• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod how long?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal b

40 Cal.
Reaction score
have a 37 inch barrel having a brass one made would you add 2 inches more or less? thanks

I like them to be barrel length plus about 4 inches. That's so when I dry ball and run the screw into the ball, I still have about 4" above the barrel to get hold of for extraction. Sounds long, might be a liability in brush, but it sure works for me when the chips are down and I've really messed up.

if you don't plan on running it through your pipes, the more the merrier to give you a better purchase when gripping it from the side. if you do plan on running it through the pipes, it was not uncommon for ramrods to extend an inch or so past the muzzle when mounted underneath.

I have not noticed many, if any original guns, Euro or American, to have ram rods extended beyond the muzzle. There are some good reasons not to have that condition, one being it is much easier to snag on something, and or, tear out the upper thimble and break the rod. I have seen people with longer than muzzle rods in their guns, but that doesn't make it a wise choice, especially on a hunting rifle carried in the woods.

Some of the catalog houses sell rod extensions. Put one in your bag for cleaning. You could also make a longer jag. Get an allen screw of the size your jag/rod tip needs and cut the threaded part off. Put this in the button instead of the short one. The rod will hang on everything you walk near if it is sticking past the muzzle. I have one for looks in the pipes and one I carry that is longer. The rods on most of the old guns have probably been replaced many times. Who know what the original rod looked like.

Wick Ellerbe said:
I have not noticed many, if any original guns, Euro or American, to have ram rods extended beyond the muzzle. There are some good reasons not to have that condition, one being it is much easier to snag on something, and or, tear out the upper thimble and break the rod. I have seen people with longer than muzzle rods in their guns, but that doesn't make it a wise choice, especially on a hunting rifle carried in the woods.

Yes, that is a common argument against longer than muzzle length rods. I have used extra long rods for many years in the woods. Never a problem. One must know where the muzzle is at all times when handling any gun.

The solution to the RR "sticking out past the end of the muzzle", is to have a ram rod extension. Mine is brass and is approx. 5" long and has a #8-32 screw on one end and a #10-32 on the other end. This is a very handy item and I use it in the shop and carry it when hunting. It's also very inexpensive.

Having a RR that sticks out past the muzzle might look "rustic" as in the Sgt. York movie, but it's really quite unnecessary if an extension is available. You'd think more shooters and hunters would avail themselves of a RR extension in lieu of "looking rustic". Asre gripping a longer than muzzle length RR, I've never had any difficulty gripping a RR that's flush w/ the muzzle due to a proper fit...Fred

The RRs on both of my longrifles extended about 1 1/2" beyond the muzzle. When you fire, it gets the ramrod tip dirty and thus your hands. Allows for a little better grip and protects the muzzle a bit. I wouldn't want any more extra length, as getting it snagged on brush while walking through thick brush might pop out one of your RR thimbles.

Wick Ellerbe said:
I have not noticed many, if any original guns, Euro or American, to have ram rods extended beyond the muzzle.

length past the muzzle not appearing foreign on an original rifle probably would have been closer to what I was trying to initially describe. As flush would overwhelmingly be the norm, especially with modern brass ramrods. I did not consider the threaded adapters which would make flush even more practical. I am going to post original Christopher and Andrew Gumph ca 1800 and 1830 respectively and a Martin Shell ca 1800 that demonstrates my original point. I can pull many more examples if needed. just as soon as get set up to post scanned images into this forum.

and yes, the ramrods depicted could have been replacements as the original one broke. However, they would either have been replaced by an individual contemporary to the rifle, which still validates their length, or they could be modern replacements in which case they would probably have been made in a manner that was appropriate for museum restoration by a professional. Also, the wood may have adjusted over time making full insertion of the ramrod in the channel impractical.

I usually drill my RR holes into the stock at least 1/2" longer than the bore depth. And if I can get an inch more, great.
This way I always have the end of the RR exposed when it is in the bore, but even with the muzzle or 1/2" to 3/4" past the end of the muzzle when it is installed into the RR pipes.

That gives ya plenty to get a T handle screwed into the tip, or a loop around it or whatever.

Keith Lisle

PS: If you are referring to length for a Range Rod, I would make it 42 to 44". That way you can use it for a 31" up to 44" barrel when ya had a 1.5" long jag on the end of it. And if making such, don't forget to add another inch in length for the rod to go into the Handle.

sc0001_zpslmmtzv4r.png
[/URL][/img]

sc0000_zpse0laxfly.png
[/URL][/img]

wick, I am not arguing the point as I consider you along with almost all of the members on this forum as my superiors regarding the traditional muzzleloading topic as a whole. since I mount hickory and use a brass ramrod as a tool separate from the rifle, are their other reasons beside the ones already mentioned that would make the two materials functionally non interchangeable? ie: the rate at which they dissipate heat?

Mine is 3/8 longer than barrel depth. when there is a charge and a ball, it sticks out an inch or more according to the load. when it is in the pipes, it sits 3/8 ish lower than the barrel. really only used out in the woods.
if im at the range, I have a fiberglass rod that I use. is about 6 inch longer than barrel.

I like the one that stays on the ML to be the length of the barrel channel. If it is a range rod I like it about 4" longer but sometimes I have several guns of the same caliber but different length I use the same range rod in so it would be 4" longer than the longest barrel.

I myself wouldn't carry a brass rod on the ML on a regular basis but it would make a good range rod. For hunting I don't carry the range rod but I would have it at camp if needed.

I've read about the wiping stick carried in the bore also, but I always thought that would mean carrying the rifle unloaded. If carried in a loaded rifle it would stick out close to 8 or 10 inches, which is really asking for trouble, and the shooter could easily forget about it and launch the stick at an escaping deer. OTOH carrying an unloaded rifle in the woods is not especially wise either.

I believe the real solution in today's world is to have a ramrod even with the end of the barrel for woods use and a range rod that is about a foot longer.

Drop a rod down your bore..measure..you will gain length with loading jag attached...
Now drop a rod down your ram rod pipes and measure.
Is it drilled deep enough.
My rods are solid brass 3 inches past the muzzle..
I hunt plink only....so the h/c police can take another call.
no issues with 42" bbl.rr pipes are not going anywhere.
The only time I ding anything is in my basement ceiling with the lower light fixtures. And it only happened once..short learning curve.

Ymmv.....

Missed your comments for quite awhile. When the RR hole is drilled, my limiting depth is the tab on the TG which usually ends up at bore depth or just slightly beyond. What enables you to go further back?....Fred

Back