• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Shooting Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granth

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I am in desperate need of a shooting box. I don't want a plastic box, or anything too modern looking. I am not planning on storing any guns in it. Do y'all have any recommendations on a range box?

Here’s a simple one I made. Wasn’t hard to make. If I can do it, anybody can.
D96E633C-E58C-4270-AD5C-D24DED4C39E0.jpeg
835F89E0-B836-48E8-917A-221C1CA659C7.jpeg
701B5DEB-EABF-43F8-BA82-24B85D3B7798.jpeg

I am in the process of setting up a shooting box myself. I found a wooden bread box in an antique store. When I get the box refinished and add a couple of handles it will be my shooting box.

I'm feeling very virtuous and self-satisfied because I've decided to turn over a new leaf and switch to a "range box" that doesn't actually hold every BP tool, material, and accessory I own. So I'm using one of those (typically red) open plastic "tool carry" boxes. I may end up needing a slightly larger one, in which case I believe I'll swipe the (blue, heavier) one my wife used to keep all the brushes, combs, picks, etc. in for the horses when we had them. Anyhow: no cover, basically a simple box with a handle the length of it -- just a fancy tray with maybe 3 or 4 compartments to help organize the essential stuff. On mine, the handle is nicely grooved to cradle my range rod!

If you want to avoid plastic and look period-appropriate, then think about using the original version of that sort of thing. You know, the simple wooden tool carry with the ends that look like gables and the handle that's just a dowel. Here's a kit if you don't own a saw: Tool Box Wood Kit.

Yeah, in my case I don't care much about period-matching; but I'll probably make my own wooden version once I decide on what the optimal size is. It's at least a little classier, if probably also a little heavier. But you can make it "to fit". Probably will make it out of something like 1/2" poplar.

I use a small-ish wooden box made by a user on the AmericanLongRifles forum. My experience is the shooting box starts relatively small, then gets bigger as you accumulate more junk to bring, then gets smaller when you realize you only need like half of what you thought you did.

I always keep my eye open for 'suff'
Years ago at work they were discontinuing the resuscitators we carried in the cars so i grabbed one an re purposed the case it came in. Twenty years later the box still goes weekly to the range in the case.
I am not bothered by period correct...just shooting.
image.jpeg

Been thinking of building one also. I've be using a Home Depot canvas tool bag, and like Ray-Vigo said, the more you go shooting, your bag gets smaller. It's like when I used to backpack. At first I carried a heavy pack with everything I could possibly need. Then I started unpacking after a trip with a question for every item coming out of the pack. "I never took this out the entire time, and it's not an emergency item." "in an emergency, I better keep this." And, "Could have done without."

My last backpacking trips I bet I carried less than half of what I started with.

The American Rockies were not heavily invested in the eighteenth century due to the fact few rivers in them could handle the big Montreal friaght canoes that was needed to transport all the stuff you need to shoot a ml.
A quick look at TOW web sight reveals that no less then a 20 mile team set is needed to feed a Hawken.
Less is more. A haversack sized bag is more then enough room for any emergency treatment for you gun. Think small and light.
Keep track of everything you used in ten range days. Dump the rest.
Such a chest of tools can be a handy place to store stuff at home

Back