• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Racoon Roundworm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Why is this in the Muzzleloader Hunting area of the forum?

Yesterday morning, as well as this morning, I saw the same squirrel..., and it was ill. It was jumping and darting for no apparent reason (at first I thought it was scrambling-about with a second squirrel that I just couldn't see), but no, it was alone. When it wasn't zipping around, it was walking, and while doing that it stumbled, jerked, and a couple of times it fell over on its side.

So I did some research and the most common reason for this behaviour is Racoon Roundworm in the squirrel's brain. The squirrels will sometimes dig through racoon skat going after seeds, and if the racoon has round worm (not fatal to racoons) the racoon skat has roundworm eggs. These hatch inside the squirrel and then sometimes make their way to the squirrel's brain. :shocked2:

Why is this important to us? Well first, if you eat squirrel brains (some think this is a delicacy) you should know the larve of the racoon roundworm is very durable. Poaching or baking may not kill them. Eating the larvae can cause serious or fatal problems for humans.

The larvae are so tenacious, that bleaching clothing exposed to the larve has been shown to be ineffective in some cases. Folks decontaminating a sandbox that has been used by a racoon as a latrine are urged to wear masks and to burn the clothing worn when done. [source: Toronto Star 6/12/12] The eggs themselves survive quite a while as well, perhaps as much as two years in the soil. So even if an area has been cleared of racoons, an area where racoons have used as a latrine (they apparently like to poop in one spot, and several individuals will use the same spot) will remain a problem for many months. [Source: CDC Emerging Infectious Diseases Vol 9 No.12 Dec 2003]

So the reason why this is here on the forum.... if a squirrel has been going through racoon skat, the microscopic eggs may be on the squirrel's fur, and transferred to the hunter's hands or clothing when that squirrel is collected after harvesting. :( The eggs can then be accidentally spread to other areas and ingested by the hunter or anybody handling the hunting clothes. The good news is that where the cross contamination happens often is away from areas where they allow folks to hunt squirrels.

Also, getting the worms is pretty rare, and the worms migrating to organs and to the brain is rarer than getting the worms themselves. The biggest problem is with small kids playing in uncovered sand boxes, (as well as their tendency to put everything in their mouths) :barf: . The problem appears to be amplified when you have a large population of racoons, which mostly happens in suburban and urban areas (where hunting often isn't allowed) where there is plenty of discarded human food, food left outside for pets, and even folks who think it cool to feed the cute racoons. :nono:

So when hunting squirrels, aka tree rats, aka limb bacon..., just be aware that if the squirrel is acting odd, stumbling around like it got into some booze, or jumping and dashing as though something scared it when nothing is around to do so...., think twice about harvesting that critter for the table. IF you are, perhaps, harvesting suburban squirrels with a modified rat trap in a suburban area, you might want to rethink adding them to your table since you didn't observe them before they were trapped???

If in the woods, you might want to put that odd "drunken" squirrel out of its misery, but handle it as toxic when you do, and don't leave it around for other critters to pick up the bugs.

I've heard of this in the past, but didn't pay it much attention, for while I love squirrel hunting, I don't do squirrel brains, and I'd never seen an afflicted squirrel until the past two days. So I posted this for what it's worth.

:idunno:

LD

Raccoon round worm is a big danger to little kids. The defecate in the ground the kids use the kids get exposed.

My son [wildlife control] has 3 daycares he has to keep the coons away from do to that threat.

Never eat brains for that reason and others, wash your hands immediately after handling any wildlife. Wear latex protective gloves when handling.

Being HC stops when you can get seriously ill or die IMHO

Nerve tissue, including brain tissue, often harbors not only parasites but also prions and prions are not rendered inert as are most parasites when cooked. Best stay away from brains excepting, of course, the one in your own noggin. :nono:

Moose up here get infected by deer with Brain Worms..don't know about squirrels....
Thanks for the info,,

This explains most British folk behaviour!
I use to think is was excessive drinking!!

You go any town centre at night and they all look like that crazy squirrel!

B :thumbsup:

I think it's a regional thing only where you have racoons..., in big numbers coupled with squirrel populations...so suburbia and urban areas adjacent to big parks. When the racoons have normal, foraging situations in the woods and meadows, their numbers are smaller, and they roam farther to forage. Much less chance that a squirrel is going to happen upon a heavily "soiled" racoon latrine, and get infected. In suburbia especially, the racoons have a lot of food, and it's close, so populations are high, and the presence of a racoon "latrine" is close and well used....add to that a good population of grey squirrels and they get infected. Even if you don't have the squirrels, if you get racoons into an area, they still may have a population boom and contaminate an area where little kids will play. The squirrels are, in this case, a "sentinel species" for us.

OH I saw the infected squirrel again this morning.

Further, it's very rare that a squirrel gets rabies. One site reported that a single case of squirrel rabies was identified in PA in 2003, and it had been 12 years since the previous, single case. From what I've read (posted by a few Veteranarians) a squirrel with rabies will get agressive toward other animals. In this case the squirrel that is infected I've seen chased away by several other squirrels, and is very much not agressive. So non-agressive plus the obvious motor imparement and that roundworm is much more common in squirrels = my SWAG...Scientific, Wild Arsed, Guess.

LD

Most animals have a lead deficiency...Especially the crazy acting ones. All they need is a high speed injection...I have high speed syringes for any animal and every disease.... :haha:

Call your Game Warden & report it. He should be able to at least tell you what your options are.

Me, I live in a suburb 7 minutes from downtown Pgh, and when I have problems with the local animals - red squirrels, rats...I shoot them. .22 shot. The shot shells make noise. CB caps don't, and will kill the vermin, but present more of a safety problem. No one wants rats around.

Just shoot it with an air rifle. Neighbors probably won't even hear it. If they do, ask them if they want their children infected by roundworm?

Richard/Grumpa

Loyalist Dave said:
So non-agressive plus the obvious motor imparement and that roundworm is much more common in squirrels = my SWAG...Scientific, Wild Arsed, Guess.
I have about 30 walnut trees and 15 hickories in my yard, so you won't be surprised to hear I have a lot of squirrels. We've lived here almost 50 years and have been watching squirrels closely all that time. No telling how many times I've seen squirrels acting exactly as you describe, literally hundreds, at least. Usually it's a pair, assumed to be young, and they are doing what most animals do, 'play' in the form of sham fighting/wrestling. Many, many times I've seen single squirrel do the same, sometimes by wrestling with a forsythia bush outside our window, occasionally just out in the bare lawn. None of these squirrels have raccoon roundworm, I'm sure. I can identify many of them, and they continue in good heath.

It's possible you are not interpreting the behavior correctly, IMHO.

Spence

The coons love all the daycare sandboxes as their latrine.

This is a very serious problem when at least 1/3 of the animals tested have the round worm. We used to think the Atlantic strain rabies was the big problem but not.

If the squirrels are eating ripe berries and fallen apples they will act stupid as they are blind @$# drunk.

It's possible you are not interpreting the behavior correctly, IMHO.

As I mentioned when I first saw it, I thought it was a pair of squirrels and I couldn't see the other one, but as I observed it, it was alone.

Three days, constant, consistent behavior, and always alone. Nope, this dude is ill.

LD

Back