• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Really DUMB question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undead246

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Alright, well if you have read my introduction to this site you would know I'm new to muzzleloading, so I have a pretty ignorant question. What is the portable black powder container called where you fill it with black powder and it has a funnel built in and such. I have a loader, but I've been using a funnel and the 1lb bottle. Buying one of those things would be very helpful, I saw it in a video for the first time today!

Boy what dumb question! Actually there are no dumb questions in this sport and not asking questions because you think they are dumb can be dangerous.

What I think you are talking about is a powder flask. Are you referring to a metal container with a thumb-operated lever on top and a powder measure which screws into the top of the "bottle?" If so that is a flask. They are handy and not expensive. But, you should never pour powder from a flask or horn or any other large powder container directly into the bore of your rifle. If there is a spark still alive in the barrel from a previous round it could ignite your powder train and blow up the flask or other container and the hand in which you are holding it. Some guys may tell you that is not really a problem but all clubs and organizations with which I am familiar prohibit loading directly from a flask.

What I suggest you do, to supplement the information you are getting through the Forum, as good as it is, is buy a guide to black powder shooting. Just Google it and you should come up with a lot of sources for this type of information. If any of it confuses you, then be sure to get clarification either from a local shooter or come back here. I am not trying to run you away from the Forums here but it is a good idea to get as much instructional material as you can find then read it thoroughly. Doing that will answer a lot of your basic questions and give you a foundation to begin on. The guys and gals on this forum will help you fine tune your black powder experience. You do not want to learn to load and shoot a muzzle loader through trial and error!

Are you talking about one of these spouts?
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/70/1

If so, I would recommend buying a powder flask so the container doesn't have to hold a whole pound of powder.

The fancy ones aren't very strong because like the originals they were made from very thin material. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/69/1

The cylindrical brass ones are pretty stout though. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/69/2/FLASK-PS

Regardless of what you end up with, never pour the powder directly from the can or flask into the barrel of your gun.

Always use a separate powder measure.
Some of the nice adjustable ones have their own funnel built into them.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/85/1/MAS-200

Last edited by a moderator:
Powder Flask is exactly what I was looking for! Also I do not intend to load directly from the flask because I've got my aim down perfect at 50 yards with 65 grains of powder. I don't want to add unnecessary variables when hunting. I appreciate the response, and I've lived my whole life going by trial and answer approaches, but I guess that's not the best idea when it comes to handling a potential explosive in my hands.

Always use a separate powder measure.
Some of the nice adjustable ones have their own funnel built into them.
I have one of those, but out in the wood I didn't have plans on pulling out my container of powder and a funnel and attempting to load out in the woods, I do intend to keep loading into it, but through a lighter flask that I don't need to worry about spilling the entire container in the woods!

You don't want to load directly from the flask anyway, it's a safety concern. It is rare but a left over burning ember could set of the powder and no you have a bomb in your hand. It has happened. Load into a separate receptacle like a powder measure and then into your gun.

Grandpa was a teacher - foundry, woodworking, math, geometry, had night business classes for local businessmen, and even taught a course on building split bamboo flyrods.

It was his contention that there is no such thing as a stupid question ... only stupid people.

Fortunately, Nobody around here fits that description.

I prefer a flask over a powder horn. I use one for both range work and field use. For me, it's just handy, and fits snugly in my back pocket.

I've tried using a powder horn, but spent too much time getting un-snagged from branches and such. I guess if you're accustomed to carrying one it's not a problem.

The only problem I ever had with the flask is when I bought a pound of 777. It wouldn't flow through the spout very well. I don't foresee myself ever using a substitute powder again, so it's no longer a concern of mine. Just something to keep in mind if you plan on using pyrodex or the like. Bill

A lot of BP hunters take premeasured charges with them. These are usually made up in small plastic containers. When you are ready to load just uncap and pour, following with your projectile. I personally rarely hunt with BP any more but when I did I carried a pouch and horn. I am a traditionalist but not everyone feels the need to do it that way. Premeasured charges solve the problem of whether to carry a flask or horn, i.e. you do not have to carry either. Don't forget to find a good book or two with basic instructions on loading and shooting and read it.

