• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear Sighted Fowler First Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmringer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up my 44" rear sighted fowler on Friday and had a chance to put some lead through it Sunday. I tried a couple of shot loads shooting trap. I hit one of three which isn't bad considering the learning curve and the high winds. We fired a good bit of .600 PRB. At 25 yards we were consistently hitting clay birds stuck on a board off hand standing. At 75 yards firing from a sitting position we hit an inch high for two shots and hit three in clay birds in a row after that. Out of curiosity I loaded a dry bare ball and fired at 75 yards. 1" low of the bird dead center. Needless to say I am beyond impressed and with a little more time with the piece will have no hesitations using it on deer and hogs at 75 yards. I am curious to see the patterns at 100 yards! The Davis lock really impressed me. No misfires and crisp fast ignitions every time even with the wind howling.

Pictures to follow.

Excellent! Could you tell me a little about your powder charge and load? I have smooth rifle very similar to yours that I have yet to shoot...

At 75 yards firing from a sitting position we hit an inch high for two shots and hit three in clay birds in a row after that. Out of curiosity I loaded a dry bare ball and fired at 75 yards. 1" low of the bird dead center.

Very impressive. Should shut up the smoothie naysayers.

Excellent!

I have a .62 smoothie in the works - rather a lash- up from a .54 barrel I had bored out to 20 gauge smooth by Mr. Hoyt, in a lovely stock which I picked up for a great bargain ... still tinkering to get it together, but now I'm better motivated. (I can't reasonably anticipate your level of accuracy - this is going to be fired by a pretty poor marksman - me - and it's a T/C Renegade barrel, so I don't get the nice long sight radius)

either way - it'll be pretty cool once it's done.

Make good smoke!

I am also working on a rear sight for smoothbore, age being my reason :td: I see by your profile you are still a pup,but it's YOUR smoothbore,don't listen to negative talk,if you want it use it :wink:

Sorry for the delayed response, been getting settled at the new job in NC. I was firing 75 grains of 3f under a .600 RB patched with 0.012 linen lubed at the muzzle with mixture of beeswax and mink oil that I put together. I had taken some coarse grit paper to the RBs before heading out.

As to the rear sight, I know many view it as non-traditional but the fact of the matter is I got this to use for hunting everything that I go after. The rear sight helps A LOT. I would have to imagine that a lot of frontiersman carrying a do all smoothie would have had one added or benefited from one on the frontier. I am heading out again tomorrow to shoot. I just opened a photo bucket account and will upload pictures tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back