• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Radioactive frizzen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The January issue of Muzzle Blasts has an article by the Bevel Brothers about this subject. While U-238 is commonly found in nature, I wouldn't want to carry it around in my pocket. The danger in using it to sole frizzens is in the microscopic particles that become airborn when struck by the flint and then inhaled by everyone around. The half-life of U-238 is about 4.5 BILLION years so it is accumulative in the human body.
The long half life means it emits very little radiation. The problem with uranium is the toxicity. The chemical action of the heavy metal ions on your cells is far more dangerous than the occasional alpha partical.

I was reading in an OLD muzzleloading magazine-buckskin report? Cover was gone- that a radioactive steel was used to sole frizzens . That it sparked excellent, but was a HUGE health hazard. Anyone ever heard of this,or was this an April fools joke?

I had one that a gunsmith put on the frizzen of a custom gun I had in the nineties. Sparked like crazy.
I did not know it was radioactive until the gunsmith had it installed and he told me. When I asked how radioactive it was , he said the level was low enough that it would not be a problem in that application, but he wouldn’t want to carry it around in his shorts.
I used the gun a lot for a few months afterwards, then sold it through the gunsmith to customer he did work for in one of the southern states because the stock did not fit me as well as I wanted it to. The buyer knew about the half-soling and was okay with it.

Yes it is and it's generally much higher when you fly. I (as part of a group) do radiation monitoring and you can see examples of "Granite countertops" below - Rome (and Iran) is a bit of a hot spot.

Environmentally you're generally fine pretty much anywhere...unless a government agent walks up to you and says "3.6 roentgen, not great, not terrible" ;-D

Attachments

• WWII Memorial.jpg
    WWII Memorial.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Rome.jpg
    Rome.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 89
I had one that a gunsmith put on the frizzen of a custom gun I had in the nineties. Sparked like crazy.
I did not know it was radioactive until the gunsmith had it installed and he told me. When I asked how radioactive it was , he said the level was low enough that it would not be a problem in that application, but he wouldn’t want to carry it around in his shorts.

Like sgtsquid was saying, the risk with DU is not the radiation but the chemical toxicity of the element itself. I doubt a DU half sole would give off enough radiation to cause cellular damage/mutation, but inhalation or ingestion of small particles while shooting could cause poisoning over time (though I have no idea how long this might take, and it would certainly vary by person).

A friend of mine had a rifle with what he called "Moon Metal" on the frizzen and I'm guessing that's the same thing. It sparked fine but he got bit by the Authenticity Bug and installed a regular frizzen to replace it. I worked around radiation for a couple of years and the environment was "hotter" than this but we had a radiation monitoring group who made sure we wore a film badge and two dosimeters every time we had to actually go into the hot areas. This frizzen retread stuff is very minor --- unless, as somebody mentioned, you happen to inhale it or get it in your eye. On the other hand, it's been my observation that life is plumb full of hazards and the more you can avoid the better your chances are of being around to find new ones.

In the seventies I put a Russell K. Hamm (of Oleander, Florida) sole on a worn out frizzen. It was supposedly decommissioned radiative material. Sparked like crazy and could catch a shag carpet on fire with sharp flint. Put it on a pistol that I sold. Now have a Davis Twigg lock which never sparked. Case-n-it might work but have another Hamm sole but worry have its health hazards. I make fire steels and could easily forge and temper a sure sparking frizzen sole. For the Hamm sold I would anneal the frizzen, drill holes through frizzen and sole and countersink for a brass rivet peined on. Or maybe J.B. Weld or other super expoxy. Would not be able to use in competitions but should be a boon during hunting season. I sometimes like my finger and wipe off the frizzen face and pan before reloading. A rag might do the same and be safer than wiping a radioactive sole with finger and then putting said finger in mouth. Since Russ Hamm is not longer in business or around, need to ask others if it is dangerous.

Don’t sweat it Guys... I have a Whole Body Dose of over 12 Rem..
I worked in the nuclear power industry for 34 years, I only glow in the dark if I’m out in the sunshine too much during the day.

Latest posts

Back