• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Vent liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a big deal, you will be doing what should have been done when it was built. it only needs to be as long as the thickness of the barrel wall. Just take it out and use a file or a bench grinder and take it slow down to fit. Don't try to do it all in 1 pass, do a little and then check it, then repeat if necessary. Might take a little longer but better to spend a little more time so you don't screw it up.

I have a smoothbore that had the same issue, I already had the barrel out to clean and grease the under side of it when I discovered that the vent liner was protruding into the bore, I went ahead and took breach plug out, got my dremel out and about 10 seconds later was rebreaching it and reinstalling the barrel. This might not be the right fix for your situation..But not sure worked for me.

So just cause I'm thinking about it right now..... I've got a .32 cal pedersoli Kentucky I built and the vent liner protrudes into the breech. So I have to remove it to clean the gun. Is this normal? Would I be in the wrong to find a way to blue the protruding part and then file or cut it down? Lathe is out of commission at the moment. I don't think I could chuck it in the 3 jaw and we don't have a collet head at home. I don't really like taking it out every time I shoot it.

I love it when Google finds the exact question I was going to ask myself and this forum comes up right at the top.

And it looks something like this:
IMG_2003.JPG

And yes, I did just get a bore scope today 😁

I love it when Google finds the exact question I was going to ask myself and this forum comes up right at the top.

View attachment 226710

Yeah, that's a bad deal. It does demonstrate why I like to index them and contour the inside to a flush fit with the orbit of the bore so there are no corners or protrusions for fouling to catch on.,
Also any funneling should be done from the outside to vector pan flash inward rather than chamber pressure outward. For this reason I have never cared for White Lighting liners.

View attachment 226710

I’m going to address a similar issue tomorrow. When I was building my trade gun I used my borescope to check my progress as I filed down the vent liner. I got it flush, and checked it with my cleaning rod, jag, and patch. All was good. But evidently when I cranked down on for the final tightening I got an extra portion of thread protruding. Didn’t realize it until cleaning after the shooting session. The jag and patch will pass, but you can definitely feel the contact. So I’ll find one of small curved files, duct tape it to my range rod and try to knock that last edge off.

I’m going to address a similar issue tomorrow. When I was building my trade gun I used my borescope to check my progress as I filed down the vent liner. I got it flush, and checked it with my cleaning rod, jag, and patch. All was good. But evidently when I cranked down on for the final tightening I got an extra portion of thread protruding. Didn’t realize it until cleaning after the shooting session. The jag and patch will pass, but you can definitely feel the contact. So I’ll find one of small curved files, duct tape it to my range rod and try to knock that last edge off.
I'd just pull the breech plug and with drum sander on a Dremel tool take her down flush with the bore orbit. I'm sure your going to put some dings in your smooth bore with a file taped to a rod and lowered down to file the vent liner flush.
Your file idea would probably work safely if you put a .002 band of shimstock on the bottom and top of the file to keep the teeth clear of the bore while taking down the vent interior. It would only be a .002 protrusion in that case.

Last edited:
I'd just pull the breech plug and with drum sander on a Dremel tool take her down flush with the bore orbit. I'm sure your going to put some dings in your smooth bore with a file taped to a rod and lowered down to file the vent liner flush.
Your file idea would probably work safely if you put a .002 band of shimstock on the bottom and top of the file to keep the teeth clear of the bore while taking down the vent interior. It would only be a .002 protrusion in that case.
I’ll have only a small area of file exposed at the bottom, the rest will be covered.

Well my file method did not work. Even tried wrapping adhesive 220 sandpaper around a smaller jag. Didn’t want to get too aggressive with either to avoid scarring the bore. I may have made a very slight improvement but it wasn’t a big problem to begin with. A tight jag and patch passes by with a little resistance and doesn’t tear the patch so I’ll live with it.

Well my file method did not work. Even tried wrapping adhesive 220 sandpaper around a smaller jag. Didn’t want to get too aggressive with either to avoid scarring the bore. I may have made a very slight improvement but it wasn’t a big problem to begin with. A tight jag and patch passes by with a little resistance and doesn’t tear the patch so I’ll live with it.
Will the breech plug come out with relative ease ?

I have a smoothbore that had the same issue, I already had the barrel out to clean and grease the under side of it when I discovered that the vent liner was protruding into the bore, I went ahead and took breach plug out, got my dremel out and about 10 seconds later was rebreaching it and reinstalling the barrel. This might not be the right fix for your situation..But not sure worked for me.
What he said

I have two flintlock long guns at present. One is a pedersoli bess with no liner the other a 45 cal rifle with a Rice swamped barrel with a vent liner. What is the purpose of a vent liner. None of my three previous long guns had vent liners and I never saw the need for one. Dont know if my rice barrel vent protrudes inside the barrel or not as I don't have a bore camera. Just curious
I think the liner is there to protect the barrel, so the hole doesn't get way too big.

So just cause I'm thinking about it right now..... I've got a .32 cal pedersoli Kentucky I built and the vent liner protrudes into the breech. So I have to remove it to clean the gun. Is this normal? Would I be in the wrong to find a way to blue the protruding part and then file or cut it down? Lathe is out of commission at the moment. I don't think I could chuck it in the 3 jaw and we don't have a collet head at home. I don't really like taking it out every time I shoot it.
File it flat on the outside , unbreech it and use a moto / dremel tool to grind it flush on the inside ....done

Last edited:
I pull the plug. I then make a brass sheet stock tube that fits the bore. I wrap the brass around whatever transfer punch shank works out. I then put a liner sized hole in the tube on the slit side. I then slip the brass tube into the bore and make the liner poke through the hole in the brass tube. I then use a dremil with an abrasive ball to remove the protruding liner.

It does not really matter but I do not like mauling the bore with the dremil. So I make the protective liner thing.

Harbor freight sells diamond impregnated grinding tips. They are excellent for this job.

I do not remove liners for cleaning. I like the idea that the liner follows the contour of the bore.

Last edited:
Back