• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ratio of ballistol to water for patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mto7464

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looked thru a bunch of post on this and got anywhere from 6 to 1 and 1 to 6 for the ratio.
What ratio works best for you?

It's a variable that is determined by the fabric thickness, powder and charge and the individuals technique.

But it's 1 oil and 5-6-7-8 water that's the preferred mix,, for experimentation.
Do a little looking for Dutch Schultz and links to his system.
The best $20 you'll ever spend.

I've used a mixture of 1 Ballistol to 4 water and it worked out great.
Saved money by reading these post and trying them out.

I've read it best to use Ballistol in the can vs the aerosol. Is there a difference?

I've also read a couple of people like straight Ballistol.

The liquid is a little easier to measure,, other wise the only other difference is the aerosol is under pressure in the can.

Folks that use it straight when it's applied to patch,, are not winning any matches nor are they much concerned with tight group accuracy.

Is Ballistol far from a good lubricant?

I've only use grape seed oil, and have done much better than many that I read about, especially considering I need glasses.

It's basically a refined mineral oil, with some alcohol and a couple of other minor bits added.

So I suppose that it's not that much different from using a proper water-soluble cutting oil as a patch lube.

Geo T said:
I second "go with Dutch". Geo. T.

Dutch's system is good BUT I have also set fire to a woods walk shoot using his method :shocked2: - and I did not do any better than my beeswax/lard/olive oil mix. I guess it depends on where and how/what you shoot :hmm: .

I went from T/C BoreButter to beeswax and olive oil and my groups shrank in half. I didnt think lubes made that much difference but I proved myself wrong. Experiment with different lubes to see what works best for you. Mike

You've got to experiment with different lubes to see what works best for you & your stick.
As Mike said, it's a must. All of them are different.

Latest posts

Back