I was going to suggest the same thing. It is the only way we are allowed to load a rifle/pistol at the range. I'm not a hunter, but I assume that when hunting you don't need to carry a lot of powder/shot with you, as you won't be firing anywhere near as much as at the range, so a few plastic phials is all you'll need.

Simple and safe.

Sometimes in the course of answers we can misunderstand, I'll start by trying to make sure.

You mentioned that a flask was just what you were looking for, and you also said that you have an adjustable measure. Am I right so far?

I have used a small flask to load by using pouring from the flask into the measure. A small pour spout for your flask will simplify this. Mine had a 30 gr spout: its end was smaller than the opening of the measure so no funnel was needed.

Another handy choice is a small "day" horn. I have a small flat horn that carries in my hip pocket. Its small spout pours easily into a measure without a funnel. My day horn carries enough powder for 15+ charges, so it's plenty large for hunting and still be small and handy.

For practicing off a bench I have a cap for a powder can that has a spout for pouring into the measure. These can easily be made with a with a spare powder cap and a cartridge case. Again no funnel.

All of these suggestions have small enough ends to pour easily into a measure. If you want to simplify the measure, one can be made from many materials. I make a simple one by pinching the end of copper tubing and cutting the tube off at the powder level I want. I drill a hole in the flattened part to attach a cord.

The key here is what others have said: you can carry powder in many ways, but pour from it into a measure and not the barrel. If I'm headed to the squirrel woods here in a few weeks, I could grab my rifle, day horn (flask), measure, loading block, and I'm out the door. My rifle is the only thing that doesn't fit in my pocket. I could carry more, but I'm guessing that you're trying to un-complicate things.

Regards,
Pletch

FYI”¦ speaking only for myself, I like the simplicity of carrying a few pre-measured charges / loads for hunting as alternatives to carrying to a horn or flask. And if you’re not a 100% purist, here are some practical examples of Pocket Reloads I’ve experimented with over the years”¦first photo vials being what I’ve settled on, for powder & shot, or along with a ball board for PRBs.

5ML10MLVialscroppedresized.jpg

071507PaperShotReloads-Process.jpg

11120662calPocketReloader.jpg

12271062calPocketReloads.jpg

2compartmentpocketreloaders.jpg

When in the woods a very small flask with the right sized measure spout is best for me. Long ago had the lever actuated top from a pocket revolver flask set into a piece of the top end of a toilet overflow tube that worked quite well. The spout fit the percussion revolver and made it easy to fill the carved horn measure dangling off the bag strap. Nowadays I suppose people may freak out over the notion of loading a fired revolver from the flask. :haha:

Undead246 said:
Whats the folded blue paper for?
I made them to carry pre-measured charges of powder and/or birdshot.
Tear it off and dump in the contents...avoids the possibility of losing a cap to a tube if trying to reload quickly on a Dove field, etc.
Next time I make some I'll use dark colors that blend in with the ground (black for black powder, and dark green or brown for shot) and if some should happen to end up being left behind in the weeds, they'll deteriorate pretty quickly.

That's a good idea, I might use things like empty chapsticks, or sample shampoo bottles or something inexpensive because my craftsmanship with paper isn't the best.

I'll bet a craft store would have small tubes like those.

Now, will those TOTW spouts for Goex cans fit the new plastic bottles Goex has switched to?

I always load to a measure and from there to the gun. Have a forty year old adjustable measure with a sliding bottom and attached, hinged funnel. Rod in the bottom is marked in increments and has a knurled button at the tip which is actually a thin wire vent pick. They probably still make these.

Undead246 said:
That's a good idea, I might use things like empty chapsticks, or sample shampoo bottles or something inexpensive because my craftsmanship with paper isn't the best.
I just roll a piece of paper around a length of dowel with a 1/2" to 3/4" sticking out past one end.
Then fold that end's excess in like you would a coin wrapper.
Slide off the dowel.
Fill with your premeasured charge.
Flatten out the excess paper on the long end and fold it around it self a few times...done.

Some interesting ideas. Of course, if you use the plastic phial idea, if you get the right size you could carry them in a shotgun cartridge belt over your shoulder.

Think how cool that would look :wink: .

Back