• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

recommendations for cleaning and restoring originals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I see not much blueing left how about doing electrolysis on the parts? It will remove the rust and leave the steel in the white. I recently restored an old Wilton vise that was laying in a neighbors back yard for years. I was shocked how well it worked. I just did rusty rims and hubs on a motorcycle before I powder coated them. But this wasn't 150 year old guns with both a value and a history. There is a gunsmith on U-tube that does a lot of what he calls conservation to keep them from continuing to rust, you might look at his channel. Here is the fellow

wouldn't vinegar be pretty aggressive against the metal ?
Vinegar and othe rust AND BLUING removers shouldn’t come within ten feet of these guns as @Phil Coffins suggested. Kroil and then soapy water, boil and then protect with Eezox or Frog Lube these are the only chemicals you need to apply. Protect what finsh still remains...

I am not an expert but as far as replacement parts aren't the guns worth more in original if broken/unfireable condition than it they have replacement parts. I suppose if the part is totally missing replacing it might be a good idea but my understanding is that most people that collect these things value originality over useability.

My dad was a collector. He had a couple of old Colts... One of the little "pocket dragoons" which was nonfunctional but all original, and a well used, all original but still shootable 1860 Army revolver, in its original holster! He had no qualms about shooting it, although he was meticulous in his cleaning regimen.

He somewhere acquired a couple of "basket case" antiques which he restored to the best of his ability. One of these was an 1816 Harper's Ferry .69 caliber US musket, still in original flintlock. I think these were supposed to be "armory bright," but Dad didn't know that, and after he repaired or replaced all of the damaged parts, he browned all of the exposed metal. He did a good job, too... Nice, even, textured brown... Just not authentic. However, the gun looks good and is shootable.

Some people would not even want the cylinder turned on an original gun. I'm not a collector and have not acquired the "collector mentality." I don't know if an original Colt that suffered extensive corrosion from 20th century water damage and neglect would be worth more if "conserved," to just stop the deterioration, or if it would be worth more if carefully restored with appropriate parts, hopefully to shooting condition. Personally, I would prefer seeing an old Colt made functional again, with appropriate parts, even if those parts are modern made. But, I'm not a collector.

It looks to me as if the OP is proceeding carefully, trying to find the right parts and use the best procedures to restore these old revolvers to what they were intended to be: functional and good-looking shooters. Would they be worth more if simply left alone? Worth more to whom? I can honestly say I don't know. I can tell you that a couple of months ago I missed the opportunity to buy a restored, refurbished, and tuned-up original Remington 1858, with new nipples, and I've regretted it ever since. This functional old revolver was still "worth" less than any of the other originals I saw on the market at the time, because it had been repaired, and the asking price was less than a "defarbed and tastefully aged" reproduction! Seems like kind of a conundrum.

This is an interesting thread. I guess each one of us is touching a different part of the elephant.

Notchy Bob

My dad was a collector. He had a couple of old Colts... One of the little "pocket dragoons" which was nonfunctional but all original, and a well used, all original but still shootable 1860 Army revolver, in its original holster! He had no qualms about shooting it, although he was meticulous in his cleaning regimen.

He somewhere acquired a couple of "basket case" antiques which he restored to the best of his ability. One of these was an 1816 Harper's Ferry .69 caliber US musket, still in original flintlock. I think these were supposed to be "armory bright," but Dad didn't know that, and after he repaired or replaced all of the damaged parts, he browned all of the exposed metal. He did a good job, too... Nice, even, textured brown... Just not authentic. However, the gun looks good and is shootable.

Some people would not even want the cylinder turned on an original gun. I'm not a collector and have not acquired the "collector mentality." I don't know if an original Colt that suffered extensive corrosion from 20th century water damage and neglect would be worth more if "conserved," to just stop the deterioration, or if it would be worth more if carefully restored with appropriate parts, hopefully to shooting condition. Personally, I would prefer seeing an old Colt made functional again, with appropriate parts, even if those parts are modern made. But, I'm not a collector.

It looks to me as if the OP is proceeding carefully, trying to find the right parts and use the best procedures to restore these old revolvers to what they were intended to be: functional and good-looking shooters. Would they be worth more if simply left alone? Worth more to whom? I can honestly say I don't know. I can tell you that a couple of months ago I missed the opportunity to buy a restored, refurbished, and tuned-up original Remington 1858, with new nipples, and I've regretted it ever since. This functional old revolver was still "worth" less than any of the other originals I saw on the market at the time, because it had been repaired, and the asking price was less than a "defarbed and tastefully aged" reproduction! Seems like kind of a conundrum.

This is an interesting thread. I guess each one of us is touching a different part of the elephant.

Notchy Bob
I would have no problem removing rust, replacing parts etc. in an effort to bring an original up to shooting condition. Removing any remaining finish is something I would avoid precisely because it would significantly lower the value of the piece, worse still would be cold bluing or even professional hot blue. Notice the original 1860 on gunbroker, it’s original but refinished and just now hit 1500.00 It’s beautiful but obviously refinished and a shooter with significantly reduced value. (I’m kinda talking myself into bidding!)

Notchy Bob, You hit it on the head with your post. I have spent my life bringing stuff back to life, be it an old car or motorcycle or a military generator. Even my machine tools my lathe 1946 Logan and mill 1953 Benchmaster the preivous owner thought were junk. So it is how you look at it for own personal joy. I personally would get everyone of those guns up and running, but without a full restore.

My 2 cents...If you want to keep the value of these collection up, maybe try to contact a professional Armory
Artisan who deals in antique restoration, They will know how to do a conservative restoration and probably make them again
funtional. I think you got some really unique pieces, from what I see they all are
Mono Serial.. Same Number in all the parts of the Pistols.. it is worth a try...

Last edited:
my 1849 cleaned up really well, such that I may fire it this week...
Colt 1849 Pocket parts.jpg

Stuart Mowbray published the book "301+ Essential Tips and Tricks" for gun collectors, available through his publishing company. It does discuss cleaning rust. I do use 0000 steel wool on very stubborn rust/stains, but very carefully. If grips are really bad, I use tung oil ( no sanding or other abrasive on wood: soap & water and a soft cloth only), but it's hard to find without varnish in it. I have tried using "modern" parts in old Colts, but am not a good enough gunsmith to get them to function well. There are folks out there that do supply some correct parts, especially damaged screws. I usually do an internet search to find them.

Some of those pictures are heartbreaking. First thing hose them down with WD40 to stop any more rust, the metal looks bone dry. I've used #0000 steel wool with oil and a gentle hand for light surface rust without damaging the remaining blue or case color. Just enough to knock the rust down and smooth the metal to the touch.

so far these Colt revolvers from the estate collection have all cleaned up nicely, I got all the parts functioning and will now drive over to my local gunsmith (Gary Barnes/hoof hearted) for his approval before firing them...
Colt revolvers 2.jpg

Now you've cleaned them up as best you can, they still look as dry as dust. Get some Renaissance Wax and give therm a good coating, especially that ultra-sad-looking wood.

Now you've cleaned them up as best you can, they still look as dry as dust. Get some Renaissance Wax and give therm a good coating, especially that ultra-sad-looking wood.

all those old wooden grips have coats and coats of boiled linseed oil, but they are still dry... thank you for the tip! I had not heard of Renaissance Wax before... I may have to buy several jars because there are several dozen antique guns in this estate collection

Latest posts

Back