• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remakes of Our Favorites

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy Eagle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: WIth topic thread about the remake of "True Grit"(I still remember being a kid in the theater with my parents, my sister and an uncle seeing the movie for the first and the response of the crowd when John Wayne's character told the outlaws"fill your hands you S-O-Bs), what other westerns style movies would you like seee remde or not remade and who would you like see in the roles? Would any one out there dare to remake onof John Ford's classic westerns? How about 'The Unconquered', 'Northwwst Passage' or 'Drums Along the Mohawk'? I like myself 'Tombstone' over 'Wyatt Earp'. The problem some of use will have toward remakes and the very making of the remaking is the filling the shoes of icons--John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Clenn Ford, Randolph Scott, Ben Johnson, Joel McGree, etc.

"The Missing" was supposed to be a remake of "The Searchers". The only thing I saw in common was that they were looking for kids grabbed by indians. "The Searchers" is one of my favorite movies and the remake missed the mark.

The remake of "3:10 to Yuma" was a good movie in its own right but missed the mark as far the spirit of the original.

I would have trouble with a remake of "Shane". The original was so well done that the remake would have to be something really special to improve it.

I agree with you on "Tombstone" over "Wyatt Earp". I think a remake of "Northwest Passage" would be interesting if it stuck closer to the book than the original. The same goes for "Drums Along the Mohawk".

"Drums Along the Mohawk" is the one I would like to see. I would be waiting to see who they would cast as the widow. :haha:

After the True Grit remake comes out, they might ought to come out with a new Rooster Cogburn(and The Lady) as a sequel. :idunno:

Mike2005 said:
I think a remake of "Northwest Passage" would be interesting if it stuck closer to the book than the original. The same goes for "Drums Along the Mohawk".
I would like to see a remake of "Northwest Passage" if they used the complete book, not just the first part like the original did.

As for "Drums Along the Mohawk", I don't know. That is still one of my favorites, watched it again last night. Henry Fonda, Ward Bond and Edna May Oliver as Widow MacKlennar (my favorite character). Be awful hard to fill those roles.

I'd like to see a remake of "The Unconquered". Good movie, but I think it wasted the talents of its stars.

I have seen a lot of the older movies and almost all of the 1970s and on. In my opinion of Hollywood needs to step up and make some original films. I actually thought Appaloosa was good. There are tons of great short stories and even great books that have never been given a chance. I think it takes away from the original film to redo it.

I agree with that a remake of Shane would be terrible. Although some would think Pale Rider was a remake of Shane.

Ahh! Edna May Oliver. One of my favorites. You need to see some of her whodunit movies with James Gleason and her portrayal of the Grandmother in "We're Rich Again". She was something else. She died too soon.

there was a story i think on drudge that said george lucas is going to make new movies with old stars by some miricale of computer wizardry! is this good or bad? your friend tuckwilkins

truckwilkins said:
there was a story i think on drudge that said george lucas is going to make new movies with old stars by some miricale of computer wizardry! is this good or bad? your friend tuckwilkins

That way they don't have to deal with those pesty actors or pay the old ones.

Oh, I don't know. They did some commercials a few years ago like that. Kind of interesting but they had a lot of problems with the late actor's estates about royalties and the like.

i read where the new tron movie they use jeff bridges head but a younger acters body your friend truck wilkins

I vote for "Drums" as well...something that sticks right to the plot line of the book, which held me captivated, spellbound, the first time I read it. I literally could not put it down, reading in bed with a flashlight long after "lights out". I swear I finished that whole book in four days, school or not! (Got "busted" by one teacher, but when she saw what I was reading, she let it slide!) :wink:

I wish the Coen Brothers would go after that one next!

Back