• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for a rifle builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowbarforge

36 Cl.
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have most of the parts except for the stock to build an Early Virginia type squirrel rifle. Had a friend that was going to build, but life happens and he could not.
Larry Zornes lock, Rice 42" round bottom rifling, swamped .32 bbl with breech installed, butt plate, trigger guard, various thimbles and entry pipe, front and rear sights.

I'd like the stock to be a not-very-fancy piece of walnut.

Recommendations?

It’s hard to build an early rifle with a slim barrel. Not sure any 1700s rifles were .32 caliber. Going a little later and using a narrower buttplate would make for an easier build.

Ken Guy is a fella I can recommend but I’d find a builder whose style you like.

Rice bbl is 42" long. Receipt says "SQx42" .32 1;48 L/P. It is nicely profiled! Bought this at the 2015 CLA show.
Zornes lock is a Classic style flintlock according to his web site, bought from RE Davis at the same CLA show.
Not real particular about which school or style it is, just want a nice looking accurate squirrel rifle. Walnut stock, brass hardware. Would love to have it for the fall, but realize it may take a year depending on the makers backlog and schedule.

It’s hard to build an early rifle with a slim barrel. Not sure any 1700s rifles were .32 caliber. Going a little later and using a narrower buttplate would make for an easier build.

Ken Guy is a fella I can recommend but I’d find a builder whose style you like.
***Rich, do you have contact info for Ken?

When I say "Early Virginia" I mean a scaled down version. Yes, as Rich says, A narrow butt-plate and slimmer all around. Minimal patch box (or even none). Again, this is gonna be my favorite rifle in retirement for squirrel hunting. Not worries about particular period correctness. I have some photos of the kind of rifle I am wanting, and can email to any prospective builder.

What is the measurement across the flats on the barrel at the breach?

Me thinks in a 32 cal swamped barrel you may have an A weight, which measures .937" F-T-F. A-weights generally present some issues regarding lock bolster thickness in order to get away from the "puffy cheek" look.

Guys.…. I think the OP is talking about a generic SMR. He said above that he was not concerned about "school or style" but just wanted a good accurate shooter that looks good (that's his view).

Crowbarforge: If you would email me those pictures or at least a full view of the rifle I'll post it/them here.
How do i get your email? Kinda new here,

Latest posts

Back