• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Redeye Gravy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greycat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I read a thread somewhere in here about making Redeye gravy, and it set the memory mill to churning. So I went out this past week and picked up some cuntry ham, and made myself up some ham, grits, redeye, and biscuits.

Just thought I'd share :)

[url] http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/GreycatSR5/Redeye.jpg[/url]

G

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good to me. I haven't had breakfast yet. I have a lot of fond memories of country breakfasts. Especially on overnight hunting trips. I know the deer had to smell it and wonder "what the heck is that?" But it sure was fun.

mmmmmm.... I'm gett'n hungry look'n at that!!!!.

P.S. Could you educate a suburbanite as to what's "Red Eye Gravy"??

Been a long time since I've had it, but basically you just use coffee instead of water/milk, right?

Ridge said:
Been a long time since I've had it, but basically you just use coffee instead of water/milk, right?

The kind I am used to also used either ham drippings (or sometimes sausage or bacon drippings depending on which kind of meat is cooked for the meal) and definitely used NON-decaffeinated coffee.

I think the "thickening" still uses water or milk, but it may well just be that applies to the redeye gravy that I am used to. I think there are many variants and it's just what you get used to having.

FYI, there's also a major abundance of ground black pepper in the kind I'm used to eating. The coffee can hardly be tasted, but you know it's in there after you eat enough of it.

I'll see what I can do to pry the recipe from
the household cook.

WV_Hillbilly

I make it like my Grandmother taught me. First, make a pot of good, strong coffee, none of that froo-froo manure. Next, you get some water heating for the Grits, and the pan heating for the Cured Ham (cast iron works best). Some folks prefer Salt Cured Ham, and while I generally like it, for making Redeye gravy, I prefer Sugar Cured Ham, as the gravy ends up less salty.

Once the water's heating and the pan's hot, you start cooking a few slices of ham. Enoguh to cover the bottom of the pan, and maybe overlap just a bit. Cook the ham at a medium to medium-high heat, enough to get browned a bit, and sticking some flavor to the pan.

Once you got a bit of browning on the Ham, you pour in enough coffee to pretty much cover the Ham, a bit sticking out is ok, but it should be mostly covered by coffee. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down to Medium, Medium-low. Basically, you want to simmer the coffee down a bit.

By this time, your water should be boiling, so dump in some Grits, and get them cooking. Now the trick to cooking grits is to follow the cooking instructions on the package, then keep cooking them a bit longer. Once they start to look a little dry, dump in some milk. For the least recipe(4 servings by the package) I use about a half cup of milk. Stir that in and let it soak in a bit, and the grits come out creamy and dreamy :)

When you add the milk to the grits, pull the Ham out of the pan, it should be fairly tender by now from the simmering. The coffee/gravy should be simmered down a bit, but will still be very thin. Fromt his point, opinions vary wildly, but I do as my Grandmother taught me, and dump a double spoonful of grits into the gravy and stir it in good. It thickens the gravy up a little, but not terribly much. Course, I grew up with thin redeye, so that's what I like. I've seen it thick, but I still prefer the thin.

At this point, ladle some grits onto a plate, add a decent portion of the now tender ham, and generously ladle the gravy over top of the whole lot.

Sit down and enjoy! :thumbsup:

G

One word of warning, even the Sugar Cured Ham has a good bit of salt in it, and the gravy will have pulled most of that into itself. If you have a low tolerance for salt, this recipe is not for you. :nono: Even if you don't, this might not be for you. Either way, be prepared to drink a goodly amount of water later on in the day to balance out the salt. On the upside, you won't need to add salt to the grits :)

crockett said:
Anybody stick their thumb in their biscuits? A little well for syrup.

Take a big ol cathead biscuit and break it open and cover with sorghum molasses. Now that's good.

No Powder said:
Graycat
I like the cup.

Aye, that's a souvenier(sp?) mug from the USS Constitution, Old Ironsides. Took a tour of the ship when we were visiting family near Boston a few years ago. You definitely didn't want to be below-decks if you were over 6' tall. I was uncomfortable just walking around in there. Imagine what it was like full of crewmen and guns firing, all while tossing around on the waves. ::shudder::

Ken

ALSO REMEMBER THAT COFFEE WAS (STILL IS) EXPENSIVE IN FRONTIER DAYS AS WAS WHITE FLOUR. THE RECIPE FOR -RED EYE GRAVY- CAME ABOUT I WAS TOLD AS AN ECONOMY WAY TO USE THE LAST DREGS OF COFFEE, DON'T PITCH THEM. ALSO MILK GRAVY MADE WITH FLOUR WAS NOT COMMON IN THE FRONTIER - FLOUR WAS A LUXURY. JIM BRIDGER CLAIMED THAT HE HAD NOT EATEN WHITE BREAD OF ANY SORT FOR 13 YEARS. :hmm:
"SAWMILL GRAVY" IS MADE WITH GREASE LEFT FROM FRYING SALT PORK (LOGGING COMPANYS GENERALLY FED THE LOGGERS AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE - HAM OR EVEN BACON WAS NOT COMMON) AND BROWNED CORNMEAL, IF AVAILABLE MILK WAS ADDED (WATER OTHER WISE) ALONG WITH BLACK PEPPER. DON'T LAUGH IT IS GOOD, AND MADE WITH BACON GREASE EVEN BETTER. TRY IT OVER CRUSTY CORNBREAD OR SKILLET CORN CAKES, WHICH IS USUALLY WHAT FRONTIER/LOGGING CAMPS HAD, THE AFOREMENTIONED BISCUIT FLOUR BEING GENERALLY UNCOMMON.

Back