• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black spots in original Remington New Army Model cylinder chambers from 1864

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NKAK

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy folks.
I discovered black spots in my original New Army Model produced June 1864

Previous owner shot a few 35 grain FFFg BP loads in it with 454 roundballs and said the spots are not to be worried about. So one could say it has been pressure tested with high pressure loads considering its age. The cylinder has tiny amounts of pitting but the revolver is in very good shape and is mechanically perfect with little sign of wear otherwise.

What are these dark spots? Is it black rust that i should be worried about with risk of having turned the steel below brittle? Or is it just superficial? I have many old guns and revolvers and have never seen black corrosion before in cylinders.

It cannot be cleaned with oil and a copper brush neither with rust remover soaking. It is not dirt but a type of corrosion.

Can i just keep firing 25 to 30 grain loads in this beauty without concern?
Thank you all in advance

IMG_20231124_200438.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231124_200650.jpg
    IMG_20231124_200650.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Here are some more pictures of the whole revolver in case anyone is interested in originals 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20231122_115951.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231122_115922.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231116_181419.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 0
Wow! That’s a nice one. May want to retire it and get a tuned reproduction to shoot. These collector items are getting rarer every decade, hate to break something on it. But it’s your gun, shoot it if you wish. I don’t think the black spots are a problem, but I’d load on the light side, it’s not like it’s your everyday carry handgun.

Latest posts

Back