• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebore Renegade 54 to ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty41

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Have an old .54 barrel 1" that I am wondering if it can be rebored to a .62? Know who to get to do the job, just don't want to bother them until I have more info. Asking if anyone here knows if that is doable or has done it? I have the .56SB T/C barrel for my Renegade, but would also like a larger gauge SB. any thoughts or comments would be welcomed. Have a rusted .54 to work with.
Thanks

Thanks for Hoyts info, just did not want to bother him until I knew for sure to go ahead with it. Yes, squirrel hunting would be the main use. Probably should forget about it and use the .56SB/28ga, but thought a 20 would do a little better.

A .56 or .58 is plenty for squirrel.
My .45 does well too.

Why not just get it done enough and you have a backup. A .60 won't do any better in my experience!

B.

lefty41,
My two cents, measure all the screw holes and figger the bore you can end up with.
My three cents, leave enough wall for rifling in case it doesn't work out for you as a smoothie.

I had a spare 50 cal. barrel, the original, for my Renegade after replacing it with a Green Mountain drop in. Had Ed Rayl bore it out to true 62 SB. Haven't tried it with shot yet but it has been surprisingly accurate with patched round ball out to fifty yards. It certainly lightens up that heavy 1" barrel and makes it a bit livelier to maneuver.

Jeff

send it to bobby hoyt. tell him what you will be using it for. can go either smoothbore or rifle. he has school men on what can be done. he did 4 barrels for me in the past.

if you talk to Mr. Hoyt & decide to send him yer barrel, be sure to get his correct address. he's still in Fairfield PA and the phone number & zip code are the same but the "700 Fairfield Station Road" is now somethin' else & I can't find the piece of paper I wrote it down on.

the new address has been posted here so ya may be able to do a search & find it.

Thanks for all the comments, info, and suggestions. Certain of where to go from here, thinking .62SB, by the way Bubba50 it is the barrel I bought from you to cabbage the lefthand breech plug so Rice Barrel could fit it to a .40 match grade barrel. that worked out well, but of course I need a breech plug now for the rebore project. TOW has a new flint breech plug with the T/C thread size and then fit with a drum or make this one a flintlock. Already have an L&R Manton lock. Hope I can fit it to the renegade stock.

lefty41 said:
Have an old .54 barrel 1" that I am wondering if it can be rebored to a .62? Know who to get to do the job, just don't want to bother them until I have more info. Asking if anyone here knows if that is doable or has done it? I have the .56SB T/C barrel for my Renegade, but would also like a larger gauge SB. any thoughts or comments would be welcomed. Have a rusted .54 to work with.
Thanks

This is his correct address - I just sent him two barrels a month ago and it was delivered and the barrels were rebored and returned all within 1 months time. I suggest that you write him a letter and tell him what you want done that way there will be no mistakes made on either end.
Robert Hoyt
Barrel repair
Freischutz Shop,
2379 Mt. Hope Road., Fairfield, Pa. 17320.
phone # 717-642-6696

BullRunBear said:
It certainly lightens up that heavy 1" barrel and makes it a bit livelier to maneuver.

Jeff

Did it handle anything like a shotgun, or was it still more like a rifle? Now that I have a flintlock in .50 I've thought about having this done to my caplock (a traditions Springfield Hawken in .50), but worry that it won't be well suited to it's new purpose (small game, squirrel/rabbit with shot).

-GB

it'll work fine for the squirrels, rabbits not so much. that is unless you routinely use a rifle for rabbit huntin'.

Well I have just about talked myself out of the rebore and use the .56SB/28ga barrel for this season. See how it handles, so far my experience with it is a very good PRB shooter. Have patterned at 20yds with shot but have not hunted with it. Then try for a regular type smoothbore with a stock that is more shotgun than rifle.

Back