• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod fallout.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have very old ramrod in my 1850s German Jaeger. Ramrod falls out too easily. If you have a straight answer before continuing my post before we get "deeper" into ML terminology!

Here is something I tried and it worked pretty well. I had a rifle with a loose ramrod. I tried putting a wrap of tape on it to secure it, but it kept coming off, or was in the way when loading. So I took the ramrod out of the gun, took the barrel out of the stock, and added a line of "shoe goo" near the bottom of the ramrod channel. Let it dry thoroughly. then I reassembled the gun and replaced the ramrod. It made the last inch or two of the ramrod's return to the gun "sticky" and it quit trying to leave home unexpectedly. And it is invisible from outside. It took two tries to get the right amount of "goo" in the right spot.

ADK Bigfoot

Have very old ramrod in my 1850s German Jaeger. Ramrod falls out too easily. If you have a straight answer before continuing my post before we get "deeper" into ML terminology!
Two easy ways to fix your RR. 1. Clean the end of the RR that will be on the bottom of the RR hole of oil and or any finish you have so you are at bare wood. Glue a strip of soft wood (like pine) 1/8" wide X 1" long about a 1/16" thick. Place this strip just above your RR brass/metal end if you have one or about 1" from the RR end. Make sure the bottom most end of the strip is tapered to nothing so the entry edge does not catch on the RR entry pipe/hole.
2. Glue a strip of leather on the inside of the entry pipe similar to the size of the aforementioned pine strip. The dimensions I suggested are approximates of what you may need. You might need to fatten or trim the wood and or leather to arrive at a snug fit. I lke them snug as recoil can cause pop up.
Larry

I have made a small flat spring that puts slight pressure on the rod like some CVA rifles have. the spring is secured into the barrels ram rod channel close to the breech plug by the barrel and small pin it rotates on. The rod never falls out or shoots loose.
horn & bag 001.jpg
horn & bag 002.jpg

One of the reasons I love my hand made ramrods , strong and they dont fall out ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617-114422.png
    Screenshot_20230617-114422.png
    411.9 KB · Views: 0
Back