• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recognize this BP pistol derringer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD Tractor

32 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize this pistol .. ?
I am wondering if it is REAL or Fake - perhaps a paper weight or ornament.
I appears real - has a real percussion breach connect and it is solid steel iron or brass ..
I can't find it online .. trying to find out if it is real ...
No name - writing - or numbers on it that I can tell ...
Thanks - Gary
attachment - a pic of the pistol attached

Attachments

• bppistol.jpg
    bppistol.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Photo's too dark to see the whole pistol. From what I can see, it's a common type of what some might call a "boot pistol". They were the "Owlheads" (cheap revolver with an owlhead on the grip) of the time. One could amass an interesting collection of them as many variations exist. Some had hidden, folding triggers, others were screw-barrel jobs, some flintlock, etc. etc.

Thanks for posting. Had one for decades. Fun to shoot. Never hit the same place twice.

Photo's too dark to see the whole pistol. From what I can see, it's a common type of what some might call a "boot pistol". They were the "Owlheads" (cheap revolver with an owlhead on the grip) of the time. One could amass an interesting collection of them as many variations exist. Some had hidden, folding triggers, others were screw-barrel jobs, some flintlock, etc. etc.

Thanks for posting. Had one for decades. Fun to shoot. Never hit the same place twice.
Thanks much !! So it is real !!! ya-hoo! I have a little 22 lr and 22 mag that is about the same size and it does NOT hit the same place twice either .. ha !! This BP looks about like a 30 cal - would that be close you think? again thx !! Gary

Thanks much !! So it is real !!! ya-hoo! I have a little 22 lr and 22 mag that is about the same size and it does NOT hit the same place twice either .. ha !! This BP looks about like a 30 cal - would that be close you think? again thx !! Gary
The photo's honestly not sufficient to see important details, but from what I see, it looks real- like tens of thousands made in the 19th century. It may also still be loaded. Even today, people are discovering muzzle loaders that've been sitting around for many deades still contain a lethal charge.

Just as a reminder, try to determine it is not loaded by putting a rod down the bore. I could not see in the picture any seam that would indicate where a breech plug began to show and where the bore ended. Just try to measure estimate where the nipple channel may end in the barrel and measure your rod accordingly. These little guns can be a lot of fun to shoot. Please keep us posted on what you do. Have fun and be safe.

Photo's too dark to see the whole pistol. From what I can see, it's a common type of what some might call a "boot pistol". They were the "Owlheads" (cheap revolver with an owlhead on the grip) of the time. One could amass aSome had hidden, folding triggers, others were screw-barrel jobs, some flintlock, etc. etc.

I have one…named it Ol’ lightening 😁

Latest posts

Back