• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RE Davis Deerslayer and GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The Deerslayer was suggested multiple times in a thread I started when I was buying a Lyman GPR flintlock. After shooting it some, I've decided the creep in the factory trigger bugs me enough to justify a change. It just seems to take forever to break the shot, and I'm pretty sure its beginning to teach me bad habits.

So, for those of you that have installed a Deerslayer in your GPR, does it drop in or does it require a some work?

I've put it in all four of my own GPR's now, two that belong to friends, and an old Investarms Hawken 58 cal. In all but one of the GPR's it was a straight drop-in. The one that didn't drop in required that I remove a few mere molecules of the right forward side of the trigger plate inlet.

The Investarms was a good fit, but settled too deeply at the front of the trigger plate because the inlet was too deep. Heck, even the factory plate dropped below the surface of the stock. I put a small flathead brass screw up there and adjusted it's depth so the trigger plate rested on its head when flushed up with the stock. It worked perfectly then.

You'll be amazed by two things in that trigger. The pull when set is much smoother and cleaner than the stock Lyman trigger. Better yet, when pulling the front trigger without setting the rear trigger you get a nice, clean trigger pull of somewhere around 3-4#. It's so good that I almost never set the rear triggers unless I'm shooting from a rest. It's a real boon in situations where a shot opportunity comes on too quick to allow setting the trigger. And that happens lots in our brushy country. I shot one deer last year at about 20' on the dead run. In another few feet it would have been out of sight.

The Davis trigger dropped right in my percussion GPR. I really like it. :thumbsup:

It hasn't just dropped in in any rifle I've installed it in. :(
But it isn't hard to do. Besides the obvious improvement in the pull characteristics, the Davis itself is a better feeling design. The design and curvature is so much better. :grin:
I use a drill press with a 3/8th Forstner drill bit. The exact same way I install the L&R lock. :thumbsup:

Just ordered one and should be getting it next week. Praying it comes perfectly fit as-is.

Thanks for all the help.

ebiggs said:
It hasn't just dropped in in any rifle I've installed it in. :(
But it isn't hard to do. Besides the obvious improvement in the pull characteristics, the Davis itself is a better feeling design. The design and curvature is so much better. :grin:
I use a drill press with a 3/8th Forstner drill bit. The exact same way I install the L&R lock. :thumbsup:
I have them on two of my T/C flinters and I really like em'. Not a big deal to install, but I used a 5/16" carbide endmill when I did it. I think it took me longer to take the trigger guard off and the factory double-set trigger off than it did to install the Davis..BPS

Back