• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Shooting Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey man could I have my box back? Just kidding. That is the nicest one I have seen. I bet if you took that to a competition shoot guys would beat you up and take it. lol

There's a fellow that goes by Spider over on another forum who makes real nice range boxes. From pine to Osage Orange, on type is a flat top and the other is a slant front. Both can store up to two, 1 pound containers of powder too.
I've got four of them, which is probably too many but life is short.

I though I had a picture of my boxes but I can't find them right now. I'll do some more searching and give you the builder's info via PM if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• UOzw6Hu.jpg
    UOzw6Hu.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 42
I built this clam shell design out of walnut and 1/8" birch ply. It works quite well for my use. I have different base pieces for different pistols that I use. The pistol shown here I built for competition. It easily changes from flint to percussion.
I think for any design you want to build it is necessary to decide just what you think is essential for a day of shooting. Pile all of those items on a table in front of you and it will give you a good idea of the size box you want to build.
P1080793.JPGP1080796.JPG

I built this clam shell design out of walnut and 1/8" birch ply. It works quite well for my use. I have different base pieces for different pistols that I use. The pistol shown here I built for competition. It easily changes from flint to percussion.
I think for any design you want to build it is necessary to decide just what you think is essential for a day of shooting. Pile all of those items on a table in front of you and it will give you a good idea of the size box you want to build.
View attachment 136543View attachment 136544
Now that is a box!! Very nice

For the range I used a large wooden box for many years. Because it was so large I kept adding stuff until it nearly needed a V8 and wheels to transport. I finally got a used tackle box and eliminated a lot of the heavy stuff. Much more better. In the field or at ronny I use a standard shooting bag.

For the range I used a large wooden box for many years. Because it was so large I kept adding stuff until it nearly needed a V8 and wheels to transport. I finally got a used tackle box and eliminated a lot of the heavy stuff. Much more better. In the field or at ronny I use a standard shooting bag.
That's where I'm at now. At the range where I typically shoot, the covered firing line is about 25 yds from the parking lot. So there's no need for a range box that requires a skid steer to transport. I was using a large canvas tool bag I'd got from Lowes. Really great. Multiple outside pockets, two large internal compartments, even some loops at the top I could carry my 1-piece ramrod in. But I never used about 75% of the stuff I put in it: different pairs of shooting glasses for different lighting conditions, extra canister of powder, bunch of extra tools "just in case", spray bottles of every possible liquid I might "need", etc. I also finally figured out that I don't really need to pack my spotting scope and Creedmoor stand along with everything else and can carry it separately. So I still take some of that extra stuff ("just in case"), but have now gone minimalistic. 😂 If I were shooting multiple guns, it would be a different deal to at least some degree, but I tend to keep totally separate sets of stuff in that case anyway, and so would probably opt for two "minimalistic" range boxes, where one would hold the "common items". Striving for simplicity at this point.

I have a range box that I used when shooting unmentionables and found it to be too large and bulky. For my BP guns of whatever sort I just use the generic military 30 or 50 cal. ammo can. One for each caliber and a separate one for the flintlocks. All the stuff for each fits into the can except the powder and range rod. I applaud those that build their own boxes.

There's a fellow that goes by Spider over on another forum who makes real nice range boxes. From pine to Osage Orange, on type is a flat top and the other is a slant front. Both can store up to two, 1 pound containers of powder too.
I've got four of them, which is probably too many but life is short.

I though I had a picture of my boxes but I can't find them right now. I'll do some more searching and give you the builder's info via PM if anyone is interested.

I have that style of box in Walnut and it's a great choice. It's small enough to be portable but large enough to handle most of the stuff you'll need.

I found an old carpenter's tool box on Ebay that just needed a little paint on the metal parts. It carries everything I need and then some. Billl

Attachments

• RangeBox1.jpeg
    RangeBox1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • RangeBox2.jpeg
    RangeBox2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I am a frugal / cheep bugger. I have for many years used a PLASTIC TACKLE FISHING BOX. works for me.

I bought and use the same thing. I found mine at a thrift store for almost nothing and it was pristine. I also have a Samsonite travel bag for my range scope and other stuff. What's great about these nice tackle boxes is they're made from H/C plastic. :rolleyes:

Hey y'all, I am in desperate need of a shooting box. I don't want a plastic box, or anything too modern looking. I am not planning on storing any guns in it. Do y'all have any recommendations on a range box?
A few of my friends have bought a box from Harbor Freight, take a look at their stock. I made this one based on dimensions I took from one at a BP shoot.

Attachments

• 951F469A-39AA-4CDF-B4E8-A6F348BBA591.jpeg
    951F469A-39AA-4CDF-B4E8-A6F348BBA591.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back