• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range time with the TVM/additional questions/Vent liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's gorgeous. I almost went with a Virginia rifle but in the end went with a .50 cal Lancaster/Isaac Haines with a 38" swamped Rice bbl and deluxe Siler. (Pics in the photo section "acquired an Isaac Haines). It was a swampy day out today and I only had one flash in the pan priming with 2F in about 50 shots. (I didn't pick the vent.) The premium parts make a difference.

You certainly did well with the Virginia! I hope it gets to driving tacks for you soon. The first few range trips with any new gun for me are never super accurate, more familiarization.

Yes, Rice definitely stands by their product. They told me to keep him posted as I experiment. I'm really impressed with their customer service.

I saw your Lancaster photos, very nice. I like the fancy wood patch box.

After it has been shot with good, snug loads, say...100 or so it will shoot in just fine. Mine did and would do 1" at 50yds.

Some people leave the vent liner in and some take it out for cleaning. If it has a screwdriver slot I take it out -- I know, I know -- some people will be throwing tomatoes my way but that's OK with me -- it's my rifle and I'll do as I wish with it :grin: . Look at it this way - do you leave the nipple in your percussion rifle or revolver when you clean them or remove the nipples? What's the difference between a percussion nipple and a vent liner :hmm: - one is flush to the barrel and the other sticks up a bit ? If you don't know how to screw it in or out then maybe you should not be using the equipment :idunno: - just saying . The final decision is yours - it's your gun :v. This is MY opinion on the subject - I'm not looking for comments for or against from anyone - just my 2 cents worth :surrender: .

That would be great to get 1 inch at 50, that is what I will hope for!

I'm going to take it out tomorrow and do some experimenting. I've been using 3f for the main charge, but think I'll try 2f as well. I also bought some thicker ticking to try and will run some heavier loads through.

I'll admit to occasionally removing the vent liner from certain of my rifles from time to time. However I rarely do this. There is certainly nothing wrong with removing the liner; it's just too easy to booger the screwdriver slot. Simply my habit.

you said your screw on flusher doesn't work. Mind didn't either until I got my faucet washers out of my pluming kit. Had to do a little mod. on one but due to it being bigger than the one that came with the flusher it works fine now. Covers the whole touch hole screw so the slot is covered. Never got it to work until I got the larger washer on it. good luck.

I have to remove the lock, and file/grind some off the "hook" that holds the business end on to the flash hole. It is about 1/4 inch too long to allow the gasket to fit flat. I use white lightning liners, so there is no screwdriver slot to leak.

The photo is not of a Rice barrel. I have been building almost exclusively with Rice barrels and can assure you that they do not look like that. On the other hand, I have a friend with a TVM rife and its barrel looks jut like that. It will also shoot one hole groups at 40 yards.

Back