• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for a rifle builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought about using a plain maple stock:
A long time ago I decided to build a .36 caliber, Boys flintlock rifle and I figured a fancy wood stock wouldn't be fitting since it was for a youngster.
With this in mind, I purchased the lowest grade maple pre-carved stock offered by Pecatonica River.

It and it came out fine except, after putting well over 140 hours into building it the first thing I decided was, never again would I use a rather plain piece of maple for a rifle stock. Had I spent a little more money for a better grade of curly maple the gun would look a lot better than it does.

BOYS.jpg

Jackie brown has done several nice firearms for me. One fowler, two trade guns and am having him restock a Southern Mountain Rifle for me in much of the same style as your above thread of a Kibler like/petonica. I've always had good dealings with him.

You need a darker stain on the plainer grades of wood. And yes, a fancier rifle needs fancier wood.
Sometimes the wood is so hard that the stain just want penitrate the wood enough to give a good color. That's when I use Acufortus (spelling wrong) acid and heat. After that I use baking soda and water mix to kill the acid. when it dries then stain. It usally darkens up pretty good. you have to watch though it can get too dark.

Back