• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reccomendations for a builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had several flintlock longrifles built and there are many good builders in my area for those. I am looking to have a percussion Hawken rifle built, but there are not many builders in my area that want to do a Hawken. Can any of you recommend someone to build an authentic Hawken?
Thank You

If you are looking to have one built then I would suggest you check out Brant Selb.

He is one of the few that still build Hawken's. His work is good and his prices are fair.

If money is no object I can give you a couple other names.

You can check out his website here (WB Selb)

Thank You

I actually just contacted him and just was reading his email reply this morning. I'm going to give him a call this week and talk to him. Everything that I have read about him looks good so far. Every other rifle that I have had built, I personally knew the builder. This will be my first time having one built from someone that I have not met. Just doing my due diligence.
Thanks
John

You may also want to check out Taylor Sapergia. He makes and outstanding Hawken and his work is second to none. I have one that is 54 and 62 Cal switch barrel, LH Flintlock and his work is outstanding. He is also a top notch fellow to deal with.

You can find many more examples of his works on American Long Rifles Forum under Contemporary Long rifles collecting.

7dxG5kf.jpg

Very nice Dean. I know Taylor has a well deserved reputation. I can recommend Mike Brooks but admittedly I don't know when the last Hawken was that he built. He too has a great reputation. Greg

Possibly a another route to take would be to look at authentically designed Hawken "kits" from Don Stith, ask him who he would recommend to build it, contact this builder and then buy it. Don has J&S and S Hawkens which are very authentic copies of the "real thing". These "kits" are not sand, finish and assemble kits, but do require the services of a knowledgeable builder.

Below is a LHed S. Hawken from Don which I built for a customert several years ago....I no longer take orders.....Fred

flehto said:
Possibly a another route to take would be to look at authentically designed Hawken "kits" from Don Stith, ask him who he would recommend to build it, contact this builder and then buy it. Don has J&S and S Hawkens which are very authentic copies of the "real thing". These "kits" are not sand, finish and assemble kits, but do require the services of a knowledgeable builder.

Below is a LHed S. Hawken from Don which I built for a customert several years ago....I no longer take orders.....Fred

Fred

I love seeing your work. It is really to bad you don't take orders any more. Your work is TOP NOTCH!!!

Thanks for the kind words....at 83 it would still be possible to build MLers but the macular degeneration of both eyes is making it very difficult to even complete my present last build. It'll get it done and hopefully it won't take "forever".

Don Stith certainly has very authentic Hawken "kits" but they do require a skilled hand to complete. The pictured Hawken was my first and I did call Don for his advice and he sent pics of originals to help me out w/ the area behind the breech. The blends were a little complicated and the pics enabled me to be authentic.......Fred

Thanks for the information. I have reached out to Brant Selb, Don Sith, and John Bergman. I was also considering Bob Browner, but I just got his contact information today. So far, the ones that I have talked to look good. This will be the first rifle that I had built where I don't personally know the builder. Thanks again.
John

I can vouch for Bob Browner. He shares a lot of information with Don Stith. I know you won't go wrong with either of them. I have seen several of Bob's rifles and they are true works of art.

Back