie you can get them by the can and don't have to get 1000 at a time. I don't think they hit you with a hazmat fee like some of the other site do.

Frost

Maybe I'm the only one, but I find Remington caps plug the nipple almost 50% percent of the time, forcing me to pick or scrape the hole. It loks like the center of the cap get's smashed in and causes the next cap to misfire. CCI's (regular or mag) seem to work all the time and seldom plug up.

My experience is 180 degrees off from you guys. I have had great luck with CCI and horrible luck with Remingtons. This of course is mostly with rifles I only have two cap pistols.

"I'm surprised that CCI hasn't gotten the hint by now and corrected the problem. They make dang good centerfire primers, though harder to set off than most others.."

I'm not surprised. Nobody has been able to get them to lighten up on the .22 rimfires or the centerfire primers. But you are right. They are good primers if you hit them hard enough. I've found that hard dowel seating the cci caps on my light- actioned replicas has worked so far.

I looked at the remington site at the black powder section. The only product listed was some sort of inline muzzle loader primer.

:hmm: Remington primers aren't popular with cartridge reloaders---they are very soft primers and tend to distort too easily. I wouldn't use a Remmie primer or Caps---so far CCI and RWS are the very best in my book. :hatsoff:

Pasquenel said:
:hmm: Remington primers aren't popular with cartridge reloaders---they are very soft primers and tend to distort too easily. I wouldn't use a Remmie primer or Caps---so far CCI and RWS are the very best in my book. :hatsoff:
Federals are even softer. They'll go off in a press. Some of the CAS shooters like them because they have their springs so light they won't fire anything but Federals. I like CCI primers and caps. I've got some RWS, Remington and CCI caps. I get some misfires with the Remingtons but the RWS and CCI are good.

I've always had trouble with CCI caps fitting on the nipple--they're usually just a hair small. The Remingtons fit perfectly (for me) and give me much more consistent fire.

That being said, RWS is the best, In my book, with Remington a close second.

I found Remington caps at my local Rural King store, and WalMart had them during season. I buy a tine every time I go into Rural King; don't even know how many I have at this point.

Regards,

I only use ( Vorderlader Zundhutchen # 1075 ) thay are made in Germany. Thay are the best. Thay will go off every time and are the hottest ones I have ever come across.

Back