• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I made it to the range today to try out my Danny Caywood Jug Choked barrel I got back a couple of weeks ago. It DID make a difference! I tried several loads with 3F Swiss and the SKY Chief methods. My old 62 cal like it as did my 12. This 16 did not for some reason. Could be due to the fact that the other two were cylinder bores and this on has some choke. Who knows. Anyway, this is what I came home with using 80 gr Swiss 2F, 1 1/4 oz number 6's. Sequence was powder, 1/4 inch fiber wad, shot, thin shot card. It didn't do well with the half inch wet wads or even one half of the wet wad. Just seemed to like just what I described. I was able to repeat this pattern on 4 other targets, all loaded the same. This was at 30 yards. I am happy so far. The gun itself is a hodgepodge of good parts. The stock, barrel and hardware came from Jack Garner. The lock is a Chambers Colonial. Chris Walker put it all together and as I said, Danny Caywood jug choked it. At any rate, I sure do like it and am getting excited at the thought of getting after some turkeys in 2 or 3 weeks!

Attachments

• turkey target front.jpg
    turkey target front.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • turkey target back.jpg
    turkey target back.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Smoothbore.jpg
    Smoothbore.jpg
    830 KB · Views: 0
  • Smoothbore lock.jpg
    Smoothbore lock.jpg