• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Low Tech Range Finding Instruments...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a "Low Tech" range finding tool of some sort, to add to my range box. I want a tool that actually works well, and not just a cool gadget showpiece. I recently saw an adjustable brass "Primitive Range Finder, patterned from an antique circa 1869" on TOTW made by TDC. I am looking for something very simple like this, but need not be "period correct" as long as it does the job. Would this be a good tool for ranging my Flinters? Or are these just gimmicky? What do you folks use and/or what would you suggest? Any tips on using these instruments or just any opinions you may have in general on this subject is welcome. Joel

It's not the simple mechanical device, but most hunting apps will give you circles around your location with the different ranges. All you need is a phone.

Screenshot_20240112-155901.jpg

What do you folks use and/or what would you suggest? Any tips on using these instruments or just any opinions you may have in general on this subject is welcome. Joel
I wasn't going to comment at all here but the above quote sort of open the door I guess hope I'm not offending. I find that I have no use for a range finder at either of the clubs I shoot at since backers are at known distance. If shooting off a range in NF for example I don't pay much attention to range. If I want to know it I can step it off very closely.

In hunting situations it is unimportant since it is easy for me to judge if a big game animal is within my point blank range.

I do own a Nikon range finder that over ten or so years has been used in actual hunting situations only a few times when hunting antelope during suppository season and then only to confirm that it was too far.

But it has it's fun purpose too. It can be entertaining to use it in a guessing game of " how far away is it". It's also helpful in training new hunters especially young people who have no reference whatsoever in their life experience.

I'm a simple kind of fellow, with poor depth perception, who typically hunts the same area. I step off different areas in the field before deer season and use that as a guideline for distance. To the prairie grass is this far and to the sapling is that far. Three years ago I shot a deer at what my eyes told me was 75 yards, my steps told me 132 yards. My friends fancy electric range finder said 137 yards, but only after the deer was down and field dressed.

Like you, I've thought about something simple like one of those range finders at TOTW. One issue that has kept me from purchasing one of those brass thingies is they are designed for things that stand 6 foot vertical not so much for game that stand horizontal. How much of a compromise would it be to turn it sideways and guess the length of a deer? I'm not sure, but it's just another variable in an already unknown issue. 🤔

I've been using a used Nikon I picked up online for years and it works great, probably $80. I also have a pretty inexpensive golf range finder.

@waarp8nt I think stepping off to be a good solution when stand hunting. Especially if you use the same stand regularly. For setting up on a new stand the use of a conventional laser assisted range finder is a good way to go to pick out some known points without making a disturbance.

Not a good idea to wait for game to appear since using any type of range finder is probably going to give you away. Especially with those wary whitetails.

@waarp8nt
Not a good idea to wait for game to appear since using any type of range finder is probably going to give you away. Especially with those wary whitetails.

You make a very valid point. Just moving my gun into shooting position damn near spooked the buck, had it not been for other distractions (gun shot at a distance) he would have ran before I could shoot.

But it has it's fun purpose too. It can be entertaining to use it in a guessing game of " how far away is it". It's also helpful in training new hunters especially young people who have no reference whatsoever in their life experience.

The "how far away is it" game is fun! I've been playing that game on the golf course with my buddy. It's super useful in golf to know how far you are from the pin, since if you get good you'll know the approximate distance that each of your clubs will go. We'll both take a guess, and then one of us will break out the range finder to confirm.

I used my hunting range finder more when I bowhunted (recurve) and distances were not that far away but it was important to know something was 25-30 yards away. I'd range different things around the tree stand, never ranged an actual deer.

I've read that revolutionary war shooters (snipers) would make range cards. If they knew where a battle was going to be fought, and had time they would walk off the distance to certain landmarks. Some would know how big the silhouette of man looked at certain distance's but most of all it was experience and practice with the rifle they were using.

Latest posts

Back