• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD REDUCED! Original French Dueling Pistol .53 Smoothbore, Shootable! Open to offers!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have for sale an interesting French dueling pistol. The pistol is stocked in burl walnut and has a fancy pattern damascus barrel with St. Etine proofs. The number 2 is inlaid in gold on the breech of the pistol and the name AURY is inlaid in gold on the lockplate. The pistol is in remarably good shape and could be shot as is. The stock has a couple of climate cracks that have been repaired and one that is on the right side wedge slot has a sliver of wood missing at the top but does not interfere with stability. Three interesting design features. The rear sight is a two leaf sight with the second leaf being much taller. The butt cap has a hinged door and a hole within likely for the addition of balance weights is my guess the last is the set trigger of which the adjustment screw is in the front of the trigger and it's head is over an incline plane in the trigger plate so that screwing it in increases engagement and out decreases engagement it is currently at it's most distant disabling the set function. The .53 caliber smoothbore barrel has some small spots of corrosion but is in exceptional shape and fully shootable. The nipple is in good shape and the lock is strong and crisp.
As to provonance: I initially thought that the name on the lockplate AURY was the gunsmith but could find no record of a French gunsmith of that name. When I took the barrel out I noted, stamped into the barrel channel, the name A CHOSSON. I guessed the name on the lockplate was the name of the owner and in the barrel channel the name of the maker. Here is what Googles AI Bard revealed.
Yes, the name Aury does appear among 19th century French aristocrats. Here are a few examples:

Louis Marie Charles Aury de La Roche-Aimon (1794-1877) was a French aristocrat and military officer. He was the son of Louis Marie Aury, Marquis de La Roche-Aimon, and Marie Louise de La Rochefoucauld. He served in the French army during the Napoleonic Wars, and was decorated with the Legion of Honor. After the war, he retired to his estate in Brittany.
Louise Marie Aurélie d'Aury (1802-1876) was a French aristocrat and writer. She was the daughter of Louis Marie Charles Aury de La Roche-Aimon and Marie Louise de La Rochefoucauld. She wrote several novels and memoirs, including Souvenirs d'une aristocrate (1873), which gives a firsthand account of life in French aristocracy during the 19th century.
Gaston Marie Aury (1825-1900) was a French aristocrat and politician. He was the son of Charles Marie Aury, Comte de La Roche-Aimon, and Marie Thérèse de Saint-Pol. He served in the French Chamber of Deputies from 1863 to 1870. He was a conservative politician, and opposed the French Revolution of 1848.
In addition to these examples, there were also a number of other French aristocrats with the name Aury in the 19th century. The name Aury is a relatively rare name, but it was not unheard of among French aristocracy during this time period.
1830 - 1860
A later A. Chosson was active in the mid-19th century and is best known for his work on percussion firearms. He was particularly known for his percussion pistols, which were popular among both civilians and military personnel. A. Chosson also produced a number of guns for export.
Dueling was outlawed in France in 1626 by King Louis XIII. However, the practice continued to be prevalent for centuries, despite repeated attempts by the government to suppress it. The last duel in France took place in 1967.
Any way it is an interesting piece of history that you could shoot if you wished. I am asking $400 shipped but am open to reasonable offers.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG