• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refreshing a .32 Cal. Squirrel gun barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossfox

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hiya MGM!

Clean the bore as well as you can, then with an undersize jag(maybe .22cal) wrap just enough 0000 steel wool around it to fit the bore snuggly, not tight, you want to be able to run the cleaning rod up and down the bore with just thumb and first finger pressure. Add a few drops of oil to the steel wool and run it up and down the bore a couple of dozen times, then wipe with clean, dry patches. If you feel the dry patches drag where the rust is, run some more clean 0000 steel wool with oil up & down the bore again, then clean as before. Light pitting will not adversely hurt the barrel or it's accuracy.

Hope this helps you!

Steel wool is good,I have used it before and have had good luck,after I am done with the wool,I use extra fine lapping abrasive on a tight fitting cleaning patch to finish up with.Good luck

Hi, just found this great forum, hope you can give me some suggestions. I have a very nice old .32 cal. squirrel gun that has some rusty spots in the bore. Any suggestions on cleaning or refreshing the rifling in this gun? She has a 42" barrel, and actually was made in Western Michigan by a local muzzleloader. Thanks!

Thanks Guys, I will try the steel wool and the polishing compound. I was wondering if a tool is available for the home gunsmith to recut/refresh the rifling itself in a small dia. barrel such as my .32 cal?

Other than a rifling machine I dont know of a tool, but some cast a small lead plug in the barrel after pulling the breechplug. A hole is drilled in the plug and a rod attached to push it through the bore. Lapping compound added to the sides of the plug and bore will slowly "float" the bore and rifling smooth. Note: this plug is hard to drive up and down the bore and the whole process is a lot of work. The rifling does not need to be sharp for good accuracy, just smooth and consistant. This point is especially true for patched projectiles. You might find Ned Roberts "Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" interesting for this topic. Originally published in 1940 I believe it was reprinted about 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read in a Michigan sportsman magazine that the Squirrel season in Michigan will now run until March 31st! The old Squirrel dogs will get a work out this next winter! I better scrub out that .32 cal. barrel and put some .310 balls through her this summer to keep old bushy tail on his toes. Any "Grand Valley Cap `n Baller`s" here?

Back