• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Radioactive frizzen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam squanch

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I was reading in an OLD muzzleloading magazine-buckskin report? Cover was gone- that a radioactive steel was used to sole frizzens . That it sparked excellent, but was a HUGE health hazard. Anyone ever heard of this,or was this an April fools joke?

I had one. It wasn't the whole frizzen. It was a piece of metal to use for a half-sole. It worked great, but it would light up a Geiger counter. I was working for a company that sold nuclear scanners and computers for industrial process measurement and control. I sent it back to the home office radiation dept. for proper disposal.

Last edited:
Don't remember all the details, but it's true. I think that I read about it in buckskin Report also. Mid to late 70's.

One of the guys in our group attended a shoot where someone was using one of those. He said the sparks would fall all the way to the ground and actually bounce. Folks were seriously worried about the safety in having something that generated that many sparks on the line.

One of the guys in our group attended a shoot where someone was using one of those. He said the sparks would fall all the way to the ground and actually bounce. Folks were seriously worried about the safety in having something that generated that many sparks on the line.

That's what I've read too. When a gun with such a frizzen was dry fired, the sparks were supposed to be brilliantly bright and would take a couple seconds to burn out, bouncing around in the pan and on the ground in an impressive mini pyrotechnic show. I guess if you wore a respirator while shooting, it would be fine. 😄

"Goin' out to shoot my flinter...I'll be back in time for supper."

iu

I had one. It wasn't the whole frizzen. It was a piece of metal to use for a half-sole. It worked great, but it would light up a Geiger counter. I was working for a company that sold nuclear scanners and computers for industrial process measurement and control. I sent it back to the home office radiation dept. for proper disposal.
Half sole.....is that something to do with its half life?

🤭

Wow, ran that by my brother who was a Nuke tech in the Navy on a sub and refueled reactors later as a civilian. He found it quite interesting and jokingly wondered how many were still out there glowing in closets:ghostly:.

Half sole.....is that something to do with its half life?
A half-sole is a piece of metal that goes on the face of a frizzen when it wears out. LIke having your shoes half-soled in the old days when shoes were repaired.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think the army guys would worry about the little frizzen.

The M1A1 AIM, M1A2 SEP and all subsequent Abrams models feature depleted uranium in both the hull and turret armor. Each Abrams variant after the M1A1 have been equipped with depleted uranium armor of different generations.

i don't think the army guys would worry about the little frizzen.

The M1A1 AIM, M1A2 SEP and all subsequent Abrams models feature depleted uranium in both the hull and turret armor. Each Abrams variant after the M1A1 have been equipped with depleted uranium armor of different generations.
Heck, we use it for projectiles. .50bmg and larger. I'd be more worried about the sparks being that hot hitting the ground, flammable clothing, etc. than I would be about the radiation.

I think the argument was just sitting there,it was ok, but the sparks or residue from the frizzen could’ve been inhaled.

Latest posts

Back